Acura TSX or A3?

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
So I've almost always stuck with you're average Honda/Toyota/Subaru brands and have gotten used to the low maintenance and reliability. Fast forward to today where I want something better and nicer now that I'm getting closer to my 40s.

I've gotten down to 2 cars and would like any feedback on peeps who have gone from a Japanese brand to German. From what I've read I should expect a much more fun ride and more lux, but more frequent maintenance, more expensive repairs, and maybe electrical problems.

I'm planning on getting either car CPO so at least the Audi would be covered for 6 years with the 2015.

Anyone made the jump and didn't look back or did you miss the predictability of a Honda/Acura make?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I went from Lexus to BMW if that counts. Lexus was definitely cheaper to work on. But the BMW is far more fun. You'd be hard pressed to get me to go the Audi route.

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
I went from Lexus to BMW if that counts. Lexus was definitely cheaper to work on. But the BMW is far more fun. You'd be hard pressed to get me to go the Audi route.

Oh yeah, definitely counts. So you wouldn't go the Audi route because you like BMW better or is there something specific?

The main thing I remember of BMWs are that they are nice inside, good driving dynamics, but a few executives at companies I worked at had them and they all seemed to be driving loaners because their 3/5 series was in the shop for whatever reason.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Oh yeah, definitely counts. So you wouldn't go the Audi route because you like BMW better or is there something specific?

The main thing I remember of BMWs are that they are nice inside, good driving dynamics, but a few executives at companies I worked at had them and they all seemed to be driving loaners because their 3/5 series was in the shop for whatever reason.

A colleague of mine drives a 2011 BMW X6, to date it has had over $40k in warranty repair work. No thanks.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
How are infiniti g37's? I see some going in the 20's. Nice looking interior, 330hp, rwd. But nissan

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013

Take the BMW maintenance and add even more onto it, then you have an Audi. I drove several A4's and A6's before I ended up with my last IS. In addition to the maintenance, they really didn't do anything for me. Especially the A6. The only complaint I had with my IS is it wasn't fast enough and an IS-F wasn't in my budget.

One thing to keep in mind is that most people buying new cars of this class take them in to the shop even when nothing is wrong. I worked with a guy with a new IS350. It was in the shop at least once a month. I don't recall anything ever being broken on it. "I thought I might have heard a funny noise once", "my tires needed air" and stupid crap like that. I think it's just because they like driving loaner cars.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
My C350 is way nicer than my TL was. However Audi reliability would make me nervous.

Oct 9, 1999
I have a 2009 TSX (sedan AT/Tech) and its been pretty trouble free barring early issues. So CPO should have no issues.. I have 141K right now. No issues, no oil burning issues so far either. Solid buy :)

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Just so you know, both the TL and TSX have been discontinued and the new TLX has taken its place. It's a fantastic vehicle. I've owned mine for about 4 months now. You can order it plain Jane, tech, or advanced. I got the Advanced w/Aero package.

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks. So there doesn't seem to be any unicorn stories of an A3 or A4 going through 150k miles with only standard maintenance and nothing ever breaking? I'm sure this has happened in the Acura/Lexus line so yeah thus my concern about going away from a Japanese brand.

I used to have an Infiniti G35...good car, horrible mileage even when driving pure highway. New Q series must be better but still...

Yes I know about the TLX...a bit too new and prices are very high with barely any lightly used ones on the market.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Used IS250/350? Our IS250 was rock solid until it was rear-ended and totaled.

We lease German and buy Japanese. Probably end up buying a CPO IS250/350 after our BMW lease is up.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Thanks. So there doesn't seem to be any unicorn stories of an A3 or A4 going through 150k miles with only standard maintenance and nothing ever breaking? I'm sure this has happened in the Acura/Lexus line so yeah thus my concern about going away from a Japanese brand.

I used to have an Infiniti G35...good car, horrible mileage even when driving pure highway. New Q series must be better but still...

Yes I know about the TLX...a bit too new and prices are very high with barely any lightly used ones on the market.

My dad's a Lexus guy too. I've lost track of how many ES's he's had. All of his were fine well past 100k. I sold my first IS at 98k, no issues. My BMW is at 78k right now. Maintenance is definitely pricier but no actual issues on it yet. If you're concerned about maintenance, stick with the Japanese. I haven't spent much time in Acuras, last one was a TL type S. Seemed nice enough, but it's only fair to point out they consistently lose to Lexus in comparos.

Last edited:

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Just so you know, both the TL and TSX have been discontinued and the new TLX has taken its place. It's a fantastic vehicle. I've owned mine for about 4 months now. You can order it plain Jane, tech, or advanced. I got the Advanced w/Aero package.

I test drove a TLX a couple months back. It's a nice car, but I could never get over the feeling that it's barely different from an Accord. I guess I should actually drive an Accord and see if it is similar :) (I realize this is par for the course, i.e. Ford Fusion -> Lincoln MKZ, Toyota Avalon -> Lexus ES350, VW GTI -> Audi A3, etc...)

It is annoying that features like ACC are standard on a $25-26K Accord while you don't get these until you upgrade to the $42K+ V6 and Advance package on the TLX.

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
I test drove a TLX a couple months back. It's a nice car, but I could never get over the feeling that it's barely different from an Accord. I guess I should actually drive an Accord and see if it is similar :) (I realize this is par for the course, i.e. Ford Fusion -> Lincoln MKZ, Toyota Avalon -> Lexus ES350, VW GTI -> Audi A3, etc...)

It is annoying that features like ACC are standard on a $25-26K Accord while you don't get these until you upgrade to the $42K+ V6 and Advance package on the TLX.

Yeah I was looking at the TLX as well, and there seems to be a transmission problem. I think they have a service bulletin for it, but it's of concern.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Traded my '08 A4 @87k in for an S3. No major issues with my A4 outside of the plastic clips that hold the window regulators in. :)/)

If I had bought the Avant the first time around as a manual, I don't know if I would have traded it in.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I haven't spent much time in Acuras, last one was a TL type S. Seemed nice enough, but it's only fair to point out they consistently lose to Lexus in comparos.

Yah, but to be fair, Acuras tend to be a lot better values. Acura uses a lot more recycled platforms than lexus does. Its not incorrect to call them a high end honda at all. Lexus otoh seems to be a bit more distinct. It shows in what they can do with the cars and price.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009

New 2015 TLXs have some pretty big discounts right now, and there are plenty very lightly used ones on the market with serious discounts as well (minus the SH-AWD versions). I would read up on the issues owners are having with the transmissions (yes, both the 8S DCT and 9S ZF transmissions) and I think you'll find out why so many lightly used ones are available. From what I can tell outright failures do not seem to be a problem but very hard/jerky shifting seems common.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I read online that the A3 burns lots of oil (2015) and that turned my father-in-law off from looking at it.

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
I just found another car during my research to add to the list...how about the 2015 Volvo S60? Looks like it has a new engine that has pretty good mileage and one model has both a turbo and supercharger.

Knavish

May 17, 2002
I just found another car during my research to add to the list...how about the 2015 Volvo S60? Looks like it has a new engine that has pretty good mileage and one model has both a turbo and supercharger.

S60's are pretty nice. I had one a as a loaner car while my other car was being serviced. Two caveats:
  • I see lots of used 2015s available now that were "premium class" rental cars for a year.
  • their engine/transmission is new but the S60 platform is 5-6 years old. The Chinese company that bought Volvo is pushing to update all their cars, but Volvo has gone through a bit of an update-drought recently.

Also, when I look at Volvo S60 prices on their website, they seem very overpriced to me. Perhaps they're offering some amazing deals at the dealer?? A couple years ago I got an XC60 for $6-7K off (450 miles on the odo, sold as new) in November.

Last edited:

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
S60's are pretty nice. I had one a as a loaner car while my other car was being serviced. Two caveats:
  • I see lots of used 2015s available now that were "premium class" rental cars for a year.
  • their engine/transmission is new but the S60 platform is 5-6 years old. The Chinese company that bought Volvo is pushing to update all their cars, but Volvo has gone through a bit of an update-drought recently.

Also, when I look at Volvo S60 prices on their website, they seem very overpriced to me. Perhaps they're offering some amazing deals at the dealer?? A couple years ago I got an XC60 for $6-7K off (450 miles on the odo, sold as new) in November.

Yeah the one I'm looking at is listed through carmax at $26k for a 10k. I may test drive it today...just not sure if I'll be paying 5k more than I wanted to vs a comparable tsx. I recall that super old volvo's were pretty bulletproof but then in the 2000s they became more problematic. Probably more reliable than their German counterpart though.

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
Well I test drove the A3, TSX, ILX, and S60 today.

TSX was good, but the one the dealership had was a little bit too scuffed up. Driving dynamics were good though.

The ILX was pretty much the same as the TSX in terms of feel but it was lacking in power relatively speaking.

A3 was solid, with a good interior but yeah I had my concerns.

S60 came home with me :) Price was only a few thousand more than the TSX and it felt so much better inside. I know people rarely get Volvos anymore so I hope the decision was a good one. Regular warranty is for 4 years so we'll see!

Thx for all the feedback

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Well I test drove the A3, TSX, ILX, and S60 today.

TSX was good, but the one the dealership had was a little bit too scuffed up. Driving dynamics were good though.

The ILX was pretty much the same as the TSX in terms of feel but it was lacking in power relatively speaking.

A3 was solid, with a good interior but yeah I had my concerns.

S60 came home with me :) Price was only a few thousand more than the TSX and it felt so much better inside. I know people rarely get Volvos anymore so I hope the decision was a good one. Regular warranty is for 4 years so we'll see!

Thx for all the feedback

Good choice! What engine did you end up with? Have fun with the new car.