Acura TSX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gooch

Oct 11, 1999
My friend is looking for an 'entry-luxury' vehicle for himself, and the Acura TSX was on his list. Direct competitors: Audi A4 1.8T, Mercedes C230, Lexus IS300, BMW 325i. I don't know if it was the salesperson we rode with, or just Acura in general, but the car came off as being bland. Much more impressed by the Audi and the Mercedes (yet to test drive the Lexus and the BMW). Reliable? yes. High resale? yes. All what you would expect from a Honda based car (TSX is based off of the European Honda Accord platform). Exhilarating? no.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
I have had my V-6 EX Accord for about two months now and absolutely love it. The car is very responsive, when TCS (traction control) is switched off. Handling is not bad for a 3K + pounds car, the suspension is well balanced between comfort ride and performance. I think Honda had it in mind to compete with the entry luxury markets when they launched the new gen Accord EX. I couldn't think of any other luxury ammenities that should be included with the car for the price....

But why TSX, why not TL?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
I have had my V-6 EX Accord for about two months now and absolutely love it. The car is very responsive, when TCS (traction control) is switched off. Handling is not bad for a 3K + pounds car, the suspension is well balanced between comfort ride and performance. I think Honda had it in mind to compete with the entry luxury markets when they launched the new gen Accord EX. I couldn't think of any other luxury ammenities that should be included with the car for the price....

But why TSX, why not TL?

cr4zy - you purchased the sedan am I correct? I was looking through the brochure my parents brought home - the V6 sedan only has a 13mm rear stabilizer bar, as opposed to the 14mm on my I4. I finally realized why most magazines criticized the slushy handling of the V6.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: gooch
My friend is looking for an 'entry-luxury' vehicle for himself, and the Acura TSX was on his list. Direct competitors: Audi A4 1.8T, Mercedes C230, Lexus IS300, BMW 325i. I don't know if it was the salesperson we rode with, or just Acura in general, but the car came off as being bland. Much more impressed by the Audi and the Mercedes (yet to test drive the Lexus and the BMW). Reliable? yes. High resale? yes. All what you would expect from a Honda based car (TSX is based off of the European Honda Accord platform). Exhilarating? no.

Well, it's an Accord.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo I have had my V-6 EX Accord for about two months now and absolutely love it. The car is very responsive, when TCS (traction control) is switched off. Handling is not bad for a 3K + pounds car, the suspension is well balanced between comfort ride and performance. I think Honda had it in mind to compete with the entry luxury markets when they launched the new gen Accord EX. I couldn't think of any other luxury ammenities that should be included with the car for the price.... But why TSX, why not TL?
cr4zy - you purchased the sedan am I correct? I was looking through the brochure my parents brought home - the V6 sedan only has a 13mm rear stabilizer bar, as opposed to the 14mm on my I4. I finally realized why most magazines criticized the slushy handling of the V6.
I'm planning on change that out also... overall, handling is surprisingly not bad, compare to older Accords. I have a '99 V-6 coupe, that I drive daily, which have a whole suspension upgrade (performance springs, shocks, strut brace) and when comparing the handling of the new car to the '99, the new one took the curves almost just as well (thank in part to the more responsive and lighter steering). So far, I have no complain about the car, and I think within our family, we've owned just about every generation of Accords.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo I have had my V-6 EX Accord for about two months now and absolutely love it. The car is very responsive, when TCS (traction control) is switched off. Handling is not bad for a 3K + pounds car, the suspension is well balanced between comfort ride and performance. I think Honda had it in mind to compete with the entry luxury markets when they launched the new gen Accord EX. I couldn't think of any other luxury ammenities that should be included with the car for the price.... But why TSX, why not TL?
I'm planning on change that out also... overall, handling is surprisingly not bad, compare to older Accords. I have a '99 V-6 coupe, that I drive daily, which have a whole suspension upgrade (performance springs, shocks, strut brace) and when comparing the handling of the new car to the '99, the new one took the curves almost just as well (thank in part to the more responsive and lighter steering). So far, I have no complain about the car, and I think within our family, we've owned just about every generation of Accords.

Ahh ok. Yea it's not too bad but I think it could be a lot better, but that's just my two cents. The TL sway bars are on nationwide back order, so the only option at the current moment is the Comptech 22mm. (Either the bar itself or the rubber bushings are on backorder)

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
Thanks... can anyone recommend any cars in the pricerange that would be clear cut preferable over the TSX?

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
I'm looking for that nice luxury/sporty mix. Considering TSX, TL, and G35... anything else to consider?

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I would say from my readings that it is a good car, however for the money you could be do better.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Babbles
I would say from my readings that it is a good car, however for the money you could be do better.

In engine only. Besides that though, it comes with options that many other cars in it's price range don't even offer. And it has a better warranty than just about any other of them.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: maddogchen
Is this TSX built in Japan?

Most likely.

Thats good then, I think paying 30,000 for a Japanese built car is better for your money than paying 35,000 for a Mexico built Mercedes

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
How bout the Nissan Z or the Mazda RX then? Sporty, but not necessarily luxury. but you can get it for under 28k

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Originally posted by: johnnytightlips
What can you guys tell me about this car? I like the luxury/sporty/value combo of Acuras...

Yet another fool that fell for the marketing ploy when 'Acura' was created for the US market.
The Acura TSX is the European Honda Accord.

Still a nice car though.
It was funny on my trip to London to see tons of "TSX"s running around with Accord badges on them.
I thought it would be a little faster because it's smaller (and presumably lighter) than the US Accord, but I guess it's still underpowered.

TSX = Euro Accord...

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I like the TSX a lot... I like the TL even more though :D

these new cars from Acura look awesome!

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
As an owner of a TSX, I'd say it's an above average car. Depending on what you're looking for, it may or may not fit your needs. When I purchased, I was looking for an entry luxury vehicle with FWD and got good gas mileage. RWD would have been okay, but I literally live on the side of a mountain and the road up to it is about a 5% to 6% grade and FWD does still give better traction than RWD. My price range was about $25k to $32k, with my preference leaning towards the bottom end of that scale. Sportiness was a consideration although not my determining factor. Practicality was also high on my list, meaning 4 doors is a must. Reliability is a MUST for me. I can't stand buying a car only to have it go in to the shop 3 or 4 times a year for a major issue (ahem...my Ford Explorer). I test drove the following cars: IS 300, BMW 330, G35, previous generation (not 04) TL, the TSX, and even a VW Passat.

As far as bang for the buck goes, Acura's always win. Both the TL and the TSX are loaded for the price. IMO, the IS300 was a little too expensive for what you got, and I can't stand the ricer looks of it. Reliability was a huge plus for the Lexus.

BMW handles like a dream, but my friend has a 328 (before they upgraded the engine to a 3.0L) and he's had nothing but problems with it. In addition, CR has rated the reliablity low and has moved the BMW from their recommended list because of the reliability issues. Also, the price is a little high.

G35, nice car. 4 door is too expensive for me though. Interior didn't feel as nice, believe it or not, even though the TSX uses leather on the centers of the seat.

TL just looked old. The Type-S was fun to test drive, but I knew they'd be coming out with a new body style when I drove it and wanted something that looked fresher.

Passat. Reliability is okay. Interior felt crappy. In addition, the dealer was a jerk, so that was an easy elimination.

I've put about 10k miles on mine (purchased last Sept.) and here are my pros/cons for the car.

Pro's:
Loaded for the price
Handles very well - the only car I felt that handled better than it that I test drove was the BMW.
Very fuel efficient, especially when premium (which it requires) is about $2/gallon - I'm averaging about 29mpg but I'm not a huge leadfoot
Still pretty unique on the road - not too many that you see everyday. I think I've seen about 4 or 5 since I bought mine. Not a huge pro, but one nonetheless.
Sporty enough for me. High revving if you really want it to go though.
After 10k miles, everything still seems mechanically sound, although 10k is still early in a car's life so I'll wait and see. Although, honestly, if I have a major problem (transmission, engine, electrical, etc) before 100k miles I'd consider it a dissapointment towards Honda's reputation of quality.

Cons:
Systemic creak in the windshield that it seems almost every TSX has and the dealers can't seem to fix
Systemic creak in the driver side door panel that almost every TSX has and the dealers can't seem to fix
For a luxury brand, Acura is nothing more than a hopped up Honda. The buying experience may vary, but mine was no more spectacular than going to Ford or Honda. My sister, buying a Lexus was treated like a queen.

Overall, I'm pretty happy, although those creaks are driving me (and it seems like a lot of other TSX owners) crazy. Hopefully Acura will put out a TSB for it, as I've already taken it in to 2 different Acura dealers 3 times to try and get the pops and creaking fixed.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: johnnytightlips
Originally posted by: maddogchen
whats your price range? under?

Under $27-$28k I'd say. How much does a TL go for?
Take a look at the Lancer EVO RS - with the luxury option (only way to get A/C). It'll be smaller, less comfortable and less luxurious that the TSX, but it is the ultimate sleeper - other than the visible intercooler, this model has little to make it look like the 274HP light weight monster it is...

Doesn't look like a sports car, does it?