Ad won't let me see the thread at all

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
It's pretty insane that a tech website can't get their mobile site working correctly.

The ad in question is the HP Spectre one

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It's pretty insane that a tech website can't get their mobile site working correctly.

The ad in question is the HP Spectre one

Yeap. That's the ad. Seems like it would be an easy call/email/ticket to whomever their ad distributor is to block that ad.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I’m in the same boat, finally had to install an ad blocker just so that I can see the site. For several days the site was basically unusable on my iPhone and iPad.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Since I changed from ios Chrome to Firefox, not a single instance of the full-screen ad bs.

Nov 29, 2006
Get rid of your shitty ads. Can’t be hard to figure out which one it is, iPad and android phone both get same issue again.

The use of profanity is NOT allowed in
forum issues and feedback.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Still the same damned problem. I don't sit at a computer on the weekends at all. I use mobile devices. And because of that, I can't use this website I've been coming to for nearly 2 decades. Really a shame.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Gears 5 is occupying around 70% of the screen width on Vivaldi on desktop. Which, after considering the forum sidebar etc, compresses the actual thread text into about 10% of the screen width!

HD or UHD, doesn't matter which.

Feb 4, 2009
Why is making this ad perform regularly such a problem for AT?
Screen blocking ads have been a problem periodically for years.
Why is AT the only site I visit where I consistently get this:
3tTM4lz.png

Or this:

4jyBcBJ.png

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Best buy ad blocking content. Wow, can't believe how old this thread is. I guess I'll have to address the issue myself.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Forum is 100% unusable on mobile. Congratulations.

Uhh... that is not true at all. Not all pages of this forum have ads, for example your user profile page, or create a thread page does not have an ad.

Also, if you use FireFox Nightly on mobile, and select request desktop site, the issue does not exist, and thus the forum is usable on mobile. Just one has to select request desktop site/page.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Another one that won't scroll away

View attachment 9008
This one popped up. Medieval Times
View attachment 9010
Why is making this ad perform regularly such a problem for AT?
Screen blocking ads have been a problem periodically for years.
Why is AT the only site I visit where I consistently get this:
3tTM4lz.png

Or this:

4jyBcBJ.png
Just looks at these posts for just one second.

Did you try loading the page in landscape view? Many times loading a webpage when in landscape view can sometimes prevent this type of issue from occurring.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Uhh... that is not true at all. Not all pages of this forum have ads, for example your user profile page, or create a thread page does not have an ad.

Also, if you use FireFox Nightly on mobile, and select request desktop site, the issue does not exist, and thus the forum is usable on mobile. Just one has to select request desktop site/page.
Haha yeah let me install an additional app or two and fight with the settings so I can maybe see some of the content I want to see on a TECH forum. No thanks. I'll stick to the desktop. If I were a mobile-only user I would have abandoned this site months ago.

Reactions: Indus
Feb 4, 2009
Just looks at these posts for just one second.

Did you try loading the page in landscape view? Many times loading a webpage when in landscape view can sometimes prevent this type of issue from occurring.

Tried twice and both times this

UxeodMy.png

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Oh that stuff. I don't think AnandTech nor Purch can do anything about that issue. It's an issue with AdChoices or/and Google Ads. The ad probably does not have a scalping aspect attribute, thus what ever HTML/CSS/JS code was hard coded, that is what it would display. Probably was hard coded for computers using a pt or another non-pixel based web rendering mapping, thus it does not go away. Where as in request PC site, the browser knows about this issue and thus would convert the lengths to an aspect of a mobile.

By the way... did you see the part where it says "scroll", that just tells you the ad was designed for non mobile devices. If there is an white box with an x or a blue color x anywhere, tap that. 4 options would appear and select "ad was covering content". The ad would close then after it shows a Google logo, and it saying "sorry, we will try to not show you this ad again."

But honestly, I do not think that this is a issue at the AnandTech or Purch end.

Feb 4, 2009
Oh that stuff. I don't think AnandTech nor Purch can do anything about that issue. It's an issue with AdChoices or/and Google Ads. The ad probably does not have a scalping aspect attribute, thus what ever HTML/CSS/JS code was hard coded, that is what it would display. Probably was hard coded for computers using a pt or another non-pixel based web rendering mapping, thus it does not go away. Where as in request PC site, the browser knows about this issue and thus would convert the lengths to an aspect of a mobile.

By the way... did you see the part where it says "scroll", that just tells you the ad was designed for non mobile devices. If there is an white box with an x or a blue color x anywhere, tap that. 4 options would appear and select "ad was covering content". The ad would close then after it shows a Google logo, and it saying "sorry, we will try to not show you this ad again."

But honestly, I do not think that this is a issue at the AnandTech or Purch end.

Then why does it ONLY appear on anandtech forums?
I’ll try the click on the ad setting thing

Stryke1983

Jan 1, 2016
Yeah I get the black box instead of white now. Ironically it's actually been an 'ad' for an anandtech article that might be causing the issue at least some of the time. The mobile forum website has been completely unusable for several days now.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Found an actually in website fix for the issue, (although I am not sure if the fix is available on the mobile page, as im currently using request desktop site.) The same issue can even be seen when viewing the desktop site on mobile, however the issue can be hidden if the following steps are followed.

Please note that the page was loaded in landscape view and all the steps were done in landscape view. Basically to hide the add, you must tap on the 3 vertically dotted lines above the first ad. The following images are in the order of the steps, from first being on top to last being on bottom. In the third image you will see that the three dots are highlighted, this happened after I tapped it.

Screenshot_2019-08-23-18-59-16.pngScreenshot_2019-08-23-18-59-26.pngScreenshot_2019-08-23-18-59-45.pngScreenshot_2019-08-23-18-59-54.pngScreenshot_2019-08-23-19-00-09.pngScreenshot_2019-08-23-19-00-15.png