Account hacked

babcom

Nov 25, 2004
Hi, somehow my account has been hacked. The thread started here on February 6 by my username babcom:
was not started by me nor did I post any of the posts in that thread.
I am well aware of what a proxy server is and posting very short unpolite questions like this is something I would never do.
This hacked post showed up in my alerts. I visit the Anandtech forum every day. The last post I made was in 2022 so I believe this is the only post made by the hacker using my forum name.
Thankfully, the funny thing is the hacker did not change my password and all the other details in my account are unchanged. So I was able to change my password. I have now enabled 2FA.
Please beware.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, mine was hacked too. I didn't notice any posts made out of the ordinary, but suddenly I had a member whom is a personal friend of mine on ignore, suddenly.

I changed my PW.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I reported another post from Scorpio which looked hacked. I think the forum has suffered a data breach.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
@SHaines
@CParsons

Hey guys, there have been these posts above and another one I found out. Scorpio.
Can you have someone looking into a possible hack?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Changed mine too. Tried to enable 2FA with email, but never received the email. Checked spam, nothing. Tried twice.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Changed mine and enabled 2FA with the Google Authenticator app.

Is it possible you guys just used the same email and password here as somewhere else?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Is it possible you guys just used the same email and password here as somewhere else?
Most likely the case or DL'd something that scraped saved passwords in a browser or key logger.

Awhile back I DL'd something and didn't bother checking it and then alarm bells started going off with banking logins soon after. This changed my whole approach for credentials and generating random passwords instead. More recently I think a previous breach somewhere else leaked my email password whish resulted in a flood of spam being received i.e. 100 emails per minute inbound from random sites. The problem these days though is a game of whack a mole with leaks. I'm certain there's nothing we can really do at this point when it comes to privacy of personal info. People have a lot of free time on their hands and collecting data seems to be a pass time. Now, they're aggregating info from various breaches into a DB to mix and match things together.

Anyway... diversify your logins / passwords when you notice something as it's likely to extend beyond just a single site.

Reactions: lantis3