Adding video input to the comp

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
So basically I have an IP TV basestation that has HDMI/composite/S-Video outputs. I would like to connect this station to my comp (not the monitor) and watch the TV boradcast in a window.

The station has a remote and it has its own recording facilities so I don't really need any functionality, all I need is the picture and the sound to be transmitted to my PC.

My video card (5850) does not have any video inputs I'm aware of. Unless the HDMI is two-way but I don't think this to be the case.

I realize that I could buy a TV card but I really don't need any functionality beyond the video/sound transmission.

Is there any easy way of achieving this?

I need some way of transferring the video/sound and then display it in a very simple manner, e.g. a window without any added distractions.

Thanks for your help!

(I use Windows 7 64 bit if that matters.)

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Doesn't your TV support multiple inputs as well as PIP? I'd go to that route if what you want is to watch TV while working on the PC. Let the TV take care of it. No fuss.

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Doesn't your TV support multiple inputs as well as PIP? I'd go to that route if what you want is to watch TV while working on the PC. Let the TV take care of it. No fuss.

My TV, which I use as a monitor, indeed has a lot of input ports, and currently the TV box is connected to my TV via HDMI. I can switch between the PC and the TV using the remote control. It's very inconvenient and I also don't like that I cannot use both functions (TV + PC) at the same time.

You are right that my TV has PIP. Unfortunately the PIP is a no go. It bothers me that it floats on the screen, occluding a significant part of the desktop. Now, obviously, you could ask "Wouldn't a window cover the desktop as well?" Sure, it would, but I could drag that away and resize quickly with the mouse.

So, I would really like a solution that allows for windowed display.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
You have to buy a capture card or usb device. Really there is no other way. Years ago they used to make video cards with capture functions, but I haven't seen any for a couple years now. Without a capture card their is no way for the pc to digitize the video.

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
It seems to me that TV cards are deliberately limited to 320x200 resolution. Now, I don't want to record anything, but I assume it's also the resolution at which the input signal is displayed.

It's incredible how complicated it is to have a simple video input displayed in a simple window.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Not sure why you've found a 320x200 limit. My old Hauppauge PCI card handles Video In at multiple resolutions from my cable TV input and my old VidCam.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
svideo is limited to around 800x600. There are a few composite or DVI input capable video capture products out there lacking a tuner, but being a "professional" and "vertical" product they're going to cost you. Google for 'HD-SDI' to get an idea of how expensive. The low end DVI capture hardware weighs in at $1000 or so.

Really, really low end hardware for svideo or composite in can be had for about $35 but the image quality will be like broadcast analog SDTV at best.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Going the video capture route is far to complex. In fact, you'd be better of just buying a second monitor "television" just to watch TV.

If you really want to watch television on your PC and use Windows Media Center for instance just get a TV Tuner card which has HDMI, composite or S-Video inputs.

Almost all cheap PCI TV Tuner cards have S-Video and composite inputs. You are going to pay more for HDMI or DVI inputs and I don't know of any which even have those.

mmnno

Jan 24, 2008
A blackmagic intensity pro should be able to capture DVI/HDMI, or HD over component. You could hook that up to your base station if it doesn't use HDCP. If it does use HDCP and doesn't have a component output, you are out of luck.

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by capture (recording or simply 'catching' the signal) but I merely need the video signal to be displayed. I'll look into the TV card offerings.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Video capture devices include those made by ViewCast for instance which can "capture" or record live video and decompress and then possibly recompress the video for live streaming for instance. Far more complex than what you are asking for. Most "capture" devices are just for inputing a VHS signal and then converting it to DVD, for instance.

I recommend either the Huappage or ATI TV Wonder "TV" Tuner cards.