Activating XMP profiles

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
So my new rig, so far running at stock speeds except bit of GPU ocing, seems to be fine and stable. Well, i did not run any stability tests for x hours, but using the computer as usual, some web browsing, installing apps, playing bit of new the Call of Duty, trying Cinebench... i had no issues at all.

So i would like to try running my RAMs at XMP speeds - its Corsair Vengeance LMP 3000 MHz. Before i do, i have few questions:

- is the XMP profile guaranteed to be stable, or not at all?
- do i need to set up anything beyond activating XMP? I am talking voltages, timings, whatnot...
- if activating the profile changes the BCLK from 100 to 125, does it automatically OCs the CPU? Or will it lower the CPU multiplier accordingly to keep it at stock clocks?
- if it does increases the BCLK and messes with CPU multipliers, can i manually set them back to 100/36x, while keeping memory OC?
- do faster RAM speeds affect performance in Cinebench? Should i rather try OCing CPU and keep RAM at stock speeds to actually see system being snappier?

Thx

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
- do i need to set up anything beyond activating XMP? I am talking voltages, timings, whatnot...
- if activating the profile changes the BCLK from 100 to 125, does it automatically OCs the CPU? Or will it lower the CPU multiplier accordingly to keep it at stock clocks?
- if it does increases the BCLK and messes with CPU multipliers, can i manually set them back to 100/36x, while keeping memory OC?
- do faster RAM speeds affect performance in Cinebench? Should i rather try OCing CPU and keep RAM at stock speeds to actually see system being snappier?

Nope, I had good experience with XMP on my most recent build though, asrock board w/supported ram (g.skill tridentz 3200)
No idea, just did RAM. There's XMP profiles for CPU?
Ram speeds are always more of a benchmark thing than a real-life-performance-thing. Having said that, Skylake is a little more sensitive to ram speeds than other arch's it seems, so you can net actual FPS by going from 2133 to 3200, to 4500 or whatever. It's all fairly minimal compared to OCing your processor, GPU, or buying better components though.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007

with my 3770K new install
I downclocked my new 2400 ram to 1866 to only test the cpu's overclocking limits ,but I was losing workers in the blend stress[ram and cpu] test even at stock cpu clocks
drove me nuts until I used the XMP
stress testing worked after that without any crashes
so try it

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
OK, so i activated the XMP, in the most simplest way, just went to BIOS and changed XMP from disabled to Profile 1.

Now the CPU-Z says RAM Clocks as 1500 MHz, so i guess its working - did not check what number was it before. The thing is however, it seems its affecting not only RAM, but CPU clocks as well - as of now, it clocks straight to 4GHz instead of 3,7GHz under load (multicore load in Cinebench). Is this normal?

The CPU runs slightly hotter than before (~22Cidle/43load before, now 26idle/50load) and while i dont know what core voltage did it read in CPU-Z under load before, now it says 1,272... that seems possibly quite a lot for 4GHz OC? Am i OK running this way or should i try to optimize it somehow further? Perhaps i could run higher clocks at that volts, or dont need such volts for 4GHz?

EDIT: Holy hell, cant access BIOS again to check on the other settings, cause the computer boots so fast and happily ignores me pressing DEL key while doing so. Any solution to that, LOL?

Last edited: