Ack! Someone Cracked SDMI

Raj

Aug 14, 2000
what is sdmi? something to do with watermarks, is that like paychecks and stuff?
pardon my ignorance.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The Secure Digital Music Initiative is a standard being made to basicly keep people from making any digital copies of music.:eek:

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
[/b]Try as they may, try as they might, the Napster's of the world won't go down without a fight.... ;) Look, DeCSS took less than a few years to completly over ride the encoding on DVD, how do they expect to watermark music when some punk cracks their stuff before its even released? LOL

SHUX

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would have preferred the crackers to keep their cracks a secret, then when SDMI devices came to market and the big corporations spent billions of dollars marketing SDMI, release the cracking mechanisms (be it an algorithm or program). Now, the music industry is just going to go back to the table, not admit defeat, and come up with another breakable, but reportedly "unbreakable" file format.

-GL

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Don't think it isnt costing them money to have to go back to the "drawing board."

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Pathetic. When will they learn there's no full-proof way. It will be funny as hell when they do release and market a new version of copy protection and some 13 year old kid cracks it within a week:).

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
Hehe I read the story like 10mins ago and was going to post about it! Anyway its a waste of time to try and make an "unbeatable" code. Someone out there will be able to crack it, hell there are people who don't have much better to do and well this helps to prove their worth to themselves and their friends, but then again it's just fun for somet people. :)

Crackers ROCK on! :)

radiocore

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
well, if you market it as 'unbreakable' then it will just make it more appealing for people to try and crack it. =p