Acer Iconia Tab A110 Tegra 3 quad-core 7" with microSD - £179.99 - September release

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
http://www.stuff.tv/news/computers-...urf-war-acer-iconia-a110-takes-on-the-nexus-7

Although priced at £179 at launch, the Acer Iconia A110 matches the Nexus 7 spec for spec and has the advantage of a microSD card port, which coupled with your existing 32GBG microSD card, makes it a cheaper deal than the 16GB Nexus 7. Nice.

A slightly vague end-of-September is all we have to go on for a release date for the time being, so stay tuned for more solid details as and when we get them.

---

This would be a good machine but it's gonna all come down to the screen quality.

No mention of North American pricing, but I'm guessing $199.99 US, and $199.99 in Canada.

---

---

http://www.ebuyer.com/394008-acer-iconia-a110-tablet-pc-ht-hapek-001

Acer Iconia A110 Tablet PC Product Description

Perfect Size for Daily On-the-Go Life
With a 7” display and less than 390g of weight, the A110 is one of the most compact devices to carry, yet is far more effective for web browsing than a smartphone. The compact yet powerful quad-core platform is capable of satisfying your needs for multimedia enjoyment, daily scheduling and light work wherever you go.

Small Outside, Powerful Inside
Grab an Acer Iconia Tab A110 powered by NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor for amazing multitasking, web browsing, gaming, and video that goes wherever life takes you. This innovative mobile processor features the world’s only 4-PLUS-1 mobile quad-core CPU, so you get amazing performance for even the most demanding applications. Plus, it features a unique fifth battery-saver core for a longer battery life. The Tegra 3 processor uses this low-power core to handle your everyday apps, and then kicks into full quad-core mode for demanding apps like video editing and gaming. This means you can now take your mobile performance farther than ever before.

Share your experiences
With a dual type micro HDMI port, sharing those special memories through a monitor or projector has never been easier. The micro USB port combined with the full USB adapter means transferring pictures and videos is straight forward too.

Processor
NVIDIA Tegra 3, 1.2GHz, Quad-core

Storage
Internal Storage: 8GB
External Storage (via Micro SD):
RAM: 1GB

Software
Operating System: Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1
Gmail, Google+, Maps, Messenger, Play Store, Talk, YouTube, Currents

Display
7” WXSGA LCM,
Resolution: 1024 x 600

Video
Video recording at 30 fps @ HD

Audio
3.5 mm audio jack (with mic)
Speaker: above 1.0W/pcs

Networking
WLAN: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth 3.0

Power Supply
Standby Time 240 hours
Video Playback 7.5 hours
Capacity 12.65W, 3420 mAh

Interfaces
USB 2.0 Client: Micro USB 2.0 type B (can be charged)
HDMI D-type, support Dual Display and VGA projecting
MicroSD memory card slot support up to 32G

Warranty
1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Standalone GPS support GLONASS
Acer Ring, Face Recognition Tablet Lock

---

Hey, it's got Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1, whatever that is.

Last edited:

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
The Nexus 7 has a higher resolution display, so it's not quite "spec for spec".

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Pass. Resolution is too low and battery is ~25% smaller than Nexus 7. I guess if you absolutely require HDMI this would be OK.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I'm not as concerned about the rez. I'm more concerned about the viewing angle. The battery is also a significant concern.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I doubt it would retail for $199.99
If so, then that means the Brits are getting gouged and hoodwinked on pricing.

Since when did £179.99 = $199.99? o_O

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
I'm not as concerned about the rez. I'm more concerned about the viewing angle. The battery is also a significant concern.

That would be the first thing I look for.
A 7" tablet is small already so the higher resolution makes the text sharper so you don't have to zoom like you would at 1024x600.
a 1280x800 would be my #1 requirement for any 7" tablet.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010

Thats probably is the price.
All electronics seem to price cheaper in America or else they won't sell.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

Well, maybe $219.99, but I'm still guessing $199.99.

As an example:

Apple iPod touch in the UK: £169.00 ($265.15)
Apple iPod touch in the US: $199.00 (£126.84)

Note though that the UK pricing includes VAT, which is 20%. So, a £179.99 price point for the A110 is actually equivalent to £149.99 ($235.32). That's still expensive, but electronics in general in the UK are expensive.

That would be the first thing I look for.
A 7" tablet is small already so the higher resolution makes the text sharper so you don't have to zoom like you would at 1024x600.
a 1280x800 would be my #1 requirement for any 7" tablet.
I agree that having sharper text is nice, but it should be noted that the primary reason for needing zooming is text size, not pixel density.

ie. I have to zoom lots on my 960x640 iPhone, but I usually don't zoom at all on my 1024x768 10" iPad 2, and I never zoom on my 1024x768 12" iBook.

So, for a 7" Android tablet for me, 1024x600 isn't a deal killer. I'd rather have a good 1024x600 screen and microSD than a good 1280x800 screen and no microSD. The problem is the "good" part. The Nexus 7's screen is good, but the A100's screen isn't - terrible viewing angle, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope for the A110's screen. If the A110 has a decent screen, I'll probably buy it. If not, I won't.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Hey, it's got Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1, whatever that is.

A110 press shots have Jelly Bean, and they've corrected the description now to say "Android 4.1 Jelly Bean".

P600-0394008-02.jpg

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I haven't been impressed with any of Acers tablets and this one isn't much of an exception. With the N7 being better in every way, there's no reason to buy the A110. :/

Acer's going to be clobbered if those 200 dollar Surface tablets pan out, with Asus and Samsung delivering quality tablets, their market vanishes.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
If somebody would ever make a 10" Tegra3 quad with HDMI out and 32gb storage w/uSD card for $300, i'd buy it tomorrow. I'm completely unimpressed with these cheap and useless 7" devices.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Not a chance for a $200 Surface tablet any time soon, unless you have inside info on a 7-incher.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Press release

Acer presents the new ICONIA TAB A110 - Better mobility meets stylish and compact design

Bioggio, Switzerland

If you are looking for a tablet that you can easily hold in one hand and still lets you enjoy web browsing, multimedia, or even work if you need to, you have found your dream tablet. The new Acer ICONIA TAB A110, with a 7" display and less than 390 g of weight, is compact to carry and comfortable to browse, taking your mobile experience to the next level.

Easy to slip in your pocket or handbag, the ICONIA TAB A110 is just perfect to carry with you at all times to read, to browse, to play games or to plan your day.

It features Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which enables easy access to your favorite apps and brings resizable widgets that automatically resizes to the space available on the screen. The widget content refreshes as the size changes according to the widget size and could display larger, richer graphics or additional functionality or options.

Plus, it's preloaded with full set of Google Mobile Service: Gmail, Google+, Maps, Messenger, Play Store, Talk, YouTube and more. Everything you need to enjoy a rich experience wherever you go is at your fingertips.

And, for a reading experience not to be missed, the ICONIA TAB A110 comes with Google Currents, a smart mobile app that lets you browse hundreds of free online magazines and top blogs all in one place. You can enjoy easy-to-read magazine-like editions for high speed and offline reading.

To top off the rich entertainment experience, the ICONIA TAB A110 comes with a 2MP front-facing camera to engage in live chats with your friends. The camera can also be used to lock and unlock the tablet thanks to face recognition, enhancing the security of the device and making it truly yours. And it's also more fun to use!

What's more, the compact size goes hand in hand with a powerful performance. Powered by NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 quad-core processor, the ICONIA TAB A110 allows faster and smoother web surfing, better multitasking, console-quality gaming and HD video watching.

The tablet also lets you bring your videos on a bigger screen for greater fun thanks to the HDMI ports. It can be connected to other devices, such as camera, keyboard, mouse or gamepad via the Micro USB port. While the Micro-SD card slot extends memory up to 32 G, guaranteeing even more room to your digital life.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2001
If somebody would ever make a 10" Tegra3 quad with HDMI out and 32gb storage w/uSD card for $300, i'd buy it tomorrow. I'm completely unimpressed with these cheap and useless 7" devices.
seriously. it's like a "we can't compete with the ipad so we'll make cheapass tablets at a lower price point."

they've basically conceded the 10" tablet market entirely.

heck I feel like Google's conceded tablets to some degree. when your most popular apps like Facebook and Twitter and Flipboard LACK a native tablet version... sigh. They flirt with tablets occasionally like Honeycomb, and then now the Nexus 7.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
they've basically conceded the 10" tablet market entirely.

Asus seems to be doing rather well in that market segment. YoY they are seeing 100%+ growth, Samsung tablets overall are up comparable percentages but they make smaller devices too and I can't pin down a breakout of form factor. Are they selling close to the iPad? Nope. Are they selling more then the iPad did out of the gate? Yeah, by quite a bit. 2010 iPad sales were ~10 Million, Samsung is on pace to beat that by a reasonable margin this year. That is conceding?

Given the pricing of Samsung's cheapest tablet, they are on pace to sell $2.7Billion in tablets minimum this year, Asus around $1.3Billion excluding the Nexus 7 altogether(which based on current estimates will hit ~$1.8Billion).

Hmm, maybe you are right, a meager $4 Billion in sales, clearly the market has been abandoned ;)

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

I'm assuming that the British price includes VAT, whereas the American price doesn't include tax of any kind.

I think that the VAT for electronics is 20%, and depending on where you buy the device in the U.S. you could have up to 10% sales tax, so it's not quite as much of a screw job as it would appear to be at first glance. Also, this assumes that it retails at $200. Then again, if it doesn't, I can't see anyone buying one given that there are better or cheaper alternatives.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Asus seems to be doing rather well in that market segment. YoY they are seeing 100%+ growth, Samsung tablets overall are up comparable percentages but they make smaller devices too and I can't pin down a breakout of form factor. Are they selling close to the iPad? Nope. Are they selling more then the iPad did out of the gate? Yeah, by quite a bit. 2010 iPad sales were ~10 Million, Samsung is on pace to beat that by a reasonable margin this year. That is conceding?

Given the pricing of Samsung's cheapest tablet, they are on pace to sell $2.7Billion in tablets minimum this year, Asus around $1.3Billion excluding the Nexus 7 altogether(which based on current estimates will hit ~$1.8Billion).

Hmm, maybe you are right, a meager $4 Billion in sales, clearly the market has been abandoned ;)

Samsung is expected to sell 10 million tablets this year? That is damn impressive if accurate. Especially since all their tablets have been remarkably underwhelming. Galaxy Tab 2 series is just a minor rehash of the Galaxy Tab series and pretty gimpy compared to other 2012 tablets. And the Galaxy Note 10.1 made many reviewers cry for Samsung. And I don't think they have any tablets with a high 200+ DPI screen (odd since Samsung probably makes those screens for everyone else).

I guess because their name is so familiar with mobile phones, people end up buying their tablets too.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Are they selling close to the iPad? Nope. Are they selling more then the iPad did out of the gate? Yeah, by quite a bit. 2010 iPad sales were ~10 Million, Samsung is on pace to beat that by a reasonable margin this year.
Where did you get those numbers from?

Apple in Q1/Q2 sold 34 million iPads.

Samsung in Q1/Q2 sold less than 0.2 million of the Galaxy Tab, Tab 10.1, and 10.1 LTE combined.

http://www.businessinsider.com/appl...-sales-figures-for-the-first-ever-time-2012-8

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Where did you get those numbers from?

Apple in Q1/Q2 sold 34 million iPads.

Samsung in Q1/Q2 sold less than 0.2 million of the Galaxy Tab, Tab 10.1, and 10.1 LTE combined.

Did you really just use global iPad sales for all models sold to compare to US sales for a couple of Samsung models? Really?

Samsung may have only shipped some 2.4 million tablets, but that number was more than a 117 percent increase from the same fiscal period in 2011.

The same could be said for ASUS, which moved a little more than 855,000 units, yet managed to increase the amount of tablets they shipped during the new fiscal period by more than 115 percent.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...and-asus-tablet-sales-gaining-on-ipad-1090974

Clearly, the original iPad was a catastrophic failure if the Android tablets are currently failing. That works out to ~$4Billion in sales just for Asus and Samsung, ignoring B&N and Amazon altogether.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
heck I feel like Google's conceded tablets to some degree. when your most popular apps like Facebook and Twitter and Flipboard LACK a native tablet version... sigh. They flirt with tablets occasionally like Honeycomb, and then now the Nexus 7.

Google's tablet strategy is a little different that what your making it out. They want their apps to be resolution agnostic, so you get the same app regardless. As a benefit to the user, you don't have to buy the same app twice.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Did you really just use global iPad sales for all models sold to compare to US sales for a couple of Samsung models? Really?
No, those are US iPad numbers compared to some of the popular Samsung models.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I finally held the A110 in my hands.

It's actually pretty sturdy, and the good news is that Android is pretty much stock Jelly Bean 4.1. (I didn't check the battery settings, but one review said they had a couple of extra battery settings as compared to 4.1.) No stupid bloated skin. MicroSD and HDMI both present. It felt heavier than the Nexus 7, but also less delicate than the Nexus 7.

However, the screen sucks. Yeah it's lower resolution than the Nexus 7, but the resolution wasn't actually that bad. It wasn't great, but it was usable. What really sucked though were the lousy viewing angles. Deal-killer IMO. It's the same terrible viewing angles that Acer has with its low end laptops, however on a laptop it's a bit easier to tolerate since you can just angle the screen as you wish and it will stay how you set it. With a tablet you can't do that because say if you put a tablet flat on a table, then the Acer A110 may be near unusable because of the odd viewing angle. You can still use a Nexus 7 this way because the viewing angles are decent.

So I went over to play with their demo Nexus 7, and low and behold, it had the screen lift issue. Nice. :p This store didn't put out a demo unit until recently either, I think late November or else December.

Last edited:

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012

The current conversion factor for electronics when going from USD to GBP is in fact 1:1.