Acer Predator AXE7800 router with 2.5gbe port, 2.4/5/6Ghz wifi6e $199.99 AP

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Last edited:

gibster

Jan 18, 2002
Is there any way to set up multiple LAN lines from this router to a switch to increase the bandwidth ? The WAN port is 2.5Gb, but LAN ports are 1Gb. I have a 2.5Gb switch, have not been able to see any manuals for the router, that would be a good feature to have, but don't know if this is doable or how that would work network-wise...

Update: I found some info on link aggregation, it seems that all devices must support it, I doubt my unmanaged switches are capable of supporting it anyway, so never mind. I think the holy grail for now is to find a 6E router with dual 2.5G WAN/LAN connectors on a blowout sale. My WiFi 7 router expectation is a bit tempered seeing slightly discouraging results (in terms of range, speeds) from the new TPLink WiFi 7 routers, not even mentioning the steep price. I was hoping the Archer BE550 (or BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Router) would come in at $300-$400, but seeing the performance of its beefier brothers I'm not sure it'll be worth it, not to mention it will probably be $500 :(

That MSI router looks interesting, but only one 2.5G port...

Found this one, totally ridiculous and overspec-ed TPLink AXE16000, for $500 after $100 coupon (camelcamelcamel says it's been as low as $380 on Amazon):
I could actually use the 10G connectivity to the switch, as I got one of the newer 2.5Gb switches with a 10Gb port - I knew it would come in handy one day :D I think this router tops my wish list now, the goal is to get it about half-price ;). I think they will have to blow it out once the WiFi 7 routers become more commonplace... There's probably zero chance a WiFi 7 router with similar specs would be any less expensive, and I think 6E for home use is probably fine for the foreseeable future.

Update; I was actually able to get a new one from eBay for 339 + s/h + tax, not quite half price, but pretty close, we'll see. That's a very reasonable price for such a monster, although I never paid more than $130 for a router before, I guess times are changing... In addition to the 6E WiFi, I will be able to run my whole house network at 2.5G, and in my office, I'll get some 10G connectivity... Looking forward to that, have been on 1G for some time now. From playing around with 2.5G, the speedup is definitely real - repo clones are now ridiculously fast.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've learned of two other inexpensive 6E routers, the MSI AX6600-E, and the Tenda RX27 Pro. Both under $150.

Review for the Tenda at Walmart says it's junk.

Last edited: