ACLU sues over Evolution in Textbooks.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Today, disclaimers on the theory of evolution. Tomorow? How about a disclaimer on solar system diagrams, the earth is the center of the universe. How about a disclaimer on the Periodic Table, there are only 3 elements(earth, wind, fire). Objects of different mass's fall at the same rate, BS, drop a feather and a rock, then put in a disclaimer!!

At first many(modern day Creationists) will read the above and say, "WTF(maybe not this way..but ;) ) are you talking about? Everyone knows that those disclaimers are dead wrong and that scientific observation proves the ideas they were being applied too!!??" If that person is you, then you almost understand the dilemna for science here. If you went back in time, you'd find the people who would insist on those disclaimers. These people were not morons, crazy, or the insane but they were convinced that those who put forth the truth that we accept today were morons, crazy, and the insane. These people were so convinced that they were right and that madman with a telescope, the madman with the atomic theory, and the madman with 2 lead weights were absolutely insane and hell bent on perverting innocent children with their blasphemies. Those people had their "evidence" and it was actually based on observation, but they were wrong!

Let scientists do their science. If you do, science will eventually discover the truth of the physical realm. If you don't, religions will completely forget it's purpose, by laying aside spiritual truth for the teaching of physical "truth" with absolutely no basis in reality. It's happened before(see above) and it seems to be happening again. :(

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
Link

I agree with the ACLU here. There are very few laws in science and its mostly theories, yet the disclaimer doesnt explain that all theories arent fact, it singles out evolution?

If the concerned parents wanted to put a bigger disclaimer defining in detail what a theory is and saying that ALL theories aren't fact, then that'd be much more reasonable.

Though, "higher intelligence" should not be taught in public schools.

Both evolution and creationism are nothing more than theory and can't be proven or disproven. If you teach one, teach the other along side it and teach both as theory and let each student decide what they want to believe.

nik

rolleye.gif

how about we teach science in science class and leave religous ramblings for indoctrination camps...err....churches.

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002
Both evolution and creationism are nothing more than theory and can't be proven or disproven. If you teach one, teach the other along side it and teach both as theory and let each student decide what they want to believe.

nik

that cracks me up. your proposing equivalents that don't exist. creationist theory has the same credibility that the universe came out of my ass theory. That cannot be proven or disproven either. you might as well teach that one too. or maybe it was zeus's ars and not mine, who knows, they are both as valid as creationism. its an arguement that decends into absurdity.

#1 the spiritual essense of pooteh is all knowing, all powerful, and the creator of all things.

how is this true??

refer to #1 for proof.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Pooteh

nik

that cracks me up. your proposing equivalents that don't exist. creationist theory has the same credibility that the universe came out of my ass theory. That cannot be proven or disproven either. you might as well teach that one too. or maybe it was zeus's ars and not mine, who knows, they are both as valid as creationism. its an arguement that decends into absurdity.

#1 the spiritual essense of pooteh is all knowing, all powerful, and the creator of all things.

how is this true??

refer to #1 for proof.

LOL

Write a book about it. Maybe then people will believe the universe came out of your ass. ;)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno

nik

how is this true??

refer to #1 for proof.

LOL

Write a book about it. Maybe then people will believe the universe came out of your ass. ;)

That's what that smell is! :eek: :D

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski

nik

how is this true??

refer to #1 for proof.

LOL

That's what that smell is! :eek: :D

It definitely explains why people are so full of sh!t. :D

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ELP
Originally posted by: ElFenix
then again, there's a lot of so-called evidence for creationism as well.

nik

name some.

Make me, Mr. Bad Attitude.

nik

Seriously, ffmcobalt, name some. I'm not trying to get smart, I don't think he was either.

I did a search and it seems there IS lots of proof for creationism
all the proof you'll ever need. ;)

So I should just believe a book with no author written thousands of years ago and changed several times?

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
BAH! Let the ACLU sue if they want... gives them something to do. I like what Scott Adams said about evolution... it'll be disproven pretty soon. If not, evolve for me... :p
I didn't say creationism is right either but of course most defenders of evolution immediately jump to that conclusion. *sigh*

Honestly, you'll never convince someone against what they believe in unless they are truly open-minded... a rare thing these days. I was in several religious studies classes at my university and the entire department plainly stated a lot of things people in the class didn't like.

ie that pluralism is utter crap... it doesn't work, there's too many holes in the idea... the "different parts of the same elephant" doesn't quite work... there are too many fundamentally opposing ideas in religion for it to work... or ... this one gets people REALLY riled up... post-modern thinking doesn't work... I don't go into detail but let's just say ethics needs a grounding on some base truths... it can't be nothing/anything... there can't be "what's true for you isn't true for me" stuff that's gained so much popularity these days.

... now time for the flames to begin!!! :D

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

nik

name some.

nik

Seriously, ffmcobalt, name some. I'm not trying to get smart, I don't think he was either.

So I should just believe a book with no author written thousands of years ago and changed several times?

It didn't.

nik

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Link

I agree with the ACLU here. There are very few laws in science and its mostly theories, yet the disclaimer doesnt explain that all theories arent fact, it singles out evolution?

If the concerned parents wanted to put a bigger disclaimer defining in detail what a theory is and saying that ALL theories aren't fact, then that'd be much more reasonable.

Though, "higher intelligence" should not be taught in public schools.

nik

rolleye.gif

how about we teach science in science class and leave religous ramblings for indoctrination camps...err....churches.

If that means leaving evolutionary bullshit out as well as creationism, then fine with me.

nik

CocaCola5

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2001
Evolution is not a requirement to learn science, just like you don't need to know the "Big Bang" theory to study say physics.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: CocaCola5
Evolution is not a requirement to learn science, just like you don't need to know the "Big Bang" theory to study say physics.

Then why is it that students flunk if they refuse to listen to the bullsh-- uh, I mean teaching?

nik

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001

nik

name some.

nik

It didn't.

nik

Where'd the Book of Enoch go?

CocaCola5

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2001

Then why is it that students flunk if they refuse to listen to the bullsh-- uh, I mean teaching?

nik

I was taught like this also in HS but yeah its stupid...

I think its was earlier(G6 or 7 for me) which is way too early I think regardless...

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

nik

name some.

nik

It didn't.

nik

It has been decided in close study by world-wide accepted Biblical authorities that some books that have been claimed to be part of the Bible are merely someone's story instead of a divine inspiration that are obviously characteristic of other books.

nik

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001

nik

name some.

nik

It didn't.

nik

It has been decided in close study by world-wide accepted Biblical authorities that some books that have been claimed to be part of the Bible are merely someone's story instead of a divine inspiration that are obviously characteristic of other books.

nik

So the higher ups decide what's divine inspiration and what isn't? How do we know that they aren't all merely "someone's story?"

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

nik

Seriously now, what would YOU like to see in the class nik? Kids being taught the bible is the Truth, and anything anyone says against it is bullshlt?

d0Rk

Jan 6, 2002
Ah religion vs science

Both religion and science aim to explain the workings of the universe. Major difference, one book is already complete and finished being revised, the other continues to enlighten us with new findings and explanations that may lead to predictions. Religon is based on concrete scriptures and ideology that applied to people's understanding of the world way back whenever (rarely changed). It's all blind faith that causes many more problems than it solves. Too many people die because of it (Ie: Crusades, Inquisition, Jihaad just to name a few of their larger bloodbaths). I pay taxes to my government, I wont be taxed by the self appointed representatives of the Almighty Creator.

ON THE OTHER HAND... The word THEORY is self explanatory in that it is not yet prooved without a doubt (look it up religous zealots). It's different from scientific LAWS that are prooved true in 100% of cases tested (ie gravity). Are the stickers valid... YES!!! Is it necassary... well only for people who own a bible and not a dictionary. I'll abandon scientific reason when God makes an apearance and tells me to.
Until then, leave religion out of the science classroom, and take your kids to wherever else to learn about outdated philiosophies.

As if FOX NEWS acctually contributes anything useful to society.