Add DVR capability to HTPC

sathyan

Sep 18, 2000
I would like to a DVR capability to my Windows 8 Pro (64 bit) based HTPC (2.7 GHz Sandybridge, 8GB RAM, SSD for OS, WD Green for media). I plan to use Windows Media Center in terms of the software. The motherboard has both PCI and PCIe x1 slots available. The cable signal comes from the wall (no cable box) straight into my TV now. So I guess that means no cable card needed.
What tuner/capture card do you recommend for let's say $100?

thanks

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
For off-air, get the HDhomerun. For cablecard, get whatever is the cheapest with the number of tuners (I still like the HDhomerun).

If you don't have a good antenna with good line of sight to the TV towers, just go cablecard.

pkscout

Aug 30, 2012
I would like to a DVR capability to my Windows 8 Pro (64 bit) based HTPC (2.7 GHz Sandybridge, 8GB RAM, SSD for OS, WD Green for media). I plan to use Windows Media Center in terms of the software. The motherboard has both PCI and PCIe x1 slots available. The cable signal comes from the wall (no cable box) straight into my TV now. So I guess that means no cable card needed.

I would not assume that you don't need a cablecard. In almost all markets, the only digital channels you will get without a cablebard are the broadcast networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, and PBS). If you're getting any more than that either you are very, very lucky or you are watching scaled up analog channels.

If you really don't need a cablecard, then you could get an AverMedia Duet PCIe card for probably $79. If you need a cablecard, the Ceton internal one is a few hundred bucks (4 tuners I think). The SiliconDust HDHR3 is an external box you connect via your wired network. Seems like it's under $200.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
You know if its a digital unencrypted QAM signal, or plain old analog cable? You getting HD without a box?

sathyan

Sep 18, 2000
I am getting HD channels with the cable coming straight from the wall into my TV.no cable box

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
If you have a cablecard, I would go wih HD Homerun Prime with 3 tuners.

I however would wait for the new HDHomeRun Prime which included H.264 transcoding so you can both save space on your recordings as well as directly stream to mobile devices.