activated windows 10 new board

Brado78

Jan 26, 2015
Hey Eveyone, :) with Windows 10 activation being more secure. I was wondering has anyone had an activated windows 10 and moved the hard drive to a different comp with a new board, without activating issues?

Thanks

Brad :D

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Depends on the version of Windows 10 you purchased -OR- the version you used to do the original upgrade to 10.

If you either purchased a retail license or upgraded from a retail license of 7/8.1 it should be no problem. OEM you may not be able to do it.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I switched boards after updating to Win 10 from Windows 7 Retail. Would not activate. Had to re-install. So obviously it varies.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
It might work. It might not. There are variables. Proceed at your own risk. :)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So does everyone that upgrades their components buy a new windows version each time?

I'm thinking of changing my board, CPU, and gpu and adding more ram. I used to have windows 7 and a while back Microsoft was selling windows 8 for $40 so I bought a key from MS.

I then went from Windows 8 to 10 via the upgrade. I can't remember if the windows 8 key I purchased was an upgrade key or not.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
You will need to re-activate sometimes. Get ready for it. Depending on how often you change parts. It doesn't have to be only your board that gets replaced. This can be sorted over the phone, though.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You will need to re-activate sometimes. Get ready for it. Depending on how often you change parts. It doesn't have to be only your board that gets replaced. This can be sorted over the phone, though.
I guess it's just a matter if they accept your old key or not.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
There have been rumors about how this policy could vary from established expectations.

I've never had problems re-activating an OEM Win 7 installation at least once. If I did it twice, I might expect to escalate to the telephone number and digital voice recitation of long numerical strings.

I bought a motherboard two years ago, with an IB-K 3570 and 16GB Corsair XMS thrown in. Ironically, it was still a bargain for the motherboard, the lack of prior abuse or overclocking pretty much just short of certainty. But in swapping processors, my hand slipped, the corner of the processor jammed down on the pin-springs in the socket, and I mangled several, at one point breaking a pin while attempting to straighten it. The board was a loss; I walked away with about $200 in RAM at current reseller prices (i.e., Egg) and the processor, which also new was worth well over $250. The seller of the bundle had thrown in the OEM complete white-box for Win 7-64 Ultimate.

I replaced the board and the processor, and went through the telephone difficulty of reactivating the OS. No problem.

There are all sorts of mishaps that can occur with a computer, and there is a range of estimates to the value of data or the costs in time or money to completely reinstall an OS and software. Even good backup solutions can still cause enough trouble and time in installation.

So why would M$ impose a draconian requirement on Windows 10 "free-upgrade" if the difficulties could be counted as hardware -- whatever your real story about it? Sure, Gates is gone, but a culture has its ethics, and M$ wasn't founded by Dennis Kozlowski, Ken Lay or Bernie Madoff. You're not going to use that OS install on more than one computer at a time, anyway.

I'll be surprised if people report difficulties with this for a Win 10 upgrade to Win 7. In the meantime, I'm not sure what to do about me ol' Moms' computer. LGA775, last-issued Wolfdale, 4GB RAM, 120GB Intel Elm Crest SSD -- all in an old 1998 beige Gateway full-tower case. I worry more about the security and malware risk from flurries of Publisher Clearinghouse e-mails, health newsletters, and all sorts of spam and nonsense -- with no effort to cleaning, blocking or trusting e-mails and addresses. On a scale of Moms to Me, my brother is somewhere in-between -- less of a problem.

But that old Gigabyte m-ATX board and components just take a licking and keep on -- you know . . . As for Moms, she has everything she needs, and it is more and more "too much" for her. She doesn't want to change. So even Windows 10 with "Classic Desktop" is a bridge too far.