Question Adding an SSD as the boot drive to an existing system

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not really sure where to put this.
As a result of building a new rig for myself and dismantling an older one, I now have a spare 256GB Toshiba SSD that I'd like to add to my wife's Dell as her boot drive. The system currently has a platter drive that has gotten slow as hell.
I DO NOT want to lose a single file, picture, document...ANYTHING in this PC...or I'll hear about it for years to come. (that's experience talking.)
If I put the SSD in the system, change the BIOS boot order, and install Windows 10 on it without removing the OS from the spinner...won't the two versions (both W-10) "fight" each other?
The ONLY thing I'd want to remove from the existing drive would be the OS.
I can't just clone that drive...1 TB won't fit into 256 GB.

Edit: changed drive to 256 from 240.

Last edited:

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Yup. If I used Seagate's SeaTools, the drive's S.M.A.R.T. was readable. At this point, I don't know if the problem was the drive, the missing drivers (mentioned above), or the Crucial software...HOWEVER, fixing the missing drivers issue didn't solve the firmware error problem or their software not being able to access it...so...just made sense to return it.
Good call. Microsoft's inbox storage drivers should be 'universal' enough to fully support basic functionality without a vendor-specific driver. e.g. SMART, firmware updates, etc.

The CSR who don't know the difference were just having you jump through the perfunctory troubleshooting flow chart hoops. At least it failed early that the seller likely will just replace with a new one rather than failing down the road after the 30 or 60 day seller return policy, forcing you to go through the manufacturer, where you would probably get a refurb in exchange.

Jul 27, 2020
My office PC's Crucial MX300 750GB froze during the last firmware update few years ago. I waited 10 to 15 minutes and then trepidly, rebooted the PC, fully expecting it to not boot. It didn't. Hung at the BIOS screen. Rebooted it again and thankfully, Windows loaded up like nothing had happened. I don't remember if the firmware update completed successfully. I didn't want to try again.

• Wow
Reactions: solidsnake1298

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Let's kick around some 1TB NVMe options to replace that Crucial MX500 SSD...

HP FX900 Pro
I already have a 1TB HP EX950. No complaints except that it comes without any kind of software package.
ach.png

Being a Gen 3.0 drive, it's not as fast as the 2TB WD SN770 drive I have...but it ain't bad...and it's only about $10 more than the Crucial MX500.

acg.png

Tweaktown rates it VERY highly: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10070/hp-ssd-fx900-pro-2tb-iops-champion/index.html

Next up, the SKHynix P41. Also rated VERY highly, but about $25 more than the HP FX900 Pro.

Then we have the WD_Black 1TB SN850X
Another drive highly rated by the folks at Tweaktown: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1...k-sn850x-2tb-ssd-bics-5-powerhouse/index.html

Also about $20 more than the HP FX950 Pro drive.

Finally, the Kingston Fury Renegade: (I can only find reviews for the heat sink model...my mobo has built in "Frozer" heat sinks, so I probably wouldn't use the one with the drive)

Again, rated very highly: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10261/kingston-fury-renegade-hs-2tb-ssd-gamers-edge/index.html
Also about $20 more than the HP FX900Pro.

Looking at the reviews for all 4 drives, they seem to swap places in the various tests done. No one really seems to stand out as "BETTER" than the others, so it looks like the only real difference would be in the available software packages...which for these, don't really amount to much. I have the WD Dashboard from my SN770, IIRC, the SK Hynix comes with Macrium and their "Drive Manager," and the Kingston comes with their "SSD Manager" software. The HP drive is the only one that comes with nothing more than Acronis cloning software. (which also came with the WD SN770)

I freely admit, I don't know enough about all the "techy stuff" mentioned in the reviews to make an accurate comparison...all I can do is look at the "shiny numbers" and go "oooooh!"

Jul 27, 2020
Don't discount Crucial just because of one bad experience with one of their cheapest drives. I have the Crucial P2 and P5 NVMe SSDs. No issues to report. The P2 (TLC version) is in my older Z97 based PC while the P5 is in the Z790 PC. Didn't bother to download their management software coz didn't see any point in doing that if everything's working fine.

I have the Kingston Firecuda 520 NVMe SSD (unused) and the Hynix P31 (also unused) so can't say much about those. I do like WD's software so maybe consider going with SN850 non-X (I wouldn't trust the X version coz of the bad reports I've seen) or just get another WD SN770.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Don't discount Crucial just because of one bad experience with one of their cheapest drives. I have the Crucial P2 and P5 NVMe SSDs. No issues to report. The P2 (TLC version) is in my older Z97 based PC while the P5 is in the Z790 PC. Didn't bother to download their management software coz didn't see any point in doing that if everything's working fine.

I have the Kingston Firecuda 520 NVMe SSD (unused) and the Hynix P31 (also unused) so can't say much about those. I do like WD's software so maybe consider going with SN850 non-X (I wouldn't trust the X version coz of the bad reports I've seen) or just get another WD SN770.

Haven't seen any bad about the SN850X, but another SN770? Could do...I'm not at all disappointed in that one... :Hmm:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

I have the SN850X!! What do the reports say? Mines the 2TB model, and it's been great so far.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I seriously considered the SK P41 and the SN850X on my build but chose the Samsung 980Pro when they went on sale. As you mentioned all of the drives are good drives so don't spend too much time on it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Bah...earlier today, Amazon had the 1TB WD_ Black SN770 on sale for $67+. I had to go out on a "project" for my wife, so I didn't drop the hammer. Got home, and it's gone up to $79+.
abe.thumb.png

I hate it when procrastination bites me in the wallet. (at $67 it made sense over some of the faster drives. The HP FX900 Pro is only $79.99. and reviews show it at at least 20% faster in random reads...whatever that means. :p )

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It means snappier performance overall since random reads are way more common than sequential reads.

Well...yeah, I kind of understand that...it especially applies to gaming, but otherwise...remember, I'm not a geek...just a hobbyist/user.
Anyway, I'm not in a hurry...I'll wait a few days and see if the price drops again. Like many things at Amazon, the price for that one has been up/down/up/down over the past couple of weeks.

LOL...no sooner did I post the above...the SN770 is back at Amazon for $67+. Order placed. SOB's...30 minutes later, price dropped another $3. Cancelled and re-ordered.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Boot to the USB, the Windows installer pops up...I can get maybe 30 seconds into it...the screen goes black. The "power light" on the monitor stays on, the fans in the box continue to run...but nothing on screen. I've let it sit for 30 minutes, just in case her OLD PC is just slow...nothing.
How far in the menu tree do you get to. Is it failing at a certain step every time, or at 30 seconds more or less exactly, no matter what step you're on? (Overheating, heatsink not mounted or clogged with dirt, or fan not spinning?)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
How far in the menu tree do you get to. Is it failing at a certain step every time, or at 30 seconds more or less exactly, no matter what step you're on? (Overheating, heatsink not mounted or clogged with dirt, or fan not spinning?)

30 seconds is just a guess. I get the first window asking if I want to install...location, language, etc. Click "Yes," it pops up the "INSTALL" window...click that, a few seconds later, the screen goes black.
I've had Core Temp installed for a while. In Windows, it never gets hotter than about 50C. This has the basic Intel puck CPU cooler. I had it out and blew the dust out today...suggested by Igor in case that was the cause of the network issue. There was only very minimal dust.

(This was moved to OS)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
30 seconds is just a guess. I get the first window asking if I want to install...location, language, etc. Click "Yes," it pops up the "INSTALL" window...click that, a few seconds later, the screen goes black.
I've had Core Temp installed for a while. In Windows, it never gets hotter than about 50C. This has the basic Intel puck CPU cooler. I had it out and blew the dust out today...suggested by Igor in case that was the cause of the network issue. There was only very minimal dust.

(This was moved to OS)

So, it appears to be hanging on the disk-detection part. Maybe it's unhappy with the partition-mix it sees to install onto? (Blank SSD?)

Or perhaps there's something else going on there.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So, it appears to be hanging on the disk-detection part. Maybe it's unhappy with the partition-mix it sees to install onto? (Blank SSD?)

Or perhaps there's something else going on there.

Blank, fully formatted SSD. I KNOW the drive works, I spent some time last night moving files onto it. I can easily move them back onto the HDD should I try again to make this her boot drive.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Not according to the Windows installer.
"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."
In the "where to install Windows" stage, does the disk report any partitions such as Disk 0 Partition 1, or is the entire disk reporting "unallocated space" for Disk 0? Try selecting the disk and see if the Delete function/text becomes selectable (from greyed out or unselectable state). If so, delete partitions and when that completes, reboot the PC and start Setup again.

This presumes NO other writeable disks attached except SSD and USB (and/or optical disk drive for CD/DVD), so that you don't risk mistakenly mucking with any other drives.