Adding an SSD as 2nd drive, move windows from old HDD to new SSD

Bnt

Mar 11, 2015
Hi,

I've purchased a new SSD and added it to my laptop as a second drive, so i'm keeping both my HDD and my SSD.
I want to move my windows install from the HDD to the SSD, but haven't been successful until now. I have acronis true image 2014 and I made a backup of my HDD but when I recover it on my SSD the windows partition on the SSD is not C, causing a lot of issues with windows (at least I guess it's the reson because windows still constantly accessing my old windows install on the other hard drive as well as the new one.

How could I do?

I want to avoid a fresh install because of multiple issues with Sony's drivers that I spent a lot of time solving on my current install, and my old install is still pretty new :/

Thanks!

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
If it is cloned correctly your ssd will be c and you're supposed to disconnect the cloned drive which might be your problem.. I swapped to a ssd in my laptop several months ago and ended up doing a clean install to overcome several issues. I am now of the opinion that a clean install is the best thing to do when migrating to a ssd unless you're cloning a clean install.

Bnt

Mar 11, 2015
Ok, i got it, I "recovered", when it finished i disconnected the old HDD in the BIOS, booted windows, and then restarted and reconnected the HDD.
Now the SSD has got the C:/ drive letter and the HDD is E:/

Thanks!

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Make sure that SSD is 4k aligned. It might not be if it's an image from the HDD.