Question Accidentally knocked off a transistor or something

meamitverma

Jul 19, 2022
My laptop (Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3i) was heating so much and making too much fan noise so I went for dusting on my own. But while removing the fan and cooling tunnel I damaged a hardware part (check the image) it was transistor or something.

Laptop is working fine, I am concerned what was that part that was damaged should it will damage more of the components in the future? what should I do? What was that part used for if someone can tell me?

Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cMAC8gbhirsfXYS49

meamitverma

Jul 19, 2022
That's right there with Balck box type labelled as 'DA8H6'.

It has been 3 days using my laptop and yet there's not any noticeable difference on performance or any kind of issue. I wonder what part was that for? Will it cause any major damage in future?

Attachments

• IMG_20220717_083550.jpg
    IMG_20220717_083550.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 35
Jul 27, 2020
Looks like a resistor.

Google says:

Resistors ensure components receive the proper voltage by creating a voltage drop, and they can protect a component from voltage spikes.

So if there is some voltage spike, the component that resistor was protecting won't be protected anymore. Depends which component that is. Short term probably you won't notice anything. Long term, that component may have a reduced lifespan.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It's a little curious to me that if it's a fan controller, now the fan runs at 100% instead of not running at all, but I could be overlooking something.

Regardless, the picture isn't the highest quality but it looks like "probably" the pads weren't ripped off the PCB, which is lucky as that is often what happens rather than the solder itself cracking apart or tearing the pin off the IC. I can't be certain though, would examine it very carefully as the pads may be loose and need cemented back down, or broken and need a sliver of jumper wire to the adjacent trace.

This shouldn't be hard at all to solder if the pad-trace junction isn't ripped apart, then ask any of your friends have that skill (or any general electronics repair shop), except that there is no orientation marker for the chip, which pin is pin 1, and a bit odd that the same markings are on it twice, with each being upside down to the other. It is not normal for a 6 pin IC to have the ability to be rotated 180 degrees and the pins still have same functions, unless it was a 3x resistor pack which it definitely is not. Fortunately by carefully examining the crack marks on the solder still on the PCB, you should be able to match up which way around it was oriented.

Reactions: meamitverma

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
You might be missing another SMD component next to where "4" is written on the pcb.
That pad looks like it had something there ?
Check the floor before you vaccum :)