ACLU turns on Obama as he "enshrines" Bush security policy

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I've said all along that the reason he is continuing Bush's security and terrorism policies is because once he got into office and truly had all the intel in front of him he had his awakening. His Holy Shit moment - "Bush was right and we need to continue to stay the course."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128852988

A new study of President Obama's national security policies finds that he has adopted much of his predecessor's approach to fighting terror. The report by the American Civil Liberties Union says President Obama is creating a lasting legal architecture to support policies that were considered controversial, even extreme, under President George W. Bush.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I've said all along that the reason he is continuing Bush's security and terrorism policies is because once he got into office and truly had all the intel in front of him he had his awakening. His Holy Shit moment - "Bush was right and we need to continue to stay the course."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128852988

Your an idiot dude.
Yopu would have to be totally nieve if you were to believe that everything GWB did was wrong and without merit!!

Most of what he did was wrong and led to the problems we are having now..everybody knows this.

But not everything GWB was bad!!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
ACLU bad, Obama bad, Bush good.... got it.

So then you agree with Obama security and terrorism policy? Because if you do, you have to admit Bush was right because Obama is doing pretty much the same.

Common sense would lead one to believe that Obama didn't have access to intelligence that a president has and once he did, realized it would be against our best interests to not follow the current course of action against our enemies.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So then you agree with Obama security and terrorism policy? Because if you do, you have to admit Bush was right because Obama is doing pretty much the same.

Common sense would lead one to believe that Obama didn't have access to intelligence that a president has and once he did, realized it would be against our best interests to not follow the current course of action against our enemies.

Yep. Although I strongly disagree with the continuation and strengthening of the (un)Patriot Act. Its pretty easy to armchair quarterback national security though.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
So the ACLU has far more principles than either of those pathetic politicians, and more of a respect for the Constitution (Second Amendment aside).

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I doubt national security had much to do with his continuation of Bush policies. I see it as expanding central government powers, and Obama would be the least likely president to give up any powers he inherited from his predecessors.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
If the ACLU had its way it would be impossible to fight crime in the US or terrorism abroad.

A while back I read a pretty good quote that sums up the ACLU types.

"It's axiomatic that much of the impetus for liberal reforms to the criminal-justice system comes these days from people who by reason of affluence or professional environment are seldom exposed to the realities of crime.

Their favorite reforms include the festooning of police and court procedures with imaginative new pro-defense complexities, abolition of capital punishment and emphasis on the supposed rehabilitation of dangerous convicts rather than their secure incarceration.

These are touted as desirable on the basis of their sponsors' intentions. They will make a theoretically better society, it is argued, even if it turns out to be a more dangerous one. Naturally, people who lead less protected lives tend to take a different view of such reform proposals."

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
If the ACLU had its way it would be impossible to fight crime in the US or terrorism abroad.

A while back I read a pretty good quote that sums up the ACLU types.

"It's axiomatic that much of the impetus for liberal reforms to the criminal-justice system comes these days from people who by reason of affluence or professional environment are seldom exposed to the realities of crime.

Their favorite reforms include the festooning of police and court procedures with imaginative new pro-defense complexities, abolition of capital punishment and emphasis on the supposed rehabilitation of dangerous convicts rather than their secure incarceration.

These are touted as desirable on the basis of their sponsors' intentions. They will make a theoretically better society, it is argued, even if it turns out to be a more dangerous one. Naturally, people who lead less protected lives tend to take a different view of such reform proposals."

Yeah, how DARE the ACLU want Constitution to be upheld.

Also, Bush was wrong with his policies. Obama is wrong for continuing them. It is not an excuse to do something and then say "but he did it too". Did I think and hope that Obama would get rid of some of the unconstitutional things Bush did? Yes. Have I been disappointed that he hasn't? Yes. Could I go back in time would I vote for McCain? Oh god no, for any reason in this world, no, not for a billion dollars or if you were to hold a gun to my head.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I vote for McCain? Oh god no, for any reason in this world, no, not for a billion dollars or if you were to hold a gun to my head.
I would have voted for him for a billion dollars in a heartbeat, probably for much less.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Apparently that, or a bullet to the brain, is insufficient for lunatics who think Iran/NK are more reasonable then Republicans. :D
Hey with that Billion Dollars you could actually have a say in how the country is run.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I doubt national security had much to do with his continuation of Bush policies. I see it as expanding central government powers, and Obama would be the least likely president to give up any powers he inherited from his predecessors.

Another interpretation, and the one I favor, is that it has to do with the politics of the war on terror. Obama initially approached this with a different attitude, but after the GOP hammered him on civilian trials, the underwear bomber, and closing guantanamo, it was all over for any kind of shift in national security policy. Terrorism is the single easiest issue to fearmonger for political gain right now in this country, and the fearmongering works quite well with voters.

I blame Obama for cowtowing to the right for political reasons and showing no backbone on this.

- wolf

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Yeah, how DARE the ACLU want Constitution to be upheld.

They want their often rather twisted interpretation of the Constitution to be upheld. They claim the death penalty is unconstitutional, yet I see nothing in the Bill of Rights which says we can't have capital punishment.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Another interpretation, and the one I favor, is that it has to do with the politics of the war on terror. Obama initially approached this with a different attitude, but after the GOP hammered him on civilian trials, the underwear bomber, and closing guantanamo, it was all over for any kind of shift in national security policy. Terrorism is the single easiest issue to fearmonger for political gain right now in this country, and the fearmongering works quite well with voters.

I blame Obama for cowtowing to the right for political reasons and showing no backbone on this.

- wolf
I really don't think Obama ever had any intentions to drift from Bush on Civil Liberties, looking at his 84% pro-Iraq War voting record, his 100% pro-PATRIOT Act voting record and his speech about Bin Laden and how the Democrats were the party of LBJ and FDR and that Bush was weak on terrorism. That was a red alarm right there to me.

That was why I considered him the same as McCain; their voting records were just alike once upon a time.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
They want their often rather twisted interpretation of the Constitution to be upheld. They claim the death penalty is unconstitutional, yet I see nothing in the Bill of Rights which says we can't have capital punishment.

The ACLU does more good than harm; and they still are better than many of our politicians.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

This. Only a fool would believe that the Patriot Act has kept terrorist from attacking America. It's all about power.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

If Congress had the nuggets to fix the Patriot Act this would not be an issue. But since you are a Founding Member of the Goebbels School of Political Propaganda and Personal Smear, would you support a bill suggested by Obama that would negate the 15-20% of the Patriot Act which is so intrusive.

I suspect not. You would be fighting for pole position with Anus and Amused proclaiming in infinitum:

OBAMA LOVES DEH TERR'ISTS !!

--

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If Congress had the nuggets to fix the Patriot Act this would not be an issue. But since you are a Founding Member of the Goebbels School of Political Propaganda and Personal Smear, would you support a bill suggested by Obama that would negate the 15-20% of the Patriot Act which is so intrusive.

I suspect not. You would be fighting for pole position with Anus and Amused proclaiming in infinitum:

OBAMA LOVES DEH TERR'ISTS !!
--

Do you have anything to say that isn't spin? Obama is Dubya 2.0. Face the facts, fanboy.