ACLU to represent KKK in Georgia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The ACLU has ALWAYS been the leading organization protecting the first amendment. They have represented lots of scum in the past to protect free speech. In fact the nature of the clients the ACLU represents is why so-called conservatives hate the ACLU. I doubt the phony "conservatives" will change their tune on the ACLU now that it is protecting one of their own.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
From my perspective it's exceedingly rare. They're always first in line to want to assert rights related to liberal causes, but rarely there to support other rights.

Well we on the left always appreciate when a hardcore conservative admits that the Bill of Rights is a liberal cause. Thanks!

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The ACLU has ALWAYS been the leading organization protecting the first amendment. They have represented lots of scum in the past to protect free speech. In fact the nature of the clients the ACLU represents is why so-called conservatives hate the ACLU. I doubt the phony "conservatives" will change their tune on the ACLU now that it is protecting one of their own.

You are being obtuse if you think the conservatives here support the KKK.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't think it has anything to do with Byrd. I think that it's simply the ACLU standing up for Constitutional rights, regardless of whether they like what that free speech is saying or not.

++

This is just the OP's attempt to troll by trying to bring up Byrd and prejudice the thread from the start. Trolling 101 from him.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Gotta agree with Phokus here, while other partisan groups tend to exhibit bias, the one word we can apply the the ACLU is "consistent."

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Gotta agree with Phokus here, while other partisan groups tend to exhibit bias, the one word we can apply the the ACLU is "consistent."

Yep, I was living in Chicago when the ACLU defended the rights of the NAZI party to march through downtown Skokie, Il which borders the city and is has a majority population of Jews.

"They" don't like em because they used to defend a lot of communists back in the McCarthy days. And they've never been big on defending the 2nd amendment. Which is bad in these trying times of the gun grabb'n that's been goin on here of late.;)

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Do you all think it is in posthumous homage to Sen. Byrd?

So you think so then?

If I asked if Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation was valid, would you think that means I say it is valid? That would be a stupid thing to think, since we know it has been proven false and replaced by Einstein's theory. Your political bias is showing...

You claimed I held a position based on asking a question. If that is not what you wanted to claim, you should not have claimed it.

cybrsage,

This entire line of conversation is pure and simple baiting. You baited the audience into taking an opposing stance to your opening line question in the OP and then proceeded to inflame the situation by pouncing on their responses as if the point of the thread was merely to debate for the sake of debating.

This forum is not the "debate forum", do not start threads simply for the purposes of your own entertainment in debating individuals over pedantic vagaries.

This is what others refer to as trolling, you may not agree that the term itself is appropriate, so call it what you like - trolling, baiting, arguing, etc - the bottom line is that it is disruptive and unproductive.

The disruption and unproductive discourse needs to stop.

Administrator Idontcare

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I don't think it has anything to do with Byrd. I think that it's simply the ACLU standing up for Constitutional rights, regardless of whether they like what that free speech is saying or not.

This.

I used to think the ACLU was a bunch of law school burnouts who sat around and drank mead dreaming up ways to socialize the USA using their skillset, and only caring about cases that furthered a liberal agenda.

Of course I was probably 16 at the time.

Anyway, if you really look at there work, especially recently, they clearly have a line to strive for that is much higher than petty partisan BS, unlike here in P&N.

Simply put, ACLU doesn't fit into the typical mind of an ATP&N'er.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Reminds me of the ACLU defending one of their biggest haters...Rush Limbaugh.

I for one, don't get all the "ACLU Hate." Their sole mission is to defend the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

It's generally easy to defend "free speech" with which you agree...defending "free speech" that says things you hate with every fiber of your being is more difficult...but you don't get one without the other.

I shake my head in dismay at the folks who call the ACLU "Commies and pinkos," or other stupid names...could it be THEY who hate the USA and its Constitution?

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Previously happened in Missouri.

Also, the ACLU is there for everyone, even the stupid fucking blowhards that ignorantly lament them.

Beat me to it, Missouri I mean.

To the KKK's credit they seem to do an OK job of keeping their section relatively clean.

I'll have to look it up but I think there was some blowback from the KKK when a section of I-55 near their clean-up section was renamed in honor of Rosa Parks.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I am not sure how this will end when it gets into the court system. I suspect it may go up to the SCOTUS. GA has a horrible history wrt the treatment of blacks and only recently (last several decades) has actually moved past it. The KKK represents all that GA left behind.

If the KKK can do the road cleaning, they will have a sign up promoting them and they could very well be seen on the side of the road in their hoods and gowns. I suspect this is what GA is trying to avoid.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
If the KKK can do the road cleaning, they will have a sign up promoting them and they could very well be seen on the side of the road in their hoods and gowns. I suspect this is what GA is trying to avoid.
On what basis do you make this assertion? IIRC, they have not done this in other places where they've done highway clean-up. And, I suspect that your suspicions aren't correct. I think GA is simply trying to avoid free advertising for a hate group (and, inadvertently, has given them 100x as much free press.)

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
On what basis do you make this assertion? IIRC, they have not done this in other places where they've done highway clean-up. And, I suspect that your suspicions aren't correct. I think GA is simply trying to avoid free advertising for a hate group (and, inadvertently, has given them 100x as much free press.)

Just picking a nit here... It wouldn't be free, because they're donating to adopt the stretch.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
This is a rare instance of the ACLU doing the right thing. Constitutional rights have to be protected, even if those seeking to use their rights are scum, or plan to use those rights in a way we don't like.

It isn't really all that rare, actually. They defended the Neo-Nazis who wanted to March in an Illinois community that had a lot of Holocaust survivors in it. They've been doing this sort of thing for decades.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
It isn't really all that rare, actually. They defended the Neo-Nazis who wanted to March in an Illinois community that had a lot of Holocaust survivors in it. They've been doing this sort of thing for decades.

The Skokie case was 1977. I'm sure they've been involved in other 'against-the-grain' cases like that since, but I'm struggling to remember any. I'm pretty sure they filed a brief in support of the majority result in Citizens United - not sure how happy many here are going to be hearing that.

As someone already mentioned, I'd like to see them take a stronger stand on 2nd Amendment issues - that's a civil right as well, at least IMHO.

Last edited:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
From my perspective it's exceedingly rare.

From your perspective the earth is flat and ACA is unconstitutional.

They're always first in line to want to assert rights related to liberal causes, but rarely there to support other rights.

I'm sorry but reality begs to differ.

Feb 6, 2007
The ACLU has a history of defending the KKK's right to speech and assembly dating back to 1923. This is nothing out of the ordinary for them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is a rare instance of the ACLU doing the right thing. Constitutional rights have to be protected, even if those seeking to use their rights are scum, or plan to use those rights in a way we don't like.

This is pretty much always what the ACLU does. I suppose you just happen to dislike many of the freedoms they defend.

:hmm:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Reminds me of the ACLU defending one of their biggest haters...Rush Limbaugh.

I for one, don't get all the "ACLU Hate." Their sole mission is to defend the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

It's generally easy to defend "free speech" with which you agree...defending "free speech" that says things you hate with every fiber of your being is more difficult...but you don't get one without the other.

I shake my head in dismay at the folks who call the ACLU "Commies and pinkos," or other stupid names...could it be THEY who hate the USA and its Constitution?

It always is.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You are being obtuse if you think the conservatives here support the KKK.

All of them? not likely.

Some of them? ....have you read the comments from some of these so-called conservatives? A few obvious members come to mind.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The ACLU has a history of defending the KKK's right to speech and assembly dating back to 1923. This is nothing out of the ordinary for them.

Except for those that have been propagandized into thinking it is out of the ordinary for the ACLU to protect without prejudice or bias. ;)

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
As someone already mentioned, I'd like to see them take a stronger stand on 2nd Amendment issues - that's a civil right as well, at least IMHO.

Were there not a bunch of influential and well-funded organizations already that defend the 2nd amendment, I'd agree.