Adding a shelf to an entertainment center

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
I have an entertainment center with 2 shelves for holding the audio/video equipment. I'd like to add an additional shelf. Seeing as how I will be going to Lowes/Home Depot for supplies for this project, what kind of wood should I be looking for? For example, should I consider pressboard or stick with regular board lumber?

The existing wood looks a lot like maple, but its a little darker probably due to a light coat of varnish. The dimensions of the existing shelves are 18.5" wide, 13.5" deep, and 5/16" thick. I wouldn't have to go as deep or thick on this new shelf, the DVD player I'm wanting to add is that deep nor that heavy.

techfuzz

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
MDF would probably be fine if you plan to paint it. Otherwise, see if they have a scrap piece of birch ply they could cut for you. Sand, slap on some stain/varnish, and you're done.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: techfuzz
Is birch similar in color to maple?

techfuzz
Yep. It's pretty pale. Get a piece of scrap and play around with the stain color until you're happy. Be sure to do two coats and let it try completely. Minwax makes this stuff that's both stain and laquer all in one, but I can't recall the name.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
I actually went with a piece of MDF that was fairly cheap. The birch had too many knots in it and didn't look like that good a quality. I think I'll just leave it as-is since it really isn't that noticable and I doubt anyone else will notice unless they look closely.

techfuzz

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I actually went with a piece of MDF that was fairly cheap. The birch had too many knots in it and didn't look like that good a quality. I think I'll just leave it as-is since it really isn't that noticable and I doubt anyone else will notice unless they look closely.

techfuzz

:camera:'s :)

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
:camera:'s :)
Maybe tonight after I get back from dinner. I'm taking my fiance out to dinner for VDay in a little while.

techfuzz

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
needs some varnish. two coats would probably do it just fine

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
needs some varnish. two coats would probably do it just fine
Is it that noticable not being painted?

techfuzz

it sticks out like a sore thumb, especially since your only silver component is there

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Ok, I'm adding the stain to it tonight and tomorrow. When it's done being stained, I'll take some more pictures and post them.

techfuzz

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Ok, I'm adding the stain to it tonight and tomorrow. When it's done being stained, I'll take some more pictures and post them.

techfuzz

MDF will absorb varnish like a sponge. It will nearly match in color with just varnish. Any stain will apear 2-3 shades darker if applied to MDF. The edge will turn nearly black with nearly any color stain, and will be noticably darker with just varnish.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman

techfuzz

MDF will absorb varnish like a sponge. It will nearly match in color with just varnish. Any stain will apear 2-3 shades darker if applied to MDF. The edge will turn nearly black with nearly any color stain, and will be noticably darker with just varnish.
I chose the "Natural Wood" finish. I hope it doesn't get too dark. I'll let it dry overnight and check to see if it needs a second coat.

techfuzz