Active Virus Shield (Kaspersky) no long avail for free!!! :(

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Went to go download Kaspersky from AOL to put on a clients home PC and the site for Active Virus Shield now says.
We're Sorry!
AOL® Active Virus Shield is no longer available.
Looking for protection from viruses, spyware and hackers?
We are now offering McAfee® Virus Scan Plus-Special edition from AOL.
Please visit AOL® Internet Security Central to find the most comprehensive FREE set of safety tools available to help keep you, your family, and your PC safer from online threats.
http://www.activevirusshield.c...irus/freeav/index.adp?

So, the only good thing from AOL is now a dead deal. :(

Software -> Security

-Schadenfroh

Medea

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
If you already have it installed, you'll be able to continue to update and scan with it. See the sentence at the bottom of the page: "Aleady have Active Virus Shield? Click Here."

Thanks to Chadder007 for the heads up, and thanks to John for the link for others to still be able to d/l and install it. :thumbsup:

dono8000

Aug 6, 2007
has anybody tried using the new AOL/Mcafee offering? I'm a bit scared because Mcafee doesn't seem to have good reviews ....

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dono8000
has anybody tried using the new AOL/Mcafee offering? I'm a bit scared because Mcafee doesn't seem to have good reviews ....

I hate the new Mcafee. It feels so limited, the menus were so buried.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Originally posted by: dono8000

I hate the new Mcafee. It feels so limited, the menus were so buried.

McAfee's detection of certain types of malware is hilariously bad, too. And sending them samples only gets me ignored. It's like a farce of some sort :confused: "LOL, yes, we have the WebImmune.net upload site, so you can waste your time uploading malware for us to not analyze!!! :D"

If you need a free AV for non-commercial home use, my vote would go to AntiVir at this point.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Active Virus Shield is now crashing with the following information:

Faulting application avp.exe, version 6.0.2.621, time stamp 0x45f1906d, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdf8, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002c208, process id 0x1514, application start time 0x01c7dc7cfec69398.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Same here with AVS crashing, i thought I got infected with something. i guess it's not just me..

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Either that or there was a bad update by Kaspersky which has happened before. I just uninstalled and reinstalled it then allowed it to update and it now seems to be working.

dds14u

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Ryland
Either that or there was a bad update by Kaspersky which has happened before. I just uninstalled and reinstalled it then allowed it to update and it now seems to be working.

Did the same, thanks.

Wasn't sure how much longer they'd be supporting this.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I think Ryland is correct (there was a faulty update), because my paid KAV7 freaked out yesterday and I see some other people at the Kaspersky Forums reporting the same thing.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: mechBgon
I think Ryland is correct (there was a faulty update), because my paid KAV7 freaked out yesterday and I see some other people at the Kaspersky Forums reporting the same thing.

Kasperksy is sometimes flaky with their updates. One of them once flagged, Word, Excel and a few other MS programs as virus' for everyone.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
My AVS is working just fine. It's still showing up as Kaspersky AV in MSCONFIG startup. I picked it up from John's FTP and used the Google Cache link to get 4-5 keys. Works great for me...

pookguy88

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
Vista keeps telling me my AVS is out of date but I do an update and it says no update needed... wtf..?

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Just wait for a while and it will download the updates. I don't know why AOL's copy doesn't do it automatically.