Add another $115 billion to the cost of healthcare reform

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Unless we kill 100,000 innocent civilians in a middle eastern country for the low low cost of $1 trillion and rising, while cutting taxes for the rich, and killing our own soldiers, this $1 trillion will NOT be worth it!

Well, well, uh . . . Bill Clinton had sexual contact with a chubby intern, and then lied about it, so there!! :rolleyes:

Wow . . . it's like you're not even trying to think!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Unless we kill 100,000 innocent civilians in a middle eastern country for the low low cost of $1 trillion and rising, while cutting taxes for the rich, and killing our own soldiers, this $1 trillion will NOT be worth it!
We didn't kill 100,000 people. They killed each other and if we had left there would have been even more killed.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Better question is...

How many oil companies are based in America?

EDIT...

here's a hint. If you've started counting you've gone to far.

Yeah, the whole "America gets the oil" thing was never understood by most people on either side.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Yeah, the whole "America gets the oil" thing was never understood by most people on either side.

There is not a single oil or gas company with a base of operations that is in America. Not one. Everything is owned overseas and has a corporate front here in the states. All the money flows to other countries. This is why Exxon for example had $35 billion in profits for 2009 and didn't pay a single penny in taxes to America on April 15th. By using loopholes of being a companied owned in another country, they can avoid our taxes.

Also, the Middle East isn't a major supplier of our oil. The majority of our oil and gas comes from us (America), Canada, and Mexico. Quite a bit of what we drill out goes north to Canada to be refined and re-imported back in as well.

The money from the war wasn't for "oil" companies but to supply oil companies. Subsea, Halliburton, Schlumberge, Transocean, and other companies in America that build and supply stuff to the oil companies are the ones the war was fought for. Or did no one else think it very strange that Halliburton opened a really nice and brand spanking new home office in Dubai recently?

Oh well, digressing off topic. I think what many are trying to point out is our current priorities. Do we spend money on wars to help people that are American and corporations in both America and abroad; or do we spend it here? Or another question is why spend it at all?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

reflect, reflect, reflect...

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
The money from the war wasn't for "oil" companies but to supply oil companies. Subsea, Halliburton, Schlumberge, Transocean, and other companies in America that build and supply stuff to the oil companies are the ones the war was fought for. Or did no one else think it very strange that Halliburton opened a really nice and brand spanking new home office in Dubai recently?

our home office is in Houston, our ceo lives in Houston, he has the top floor. I have been there.
dubai is our middle east headquarters,
schlumberger is a french company started in france.
i believe that subsea 7 and transocean are both based in sweden and were started there.
baker hughes is also based in Houston.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Defense contractors need a job too.

My wife works for the Census, so since she gets no Benefits, including healthcare, the Govt should have to pay a fine for her?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
our home office is in Houston, our ceo lives in Houston, he has the top floor. I have been there.
i believe that subsea 7 and transocean are both based in sweden and were started there.

Uhh, coulda sworn the CEO of Halliburton was now operating out of the Dubai office not the Houston one anymore. But I was trying to point out that all the gas and oil companies are based and started overseas and we have companies here that provide services for them like Halliburton and Baker Hughes. There are also companies here that provide services for them but are American owned either. By services I mean support, manufacturing and the like.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
"You are ineligible for health benefits if your appointment is limited to one year or less or your work schedule is other than full or part-time."
http://www.census.gov/hrd/www/benefits/fehb.html
Isn't that all census workers?

I don't think the bill requires health benefits for temporary employees, so Piasabird's analogy fails.

Incidentally, no, that is not all "census workers," if by that, you mean, everyone employed by the Census Bureau. The Census Bureau presumably has a slate of permanent employees, and those people presumably do have health benefits.

- wolf

jacc1234

Sep 3, 2005

Did they move back to Huston recently or did they never leave? All I see are news articles about them planning to move...etc but none that say they actually did it.

Examples:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4779076.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/business/12haliburton.html

Last edited: