ACLU... hate them or love them?

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
I'm a liberal. The Liberal Party.

But there is something about the ACLU that just sickens me. It seems that they want to take down America by attacking our religion, the way we live and just American society in general. They do have some good causes but most seem selfish. For instance... the stink about not saying God when an American is reciting the Pledge of Allegence is just idiotic. Jesus... will this accomplish anything?

So what are your opinions of the ACLU?

:D

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
i personally support the ACLU
the ACLU has never attacked a religion,
if anything they work to keep your religious freedoms yours.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
I think they need to balance out a little. They take high-profile cases that are pretty far left. They have to slow it down a little and quit attacking religion while defending NAMBLA. A lot of liberals I know say that ACLU is too liberal for them. I used to be almost as liberal as ACLU is but I realized extremism is only fun if you only hang around extremists. :p

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well re: the pledge, I don't give a damn about saying god or not, however, that line was not present in the original pledge of allegiance; it was added in the 1950's(?), which is probably their qualm about it.

As for the ACLU in general, I respect their cause entirely. I think it's fair and normal to have a negative reaction towards some of the idiotic things they fight for, and the sickos they represent, but in total I think they are a very important organization.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
they seem to focus on liberty without any regard for justice.

that's my beef with the ACLU and liberals in general.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
I just checked out the ACLU website. Looks pretty cool. I might have changed my mind, but I'll have to read up on their causes later on in the week. Maybe I'll become a card carrying ACLU member! Who knows...

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
The ACLU defends the rights to assemble for KKK, defends the rights of people to not be indoctrinated by any religion, both things I personally disagree with. However I support them them to the tune of $50 a month because I believe they have shown consistancy in thier ardent efforts to protect individual rights and the bill of rights which has benefited us all.
Only problem I have with them is thier "interpretive" tkae on the second amendment but I think the hard core conservatives "bill barr" in thier leadership will evejntually change thier ways.

aluehrs

Aug 15, 2002
The aclu supports Nambla (north american man boy love association) they provide legal consultation to "alleged" child molesters....

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Support ACLU.
ACLU is the organization that everyone loves to hate
until their rights are trampled on.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
ACLU... hate them or love them?

Love 'em...but want to smack some sense into them. They take some pretty questionable cases sometimes and do some pretty dumb things. Generally, though, I think they do a good job.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: tec699
I'm a liberal. The Liberal Party.

But there is something about the ACLU that just sickens me. It seems that they want to take down America by attacking our religion, the way we live and just American society in general. They do have some good causes but most seem selfish. For instance... the stink about not saying God when an American is reciting the Pledge of Allegence is just idiotic. Jesus... will this accomplish anything?

So what are your opinions of the ACLU?

Take down America? They don't attack religion, just try to keep it out of places it doesn't belong.

How exactly are attacking society and the way you live?

I don't agree with every one of their decisions, but for the most part good stuff.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aluehrs
The aclu supports Nambla (north american man boy love association) they provide legal consultation to "alleged" child molesters....

What's the difference between an "'alleged' child molester" and an 'alleged' murderer? Not much. What's similar? They both deserve defense, and luckily we have an organization in our country who's willing to do it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If you absolutely believe that the majority can be a tyranny that can take away your rights than you have to defend your rights absolutely. That means you have to defend the worst piece of sh!t along with the best. The danger is that without absolute protection what is good and what is not will be determined by opinion. Then when truth is judged to be bad, we are all finished for a time. This is the conundrum of freedom.

The ACLU does not support man on boy sex. They protect the rights people have to express points of view. It's the market place of ideas and Constitutional law whose job it is to deal with Nambla. I don't understand why people have so little faith in truth. Well I do understand, but it's illogical and unnecessary. Truth will always out because its true.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
If you absolutely believe that the majority can be a tyranny that can take away your rights than you have to defend your rights absolutely. That means you have to defend the worst piece of sh!t along with the best. The danger is that without absolute protection what is good and what is not will be determined by opinion. Then when truth is judged to be bad, we are all finished for a time. This is the conundrum of freedom.

The ACLU does not support man on boy sex. They protect the rights people have to express points of view. It's the market place of ideas and Constitutional law whose job it is to deal with Nambla. I don't understand why people have so little faith in truth. Well I do understand, but it's illogical and unnecessary. Truth will always out because its true.

This is a very good point. Society does need somebody to defend even the worst of people. ACLU does get a pretty bad reputation from taking such controversial cases. They don't get press for taking on the quieter and more simple cases. I'd hate to be their PR person.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson I suspect, don't support the ACLU and I suspect I know why. I support any organization that seek to preserve the rights of the people over the government. Ironic that the government is the people and it is the people who need protection.

aluehrs

Aug 15, 2002
Interesting transcript from an oreilly show on the aclu.

the aclu the ACLU is defending pro bono the North American Man-Boy Love Association. We've mentioned it. Which is being sued by a family in Cambridge, Massachusetts, that lost a 10-year-old boy after a member of NAMBLA raped and murdered the boy.

We spoke with the ACLU attorney involved. He says he deplores NAMBLA but believes this insidious group has a constitutional right to coach child molesters, that is, to tell them how to sexually abuse children and if they get caught, how to defend themselves, which is what NAMBLA did on its Web site.

yes truth will always be out because it is true.

here is the link

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,74549,00.html

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What a hypocrite O'reilly is in this instance. He complains that the ACLU uses the threat of law suite to enforce policy, but O'reilly is always pushing for economic boycotts as for example French goods. O'Reilly says he believes it's a crime to teach people how to molest children and avoid conviction in trial. He says he believes it is a crime, but is it a crime? Do we punish what we don't like if it is not a crime, or do we make laws that outlaw teaching how to rape? It's a disgusting issue to have to defend, but what is the law. I would shut Limpbrow down tomorrow if I could. He teaches nothing but irrational hate and how to not have any conscience about it. Ultimately he is a far greater danger, no? I distrust that O'reilly has framed the real issue properly, but I don't care enough about this issue to want to delve into it to see.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The phrase "twilight Zone" was copyrighted so he had to settle for "the no spin zone" He's a fool if he thinks everyone is foolish enough to accept his notion of spin.. He thinks he sees a topic clearly... and every one who sees it contra is watching the spin. Him and limbrushbaw.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I do believe that the ACLU is an important organization. Everybody's rights are important. Even if I dislike what they do with them. I think that a lot of organizations have agendas with deplorable goals and I would just as soon see them disappear. But I have to grant them the same rights as I reserve for myself or mine might become worthless. I really do tire of hearing from ignorant people that the ACLU supports this or that organization because they do not support any of these organizations or their goals, only the rights of the group and the individuals that comprise them. They do not discourage or impede religion in any way either. They try to keep the government out of the religion game. There are, unfortunately, many government officials who are adamant that the U.S. is a Christian nation. It makes me want to scream every time I hear that. We are a nation of free people who are accorded the right to practice any variety of faith within reason (human sacrafice being an example of reasonable exception). The "Red Scare" is long over and we do not need any references to god by our government to differentiate us from the "godless commies" anymore. It was a feelgood, vote grabbing, kneejerk reaction that was seen as especially good because it didn't require spending any money. While the ACLU is on record for correcting many bad decisions by the government, I think it would be interesting to know just how many more assinine things might have been done if it were not for the knowlege that the ACLU might make somebody look like a fool if they tried it.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I don't like the fact that the ACLU completely ignores the 2nd Amendment. I also don't like that they seem pretty anti-Christian (this coming from an atheist). But I do believe they are necessary.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
I don't like the fact that the ACLU completely ignores the 2nd Amendment. I also don't like that they seem pretty anti-Christian (this coming from an atheist). But I do believe they are necessary.

We need a central voice that denies the wholesale termination of civil liberties for the sake of any christian ethic. The only reason now a days to invoke the "this is a christian nation" phrase is to assign the holyness of God to our Crusades. That makes them right ya know... God is on our side... and we can't be wrong... same at home ... Where we need even more protection from our fears.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

They don't ignore it. In fact they ahave addressed it. Here

Of course I think and anyone who understands the english language of the time and how to read would disagree with thier argument.

Here I and Amused address it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
------------------------------------------
You I guess they are necessary too. Where would we be without those Christians. :D

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo

They don't ignore it. In fact they ahave addressed it. Here

Of course I think and anyone who understands the english language of the time and how to read would disagree with thier argument.

Here I and Amused address it.

I guess I haven't been to their website in a while. I could have sworn that it used to say they were against it because it only applied to "well regulated militias." I must have read wrong.

I still don't really agree with their neutrality on the subject but considering we have the NRA to defend the 2nd Amenment, the ACLU doesn't really need to.