ACLU And DoJ Outing CIA Agents

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: xj0hnx
Originally posted by: BarrySotero
Detainees went through water-boarding to get information that saved lives (LA) and not merely to cause harm.

This information was supposedly given up by KSM after being waterboarded after his capture in 2003, the attack was foiled in 2002.

Whoah, Information and Time Travel Too. We should all be Water Boarded! Just imagine what we could do!!

TheSkinsFan

Golden Member
May 15, 2009
What do torture and other events have to do with the subsequent criminal act of outing Intelligence agents to foreigners in clear violation of the IIPA?

Does the one crime somehow excuse or justify the other? :confused:

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Detainees went through water-boarding to get information that saved lives (LA) and not merely to cause harm.

This information was supposedly given up by KSM after being waterboarded after his capture in 2003, the attack was foiled in 2002.

Barry always manages to conveniently forget facts, timelines, or anything relevant to the point at hand.

:roll:

I'd go as far as to say, he's completely stuck on stupid.

Nov 30, 2006

Was it KSM? I thought the odds on favorite was Zubaydah. Dealmonkey...you got the facts? Let's see what you got.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan

Was it KSM? I thought the odds on favorite was Zubaydah. Dealmonkey...you got the facts? Let's see what you got.

What they are referring to is the planned attack on the Library Tower in LA. This article has the details.

Specifically to quote it:
A case in point, the U.S. counter-terrorism authorities said, is the alleged plot that included the Library Tower. The White House said Thursday that U.S. authorities disrupted the so-called "West Coast Airliner Plot" in mid-2002, stopping terrorists from attacking "targets on the West Coast of the United States using hijacked airplanes. The plotters included at least one major operational planner involved in planning the events of 9/11."

Authorities disrupted the LA plot in mid 2002. KSM was captured in March of 2003. Unless he phoned them ahead of time (which would have been quite nice of him), it is logically impossible for KSM's capture to have prevented that attack.

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy

What they are referring to is the planned attack on the Library Tower in LA. This article has the details.

A case in point, the U.S. counter-terrorism authorities said, is the alleged plot that included the Library Tower. The White House said Thursday that U.S. authorities disrupted the so-called "West Coast Airliner Plot" in mid-2002, stopping terrorists from attacking "targets on the West Coast of the United States using hijacked airplanes. The plotters included at least one major operational planner involved in planning the events of 9/11."

Authorities disrupted the LA plot in mid 2002. KSM was captured in March of 2003. Unless he phoned them ahead of time (which would have been quite nice of him), it is logically impossible for KSM's capture to have prevented that attack.
I fully understood what he was talking about. Maybe you don't understand what I'm talking about as you apparently don't understand the relevance of the question I asked.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I fully understood what he was talking about. Maybe you don't understand what I'm talking about as you apparently don't understand the relevance of the question I asked.

I am unaware of any source whatsoever that has claimed Abu Zubaydah provided the information to foil the Library Tower attack. In fact, now that I more fully check into it George Bush himself claimed on February 9th that they had foiled the Library Tower plot, almost 2 full months before they captured Abu Zubaydah as well.

If you were asking if a different person who was captured after the plot was foiled gave information to foil the plot, then my answer would also be that it is quite unlikely unless he phoned them ahead of time. (it would still have been quite nice)

EDIT: To be more clear, Bush stated on February 9th 2006 that the plot had been foiled, and the plot was foiled by the capture of the cell's leader in February of 2002, after which the cell abandoned its plans.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
IIRC from "The One Percent Doctrine", the info was claimed to have come from KSM. There's lots of interesting info in that book that debunks the validity of info gained from our "enhanced" techniques.

TheSkinsFan

Golden Member
May 15, 2009
Originally posted by: TheSkinsFan
What do torture and other events have to do with the subsequent criminal act of outing Intelligence agents to foreigners in clear violation of the IIPA?

/crickets

Nov 30, 2006

I am unaware of any source whatsoever that has claimed Abu Zubaydah provided the information to foil the Library Tower attack. In fact, now that I more fully check into it George Bush himself claimed on February 9th that they had foiled the Library Tower plot, almost 2 full months before they captured Abu Zubaydah as well.

If you were asking if a different person who was captured after the plot was foiled gave information to foil the plot, then my answer would also be that it is quite unlikely unless he phoned them ahead of time. (it would still have been quite nice)
Please provide your 'facts' that the Bush administration said the Library Tower plot was thwarted as a result of KSM's capture. I was asking Dealmonkey specifically as he acted like he had the facts. Do you have these facts? If so, please produce them. No horseshit please.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Please provide your 'facts' that the Bush administration said the Library Tower plot was thwarted as a result of KSM's capture. I was asking Dealmonkey specifically as he acted like he had the facts. Do you have these facts? If so, please produce them. No horseshit please.

That's kind of a dodge, when this whole subject (The Liberty Tower / CA plot) was brought up by BS as an example of saving lives with waterboarding, when it logically could not have been the interrogations of either KSM or Abu Zubaydah, whom were captured AFTER the plot was foiled.

Discussion as to whether the previous administration claimed that anything was a result of KSM's capture are somewhat irrelevant to that point.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Nowhere did Dealmonkey or xjohnx state that the Bush Administration said this, so why on earth would you ask for evidence of it? Please read more carefully in the future. Such a claim has been repeated by a great number of right wing commentators however, and so it certainly should be refuted when it is parroted by people such as our good friend Barry.

All this information is pretty easily accessible. I'm not sure why you need me to find it for you.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

/crickets

You're waiting on BS, he's the one that brought it up.

Nov 30, 2006
Nowhere did Dealmonkey or xjohnx state that the Bush Administration said this, so why on earth would you ask for evidence of it? Please read more carefully in the future. Such a claim has been repeated by a great number of right wing commentators however, and so it certainly should be refuted when it is parroted by people such as our good friend Barry.

All this information is pretty easily accessible. I'm not sure why you need me to find it for you.
Nevermind. My apologies to BarrySotero for derailing.

TheSkinsFan

Golden Member
May 15, 2009
Originally posted by: Pens1566

/crickets

I'm "waiting on BS"?! :confused:

I'm waiting for these fools to stop debating interrogation and start debating the topic of this fucking thread -- which is the alleged ACLU and others' direct violations of the IIPA by their outing of CIA agents to foreigners.

Care to comment on the topic, or are you just trolling?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Nevermind. My apologies to BarrySotero for derailing.

Nevermind indeed.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Pens1566

/crickets

I'm "waiting on BS"?! :confused:

I'm waiting for these fools to stop debating interrogation and start debating the topic of this fucking thread -- which is the alleged ACLU and others' direct violations of the IIPA by their outing of CIA agents to foreigners.

Care to comment on the topic, or are you just trolling?

... as in BarrySotero who used the LA bit to back up his point in the OP. You know, the ORIGINAL POST????

Get a clue.