Acoustic Guitar 4 Beginner

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
I know this is really off topic but I have trusted the opinions posted here before with good results in the past. Basically I am thinking of getting an acoustic guitar but have no idea were to even start looking. I have done some basic research (just starting to look) and I know I don't want to just go out and buy a piece'o'crap guitar because if it doesn't sound good I probably wouldn't keep with it. So I am looking for a decent guitar that I can learn on. I only want to spend about $150 but if you guys really feel an extra $50 is worth it I will definitely consider it. So far the only one I have been referred to is Jampack" by Ibanez.

What are your thoughts?

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
My friend has that Ibanez... sound ok... feels a lot better than my crappy Epiphone. :( I wouldn't suggest buying an expensive guitar in case you decide to drop your new interest. Most of my friends who are now damn good at it all learned from crappy $50 guitars. :confused:

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
$150-$200? You're looking at a laminate top for sure. Check out Yamaha. Try playing an Ovation and see if you like it.

l2c

P.S. There are a ton of threads here about this very subject. Begin your research there.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
oh well, I searched under "Guitar Beginner" and pulled up squat...

Thx

all168

May 16, 2001
I think both sams and costco has a Yamaha guitar for $179.99, I want to learn it too, I took my first lesson when I was 10, did not continue, and trying to learn it now but don't have much spare time.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
I bought an el-cheapo Epihone (Gibson's entry line) drednaught acoustic for $90.00 at Guitar Center so I'd have a "throw it in a gig bag and go" knock around guitar. I was actually very impressed with the sound of it. I find myself playing it more than some of my better guitars (My Ovation included)

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: luv2chill
$150-$200? You're looking at a laminate top for sure. Check out Yamaha. Try playing an Ovation and see if you like it.

l2c

P.S. There are a ton of threads here about this very subject. Begin your research there.

I think you meant an Applause, made by Ovation... An Ovation is definatley NOT a cheap or even entry level guitar.

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
I would spend about $100-$150 and look through local classified ads, online, and in the used section of your local guitar shops. Try to find the best piece of junk, that you can fit within your budget and play. :) Going with a used or factory second will get you twice the guitar compared to buying new. Shop around. When you find some prospects, post em here and we'll give our $.02!

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
I would suggest going to an actual music store and pick out a guitar you like.
Ibanez, Epiphone, and Yamaha all make great entry level guitars just to name a few.

Some will sound warmer and others will sound brighter (although a lot of this has to do with the ammount of dirt in the strings however, the way the guitar projects it's sound will vary between models) some will have better action than others (which can always be altered later, but you may find one that feels good and save yourself the trouble). One model may have a thinner neck than another, you may or may not want a cut-away. But at least you can see exactly what you're getting your hands on BEFORE you buy.

Internet + shopping + beginner + guitars = TROUBLE.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
I think you meant an Applause, made by Ovation... An Ovation is definatley NOT a cheap or even entry level guitar.

Depends on which one... anything under $400 by ovation is hard to call above entry level. Honestly, if your set on acoustic, so be it. but if you want a electric, check out some stuff by Jay Turser. I bought a les-paul clone for $280, and it is better than my epiphone... They make one with the same stuff but dif hardware that you can find on ebay for like sub-$200 i think. If you are really set on acoustic, go with a used Seagull, as I have no experience with the Jay Turser acoustics.

My .02

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
start cheap, really...if you stick with it, move up. test em out and i know you can find one in your bracket. especially if you dont mind used.
thats where i got my starter...from someone who was trying to buy a newer guitar so he was selling a couple of his old ones.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
yamaha makes some solid tops for $200. DOnt know how good it is though....

I am selling my year old ibanez acoustic. Its very nice. PM me for details