Adam Lanza sounds like a lot of people I know on the internet.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lanza-article-1.1309766

'Adam was an easy target. He was quiet and he would never fight back,'

investigators found more than 1,600 rounds of ammunition, two rifles, a BB gun, a starter’s pistol, nine knives, a 7-foot spear, a bayonet and three samurai swords.

This is not unique. I see way too many armchair commandos who were shy quiet nerds growing up. Theres a few on every gun forum. Usually when people refuse to talk with them they get bored and leave. But they always feel the need to share their "impressive" firearms list in their first post. Or pics. And it almost always includes joke weapons like swords and spears and misc. crap.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
How did you acquire such detailed knowledge of the childhoods of so many people on gun forums?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I think that some people just never learn how to cope with life. Yeah, kids shouldn't be bullying other kids, but you're never going to completely stop that and adult life has some bullies as well. Life isn't all gumdrops, lollipops, and rainbows. Children need to be taught that:
1. Negative things that other people say don't matter.
2. Eventually most people grow up and life gets better for the picked on.
3. Telling the other kids to STFU is perfectly acceptable.
4. Holding in a bunch of anger over some stupid crap kids say just isn't worth it. You ultimately decide how you feel everyday - not the words or actions of other people.

Certainly, there are people who have an actual mental deficiency or biological disorder that need to be medicated/committed/in therapy. This isn't going to work for them. They need parents, family, and friends who actually care enough to understand when they need help and get it for them. This happened just a few weeks ago when some parents found their kid's hit list and contacted the police. If you see the signs that your child isn't right, it is your responsibility to do something about it.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
This is not unique. I see way too many armchair commandos who were shy quiet nerds growing up. Theres a few on every gun forum. Usually when people refuse to talk with them they get bored and leave. But they always feel the need to share their "impressive" firearms list in their first post. Or pics. And it almost always includes joke weapons like swords and spears and misc. crap.

No different from those members who put their computer specs in their sig's, here.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
No different from those members who put their computer specs in their sig's, here.

Just deleted mine today due to new sig rule. Thanks AT, you saved me from being a psychopathic killer. :eek:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

I know the "goobers" you are referring. But hey, I like swords, guns, and other objects such as that from a collection point of view. In the right setting I'll even share info about what I have. I don't try to randomly engage every person I see about my collection either. That's the goober part of the equation.

Wanting to collect something is a natural tendency of the human brain. Be it shoes for women, or guns of men, it's a natural feeling all people share. Or it could be shoes for some men and guns for some women. Doesn't matter.

Point is, collecting is a natural emotion that leads to enjoyment for most people. Even sharing out collections with others is also a natural thing as humans are social animals. The difference is knowing when and where is best to do show and tell. On the flip side, also know when NOT to do show and tell. Talking about your stamp collection at your local stamp, coin, and hobby store is greatly encouraged. Talking about your collection of shot glasses at an AA meeting might not go over so well.

Adam Lanza was a fruit case as we are all well aware of now. However, associating a behavioral tendency he shares with most normal people and trying to indirect insinuate that people that like to collect the same thing he did is just as insane as he was... that's a bit over the line in the logic department.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Just deleted mine today due to new sig rule. Thanks AT, you saved me from being a psychopathic killer. :eek:

LOL same here! well my sig I deleted awhile ago when the change was put in to place. Took out all the my system specs.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
*looks at the pro-gun sentiment*

Still mad about being shoved in the lockers in 5th grade?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

wohooo! anandtech saved us!

personally i think the new sig rule is silly. i actually like reading what specs people have and some of the silly shit they put in sigs.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
How can you people still believe he was involved with this when his death certificate shows he died the day before the alleged mass murder?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
How can you people still believe he was involved with this when his death certificate shows he died the day before the alleged mass murder?

You wan't an honest answer from me? I don't think the government is competent enough to pull it off. Thats my belief.

The other belief is that there is no way that they take over an entire school for a day and no one really saw anything suspicious. Its alot more likely that it happened for real instead of it being faked. Alot of the "sandy hook was faked" videos is a guy surfing the web and going over videos from the news. You could literally make it by sitting on your ass at the computer. I'm more interested in someone who was actually there and their account. I haven't seen any.

Anyway as for the OP, I too dislike armchair commando's. I wish I could see a picture of some of these people when talking about topics like this. I have one 9mm gun. The people who get far to into stopping power this, caliber that, and have like 15 guns, etc. seem more like armchair commandos than anything.

I might get a shotgun for clay shooting and a rifle for hunting when I have more time because shooting is fun. I don't see alot of point in having tactical type stuff since I think its ultimately worthless but people are free to do whatever they want to do.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

You should know enough when to identify sensationalist journalism went it appears.

investigators found more than 1,600 rounds of ammunition, two rifles, a BB gun, a starter’s pistol, nine knives, a 7-foot spear, a bayonet and three samurai swords.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

There are bad apples in every barrel. Sure those guys are insecure as all hell and obviously have something to prove, but I've never seen any I'd categorize as psychopathic murderers planning to shoot up a mall.

Some guys like AR-15s, some guys like swords. I wouldn't mind owning a quality katana or two. If I got really rich I'd get one of those super-custom $35,000 Japanese-made katanas. There are guys who still make them with traditional methods, very pricey though.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Gotta remember he was the son of some GE board member who pulled in like $1mil/yr

What you'd call an obsession (15 guns and various swords) he calls a 1 hour shopping trip for his weekly allowance.

Thats another perspective

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Are you implying that any quiet shy nerd who likes guns is potentially at risk of going on a killing spree? Because to me that requires quite a stretchy extrapolation and some logical gymnastics to reach that conclusion.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Gotta remember he was the son of some GE board member who pulled in like $1mil/yr

What you'd call an obsession (15 guns and various swords) he calls a 1 hour shopping trip for his weekly allowance.

Thats another perspective

Yes, his father was about to testify about the LIBOR scandal, just like Holmes' (the alleged Aurora lone gunman) father was also about to testify about the LIBOR scandal right before his alleged rampage.

Coincidence? Yeah, right.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

I thought they'd changed the sig rule back to what it was before it's introduction. Am I wrong?

...........bad question, I meant about the sig rule.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Yes, his father was about to testify about the LIBOR scandal, just like Holmes' (the alleged Aurora lone gunman) father was also about to testify about the LIBOR scandal right before his alleged rampage.

Coincidence? Yeah, right.

Ohhhhh.

You're one of those.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I don't see where he was posting pictures of himself posing with his guns or imitation katanas. The only message board posts I remember reading about involved NASA and aliens or something (or was that the Batman guy?).

4. Holding in a bunch of anger over some stupid crap kids say just isn't worth it. You ultimately decide how you feel everyday - not the words or actions of other people.

Yes. PTSD and other examples of mental trauma do not exist. Rape victims are angrily relive the attack repeatedly because they choose to think about it. Everyone knows this.

Last edited:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Ohhhhh.

You're one of those.

Yeah, just dismiss it and call me crazy; or go do some research. Yeah, research is boring. I know....

Remain obedient to your TV. It's all working as planned.

Oct 30, 2004
If he shot innocent little children as an act of revenge, then he truly was a retard unless those children were the sons and daughters of his former tormenters. If you want to get revenge, go shoot the individual people that bullied you or find a way to disappear them Dexter style.

Oct 30, 2004
I suspect that the ultimate cause of the shooting rampage--what really caused him to snap--is the same as those for a great many of the other young males who go on shooting rampages (Columbine, the Aurora movie theater, etc.). As these guys begin to have to face adulthood, they can't cope with the pressure to be self-sufficient and to perform, and it just causes them to snap. At root, I suspect that the real cause is the pressures of the male sex role.