Accidentally put a little diesel in to a gas car

snoozing

Nov 7, 2010
at a BP pump i mistakenly put in about 0.32 gallons in to my 2013 nissan pathfinder. fortunately the pump stopped itself (about 1-2 seconds of pumping) & i looked & noticed that the nozzle wasn't completely in the tank & after looking at the pump i realized i had grabbed the wrong nozzle (regular & diesel are next to each other)

my car can hold about 19.5 gallons & im reading that if it's enough then id have to drain it? i dont drive my car often (16k miles only). do i need to run the diesel out of the system?

i know, im a dumbass. is there any real worry for me here?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It should be fine. You may experience the occasional sputter as the diesel works it way out. The % of diesel in your tank should be low enough.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you top off the tank and fill it with gasoline you will have about 1.5% diesel and 98.5% gas ..

I don't think diesel will damage anything, if the car dies and wont run, then maybe the spark plugs are coated with oil, but that is not likely to happen unless you have a much more significant portion of diesel in the tank.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
If you top off the tank and fill it with gasoline you will have about 1.5% diesel and 98.5% gas ..

I don't think diesel will damage anything, if the car dies and wont run, then maybe the spark plugs are coated with oil, but that is not likely to happen unless you have a much more significant portion of diesel in the tank.

I would be more concerned about detonation and the potential for piston damage. With such a small amount, diluting it as much as possible would likely be fine.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I agree with jlee. Top up with gasoline and you probably won't ever notice anything.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
jlee, I had missed your post... Awesome information. Putting in premium makes a lot of sense in this case.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Now this guy put 1/3 of a gallon of diesel into his tank...? I would not worry one bit but if it were around 5 gallons then I would but still watch it smoke... :D (no worries other than possibly clogging up the converter...?)

Heck at one time I put about 4.5 gallons of reg gasoline in my diesel which had about 1/2 a tank or 12-13 gallons of diesel in it... Well it rattled and made noise for a day or so but of course I filled it with diesel and ran the heck out of it which after I had done this (filled it diesel) then it settled down a bunch... BTW it is a 2004.5 Duramax with a tuner on it...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Like everyone, almost everyone, has said...it won't cause a problem, esp. at that very, very low concentration. Just fill up and run the tank to 1/4 full. But you may notice a tad of whitish smoke from your exhaust...just a tad.