Accounting 101 websites?

Dizway

Oct 24, 2000
Hello. I'm trying to learn more abount accounting jobs. Does anybody know a website where I can learn about reconciliations, variances, capital flows and ad hoc??? I'd like to start out with the basics, I picked those terms out of job descriptions. I'm looking for accounting 101 type websites... I CAN buy a book, but reading for free would be nice. Thanks.

Dizway

Oct 24, 2000
I've tried that, nothing useful... mostly online courses. Google doesn't find everything, the internet is saturated with websites now. FYI, i've tried "accounting basics" "accounting 101" "learn basic accounting" "learn accounting" "learning accounting online".

NOTHING.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Err...if you're planning on doing accounting for a living it might do you well to actually pay for an education.

Dizway

Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Err...if you're planning on doing accounting for a living it might do you well to actually pay for an education.

A friend is looking for a temp job. Most accounting temp jobs are easy. We have a college degree but in Sociology (her) and Psychology (me)... So we don't know the basics and terminology. We're trying to learn enough to get past the interview.

Here's the description:

Entry level staff accountant. Performs routine accounting duties and data analysis for mutual funds or separate accounts. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: 1.Reconcile various accounts (Cash, Par, Pricing and Accruals) 2.Research variances and correct as required 3.Conduct daily verification of capital flows. 4.Conduct ad hoc research and analysis. 5. May perform other tasks as directed 6. Performs work within established guidelines and according to specific procedures. Refers problems to immediate supervisor.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
I minored in accounting and might be able to squeak by at that entry level position. That's not all Accounting 101.