ACLU turns on Obama as he "enshrines" Bush security policy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
They want their often rather twisted interpretation of the Constitution to be upheld. They claim the death penalty is unconstitutional, yet I see nothing in the Bill of Rights which says we can't have capital punishment.

Cruel and Unusual Punishment.

Jul 10, 2007

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Another interpretation, and the one I favor, is that it has to do with the politics of the war on terror. Obama initially approached this with a different attitude, but after the GOP hammered him on civilian trials, the underwear bomber, and closing guantanamo, it was all over for any kind of shift in national security policy. Terrorism is the single easiest issue to fearmonger for political gain right now in this country, and the fearmongering works quite well with voters.

I blame Obama for cowtowing to the right for political reasons and showing no backbone on this.

- wolf

Once again you so eloquently got it right.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Obamas policies were continuing bush before any of those events.

Just admit it, bush did the right thing.

Apparently you have an agenda and did not read what I quoted. How can I admit something that I obviosly don't believe?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Another interpretation, and the one I favor, is that it has to do with the politics of the war on terror. Obama initially approached this with a different attitude, but after the GOP hammered him on civilian trials, the underwear bomber, and closing guantanamo, it was all over for any kind of shift in national security policy. Terrorism is the single easiest issue to fearmonger for political gain right now in this country, and the fearmongering works quite well with voters.

I blame Obama for cowtowing to the right for political reasons and showing no backbone on this.

- wolf

Yup, but I see it just a tad differently. Politics, as we all know or should know, is the art of the possible. In order to marshal whatever political capital he had in support of his many domestic initiatives, he decided to retreat from and protect his "terrorism" flank from Republican attack and cover himself in the flag.

Given the ambitions of his domestic program and left with SO much to address domestically after 8 years of President Cheney, he prioritized.

It's done all the time in politics. Politics is the art of the possible.

It was cynical, but absolutely necessary. Try to fight on too many fronts at once politically, and you'd lose on them all. As it is, Obama has had a herculean task post Cheney/Bush, and he and his party will suffer for not magically making it ALL right in just 2 short years in 2010, and maybe also in 2012.

Never overestimate the collective intelligence and attention span of the American electorate! :D

And, wolf, you eminently sane and substantive poster, you, I have no major beef with you, but still would like to point out that there is no cow in kowtow. ;)

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Do you have anything to say that isn't spin? Obama is Dubya 2.0. Face the facts, fanboy.

So.

You got nothing.

Same question works for you, too, Flaming Boy:

Would you support a bill suggested by Obama that would negate the 15-20% of the Patriot Act which is so invasive and intrusive?

Or (most likely), will you continue to whine and personally attack those who disagree with you while never contributing anything of substance?

Facts is facts. If Obama recommended such legislation the 'Tards (including you) would eviscerate him as 'weak on terror!' , a mooslum and proclaim his hatred for America.

If you ever had an independent rational thought your head would explode.

--

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So.

You got nothing.

Would you support a bill suggested by Obama that would negate the 15-20% of the Patriot Act which is so invasive and intrusive?

Or (most likely), will you continue to whine and personally attack those who disagree with you while never contributing anything of substance?

Facts is facts. If Obama recommended such legislation the 'Tards (including you) would eviscerate him as 'weak on terror!' , a mooslum and proclaim his hatred for America.

--

Of course I'd support that. I never supported the Patriot Act in any form. Any more stupid questions, dipshit?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So.

You got nothing.

--

I would. But he has already done the opposite, so its kind of a worthless question.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Of course I'd support that. I never supported the Patriot Act in any form. Any more stupid questions, dipshit?

Thanks for displaying even more of your ignorance (and personal attacks). You need to study up on the 80 percent of the Patriot Act which benefits the protection of America.

Not a surprise that you RAGE! on about something of which you know nothing.

--

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks for displaying even more of your ignorance (and personal attacks). You need to study up on the 80 percent of the Patriot Act which benefits the protection of America.

Not a surprise that you RAGE! on about something of which you know nothing.

--

Oh, so you support the Patriot Act? I guess freedom scares you.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Good to know you understand they pick what civil liberties they like and defend.

Yea, those bastards even defended the American Nazi party freedom of assembly in Niles, Il. (has a large jewish population).

Proud card carrying member.

Actually Skokie, I was working for Alphatype Corp. at the time in Niles, which is next door.

Weird world, I grew up in Arlington, Va which at one time was the national headquarters of the American Nazi party.

Last edited:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Good to know you understand they pick what civil liberties they like and defend.

they fail on equal enforcement and representation. they pick and choose based on their hate America agenda.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Oh, so you support the Patriot Act? I guess freedom scares you.

So you, bobblehead Corn, IGBT (plus BoberFett), et. al., by implication of your total opposition to the Patriot Act are opposed to anti-money-laundering to prevent terrorism, improved investigative powers for border security and the increasing of Border Patrol personnel, Customs Service personnel and INS inspectors, the codification of Terrorism and 'cyber-terrorism' criminal law, improved communication between intelligence agencies and law enforcement to combat terrorist threats, and improved emergency relief and crisis response efforts for the victims and families of victims of terrorism ??

It's really good to know where all you guys stand. You at least acknowledge the benefits of the ALCU efforts, but your RAGE! rings hollow when you play along and associate with the 'Nutters.

--

--