ACLU Monitors Minutemen on the Border

johnnobts

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
Sorry I don't have a link, watched it on Fox News last night on Special Report.

The Minutemen have rallied together again to monitor the Mexico/US border, they're watching for Mexicans trying to cross over illegally into the country. As usual, the border patrol was grateful for their assistance.

Meanwhile, while the Minutemen have been monitoring the border, the ACLU has been carefully monitoring the Minutemen. There were members of the ACLU following and observing the behavior of these volunteer Americans as they patrolled the border.

My simple question: Why is the ACLU scrutinizing over the Minutemen program? WHy are they monitoring American citizens who are peacefully assembling as is their constitutional right, and helping to do something that the goevrnment should be doing a better job of anyway: securing out border? Do they want to make sure than non-Americans' rights aren't violated? Why not call themselves the ICLU: Illegal Civil Liberties Union? Its ridiculous to me... If this is what these folks want to do, protect the so-called rights of illegal immigrants, shouldn't they not be doing it in association with the ACLU?

That being said, I don't have a problem with treating illegals humanely. Offer them some milk and cookies, some water for the trip back to Mexico before they go on their way... I'm not advocating abusing them or anything, just preventing them unfettered admittance into the country. So I don't have a problem with certain agencies monitoring the conduct of the minutemen. If Mexican lawyers want to observe them, let them. But for the love of God, not the ACLU! Makes no sense... Maybe they've forgetten what the "A" stands for in ACLU... Or maybe they think it includes all North Americans, including Mexicans?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Because, the minuteman has always been throught history a KKK offshoot, and has visibly been attracting white nationalist (nazi) aspects of our population with the ratcheted up immigration debate.

Concerned (though misguided) americans are fine, but when it is a haven for ticked off nazis and wite supremisists it is asking for trouble.

Provoking a race war is in their best interests to swell their ranks,the minutemen is a perfect magnet.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: johnnobts
Sorry I don't have a link, watched it on Fox News last night on Special Report.

The Minutemen have rallied together again to monitor the Mexico/US border, they're watching for Mexicans trying to cross over illegally into the country. As usual, the border patrol was grateful for their assistance.
Oh Really?
Meanwhile, while the Minutemen have been monitoring the border, the ACLU has been carefully monitoring the Minutemen. There were members of the ACLU following and observing the behavior of these volunteer Americans as they patrolled the border.

My simple question: Why is the ACLU scrutinizing over the Minutemen program?
To make sure they don't violate Civil Liberties, duh.
WHy are they monitoring American citizens who are peacefully assembling as is their constitutional right, and helping to do something that the goevrnment should be doing a better job of anyway: securing out border?
Because they have a right to do that? ACLU can peacefully assemble and watch the Minutemen too
Do they want to make sure than non-Americans' rights aren't violated?
Yes
Why not call themselves the ICLU: Illegal Civil Liberties Union?
Because what they are doing is legal, and it's in America?
Its ridiculous to me... If this is what these folks want to do, protect the so-called rights of illegal immigrants, shouldn't they not be doing it in association with the ACLU?
This has been decided by courts many times, that even illegals have some civil liberties in the US
That being said, I don't have a problem with treating illegals humanely. Offer them some milk and cookies, some water for the trip back to Mexico before they go on their way... I'm not advocating abusing them or anything, just preventing them unfettered admittance into the country. So I don't have a problem with certain agencies monitoring the conduct of the minutemen. If Mexican lawyers want to observe them, let them.
Mexican lawyers are in Mexico. ACLU is on the US side of the fence. If you have no problem with certain agencies observing them, then it shouldn't matter if it's ACLU or not
But for the love of God, not the ACLU! Makes no sense... Maybe they've forgetten what the "A" stands for in ACLU... Or maybe they think it includes all North Americans, including Mexicans?
It stands for American. They are observing the minutement in America, to make sure people's civil liberties aren't violated in America. What exactly don't you understand?
You just hate ACLU for your own reasons, and that's fine, but why b!tch and moan about them doing what you yourself don't have a problem with "certain agencies" doing.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
Because, the minuteman has always been throught history a KKK offshoot, and has visibly been attracting white nationalist (nazi) aspects of our population with the ratched up immigration debate.

Concerned (though misguided) americans are fine, but when it is a haven for ticked off nazis and wite supremisists it is asking for trouble.

Provoking a race war is in their best interests to swell their ranks,the minutemen is a perfect magnet.

Oh that is intertesting, are you implying the ACLU doesnt think that White supremicists and Nazis have the right to assembly within our nation?

I also wonder what the ACLU is down on the border harassing American citizens who want to do the job the federal govt doesnt.

johnnobts

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
still wondering why its the aclu monitoring the minutement...

also, to my knoweldge, hasn't been a single incident of violence reported concerning these minutement. their policy is actually not to even make contact with the illegals, not even to talk to them, only to call into the border patrol and give them the location of the border violations as they occur. only the border patrol makes actual contact with the tresspassors.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Because, the minuteman has always been throught history a KKK offshoot, and has visibly been attracting white nationalist (nazi) aspects of our population with the ratched up immigration debate.

Oh that is intertesting, are you implying the ACLU doesnt think that White supremicists and Nazis have the right to assembly within our nation?

I also wonder what the ACLU is down on the border harassing American citizens who want to do the job the federal govt doesnt.

No but they are hate groups with a long history of violence and instigating problems, and it is groups like the ACLU that watch out for this. Dont play dumb.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

No but they are hate groups with a long history of violence and instigating problems, and it is groups like the ACLU that watch out for this. Dont play dumb.

Really? I am interested in the long history of hate crimes the Minutemen have committed.

I thought it was the job of local law enforcement to take care of crime, not the ACLU?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002

I thought it was the job of local law enforcement to take care of crime, not the ACLU?

Any more so for the Border Patrol taking care of the situation, and it's none of the Minitmens' business how a branch of the US Enforcement operates either.

They are wasting the Border Patrols precious budget, equipment utilization, and manpower just by playing macho.

Paranoid, Biggot, Racist, 'Merika - Damn tootin' Bubba.

ACLU as as much right as any Neo-Nazi Hate Organization to 'Observe' - and call authorities as they see fit.

God, what a pinheaded society we have cowered our selves to be. "Mr. Gorbochov, Tear Down This Wall . . .
We need to rebuild your wall along our Mecican Border."

Isolationist Supremists - GOP Home of the New Klan - the Nixon 'Southern Strategy' just as planned, for your amusement.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
They are named after the freakin original san diego KKK border group "The minutemen" in the 30's, no they arent racist, no of course the national front isnt aligned with them and trot out nazi flags with them at protests latley, sure.

in right wing rhetoric world up is clearly not up and the minutemen are just there to "protect" us. :roll:

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Because, the minuteman has always been throught history a KKK offshoot, and has visibly been attracting white nationalist (nazi) aspects of our population with the ratcheted up immigration debate.

omg...

bayou

Jun 12, 2005
From the link you posted:
"Maheda says agents also have to worry about protecting Minutemen from violent crossers. He says 18,000 caught in the last six months have criminal records in the U.S."

So illegals with a criminal record have rights in the US also? I don't think the ACLU should be involved either. It is, after all, the AMERICAN Civil Liberties Union. Illegal immigrants are here illegally and are not Americans. Why should their civil liberties be policed by the ACLU? They don't deserve civil liberties because they are here illegally.

While I understand the arguments for needing illegals for cheap, underpaid labor, what about all of the problems illegal immigrants have created.... health care issues, overcrowding, increased crime, refusing to learn to speak English. I could go on & on. I don't have a problem with immigrants coming into the US legally. Anyone who wants to immigrate here should do so legally.

I don't take issue with immigrants trying to preserve parts of their culture. BUT if you want to come here to enjoy the few civil liberties left and the quickly fading so-called democracy of the US and do so without drawing criticism or being ostracized then learn the language and follow the law.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

Yeah, because everyone that wants to stop illegal immigration is a nazi, KKK member, or a white supremacist. Nice generalization there from a supposedly tolerant liberal, labeling minutemen as nazis and KKK.

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
Since, apparently, if people have nothing to hide they shouldn't worry about the government snooping through their lives (as claimed many times here), the same would go for these 'Minutemen'... if they have nothing to hide why worry about ACLU oversight?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: ntdz

Yeah, because everyone that wants to stop illegal immigration is a nazi, KKK member, or a white supremacist. Nice generalization there from a supposedly tolerant liberal, labeling minutemen as nazis and KKK.

Awww, poor you, sucks to hear the "non-PC" truth from the other side huh? The minutemen are nothing less then a new-school KKK offshoot that didn't even bother to change their name. Nothing less then a bunch of lowbrow racist wingnuts too scared to actually go kill the brown people they hate so much in iraq so they choose to harass unarmed poor trying to come here to make a living.
Typical nazi bullys not willing to fight unless the odds are vastly in their favor.

Go troll stormfront and national alliance forums, there you will find the minutemen.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
They are named after the freakin original san diego KKK border group "The minutemen" in the 30's, no they arent racist, no of course the national front isnt aligned with them and trot out nazi flags with them at protests latley, sure.

in right wing rhetoric world up is clearly not up and the minutemen are just there to "protect" us. :roll:

The term minutemen goes back much further then the 30's and has always had patriotic connotations. I guess i could claim they are named after a punk band....

And if you look at what they are actually doing: is not trying to protect us, but to bring attention to a problem.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: shrumpage

The term minutemen goes back much further then the 30's and has always had patriotic connotations. I guess i could claim they are named after a punk band....

And if you look at what they are actually doing: is not trying to protect us, but to bring attention to a problem.

Yeah right, the original minutemen were not border guards watching out for immigrants, that would be the KKK in the 30's, if you choose to ignore this obvious fact then you are playing ignorant, not my concern.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
I'm not sure what the ACLU are doing either. But anyone denying that the minutemen are racist is fooling themselves. Anyone who spends the time and energy to watch a piece of desert has to really hate Mexicans. How many minutemen are watching the Canadian borders?

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Originally posted by: shrumpage

Yeah right, the original minutemen were not border guards watching out for immigrants, that would be the KKK in the 30's, if you choose to ignore this obvious fact then you are playing ignorant, not my concern.

You are pretty dense - only trying to see the world through your very narrow view. Any one with a basic understanding of US history can understand where they derived their name from.

Why you don't you provide some refernce to your claim that they take their name from that instead of the group that was designated - to protect the country from british invasion.

I think most people can see the connection the minutemen(today) are trying to make to their namesake.

Amplifier

Banned
Dec 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Todd33
I'm not sure what the ACLU are doing either. But anyone denying that the minutemen are racist is fooling themselves. Anyone who spends the time and energy to watch a piece of desert has to really hate Mexicans. How many minutemen are watching the Canadian borders?

Doesn't matter that they're racist. In a job like this being racist can be a good thing, they'll have passion for the job! I don't see them as letting their personal beliefs interfere with the job at hand and if they do, dismiss them.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
God, what a pinheaded society we have cowered our selves to be. "Mr. Gorbochov, Tear Down This Wall . . .
We need to rebuild your wall along our Mecican Border."

The difference is that the proposed wall along the Southern border would be intended to keep people out whereas the Berlin Wall was intended to lock people in.

Huge difference. Get it?

I take it that in your view it would be perfectly OK if we opened up the borders and 50 million impoverished people came to the U.S. next year, inflicting tremendous costs on Americans and resulting in the destruction of the job markets for the poor and lower-middle class?

Impoverished Americans--you'd like that, wouldn't you?

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Originally posted by: Todd33

Doesn't matter that they're racist. In a job like this being racist can be a good thing, they'll have passion for the job! I don't see them as letting their personal beliefs interfere with the job at hand and if they do, dismiss them.

It's not a job....

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
So a group of US citizens decides to enforce the law, and the ACLU is the bad guy for watching out and making sure that's all they are doing?

Really, perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation, but we have two groups of volunteer US citizens here. One group is doing policework, making sure illegal aliens don't cross the border. The other group is also doing police work, making sure the first group isn't breaking the law. But for some reason, the second group is evil and crazy for doing so. Is this some sort of naive trust in ANYONE who claims they are "helping America"? Because as far as I know, the Minutemen have no real authority at all and are pretty much just a bunch of random guys. Which is fine, but I personally feel better with someone making sure they AREN'T doing anything wrong.

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
Big guns in the hands of men with small cocks and an inferiority complex... the US is safer already. :)
If these people could recognize the most serious threat to America they would be patrolling Washington DC not the border. :D