Question Adapt 8-pin GFX to 6-pin PSU

HMonk

Mar 7, 2009
After nine years I decided to build a new gaming PC. If needed I will post all the components but the short of it is, my existing PSU is a 750W modular Zalman that I would like to keep since it is more than adequate for my new rig (which depending on whose calculator you use will consume about 600W on average.

My GFX card is the XFX RX 7500 which consumes about 180 peak gaming watts (depending on the game), again, depending on who you read. The card has a 6 and 8 pin connector. Problem is, the Zalman has two independent 6-pin connectors but no 8-pin connector. My thinking is, if I can use both 6-pin connectors, I will realize 225 watts (75+75+75). I have read many pros/cons regarding adapters so my question is, has anyone had success using an adapter to connect a 6-pin PSU cable to an 8-pin GFX card?

Thanks, Monk

loafbred

May 7, 2000
If your psu has a single 12v rail, there shouldn't be any concerns over using a 2x4-pin molex to six-pin PCIE adapter, and another adapter which adapts the 2x6-pin PCIE to 1x8-pin PCIE. If the psu has two or more rails, you'll have to take care to split the load properly. Regardless of the number of rails in the psu, try not to attach any other devices to the two 4-pin molex cables, or at least avoid sharing with those devices which use more than a few watts and/or might introduce signal noise to the gpu. I used to hear years ago that it's preferable to not share a device cable with fans, but I can't vouch for how reliable that information is.

HMonk

Mar 7, 2009
If your psu has a single 12v rail, there shouldn't be any concerns over using a 2x4-pin molex to six-pin PCIE adapter, and another adapter which adapts the 2x6-pin PCIE to 1x8-pin PCIE. If the psu has two or more rails, you'll have to take care to split the load properly. Regardless of the number of rails in the psu, try not to attach any other devices to the two 4-pin molex cables, or at least avoid sharing with those devices which use more than a few watts and/or might introduce signal noise to the gpu. I used to hear years ago that it's preferable to not share a device cable with fans, but I can't vouch for how reliable that information is.

Thanks, loafbred. You’ve answered my question.