Adata SSD Toolbox software update causes TOTAL freeze up???

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
In the last 2 weeks, I have been using my desktop and it totally freezes. The first time, I didn't see it happen, but this last time I saw what happened. Using Firefox and VLC (playing videos from separate HDD), the screen froze first except the mouse, but audio still played. Then I tried clicking on start menu and then audio went out, I heard some strange buzzing when clicking mouse. Then screen went black, and I got a BSOD saying "Critical Process Error", and it rebooted. I reboots to BIOS and the SSD is missing, so I reboot again from BIOS and still no SSD. Unplug/replug and finally the SSD is found, but BIOS says "Overclocking failed" enter BIOS.

I don't OC, except a small increase on the GPU voltage, manually Offset setting it to 0.900V. Been like this for 4 years, because I was having video driver stability issues in W7 back in 2013. I have set it back to Auto for now, maybe there won't be anymore stability issues in W10.

I open SSDToolbox, and it says there is a new version, so I go to Adata to download it. Version 3.00 currently to 3.01.

So, anytime there is an update to SSDToolbox, my system will hard freeze needing to be unplugged for a silly software update? And I thought Win10 updates were bad.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, never tried their utility, but, if it is trying to update the firmware, and it hardlocks, that could fubar the SSD.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Does their toolbox have a RAM caching option like Samsung and Crucial's do? If so, turn that off.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Does their toolbox have a RAM caching option like Samsung and Crucial's do? If so, turn that off.

No. It has a Secure Erase and Optimization feature, which the user can avoid.

All the proprietary software like Crucial Executive, Magician, SSD Toolbox -- provide a means to track TBW. They may have a benchmarking component. They all have an optimization feature, or most of them do. I will leave them installed for benching and TBW tracking. But I'd rather do the optimization manually, or even let Windows 10 do its share.

Might be a deterrence for using too many SSDs of varied manufacture -- I couldn't say. For my 960 Pro I have Magician and that's it. If I buy the Crucial MX300 2TB, I might likely install Executive. The way the existing configuration is working, I can take a long time to pull that string -- and then, who knows what?

There is a "generic" tool, with a crippled trial version and a chump-change license. I just can't remember the name of it. . . .

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Umm, I'm not sure if you're trying to claim that Samsung and Crucial's toolboxes don't have a caching feature because if you are, you're wrong.

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
I don't set OS optimization with Toolbox, and just alter a couple of things in Windows, like no hibernate, no fast boot, and no windows backup. Adata Toolbox does have a service in Windows, but after booting, I see that it is on Manual and not running.

As for the graphics voltage issue, I do need to set it at a number 0.875V instead of Auto or else there is a graphics glitch. I have seen this mentioned online with other motherboard manufacturers and Intel chips.