Accidentally hit someone's rear tail light lens

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Standard info: Me: 2001 Toyota Corolla, Them: 1997 Kia Sportage.

Pretty much, I tried to go into a left turn lane, underestimated the space since a SUV was blocking the space, and hit a SUV's rear light shield (the yellow and white, not the red). My mirror holder is cracked and the mirror did come out, but still standing. No scratches on their car, big hole in mine.

I already did the standard procedure: Take contact information, insurance #, license plate, asked to file a police report with the police department (PD said not required). She said she wasn't hurt, and her daughter was just sitting there in the car.

So I wonder how much I'd have to pay. The person says she doesn't want to go thru insurance, but everyone in my family is freaking out that the person may want pain and suffering charges and sue. Doesn't that mean that they'd have to go thru insurance though too?

Cliffs:
2001 toyota corolla (me) hits 1997 kia sportage's rear light shield.
My right mirror needs to be replaced (whole thing)
Person initially says she doesn't want to go thru insurance (don't know if she'll change her mind).
Her rear light shield for the left side just needs to be replaced.

$$$$? Do I have to pay for a NEW paint job just for the mirror? How much does it cost to replace the rear tail light lens? Should I still call the insurance company and tell them? I have Seattle Metropolitan (or something of the sort), and she has Geico. The light bulbs themselves weren't damaged at all.

Thanks...
I'm trying in ATOT not since uhh, no one really responded in The Garage...

Please do not cross post.
Anandtech Moderator - bsobel

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
man the side mirror in my S-10 cost me like $200 and i know the tail light on a mustang is like $500. If that helps

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Ricemarine

So I wonder how much I'd have to pay. The person says she doesn't want to go thru insurance, but everyone in my family is freaking out that the person may want pain and suffering charges and sue. Doesn't that mean that they'd have to go thru insurance though too?

How would she sue for pain and suffering if you just cracked the plastic, and she already said that she and her daughter was fine? I think she'd need a stronger case than what you've presented...

Sounds to me like she just wants to save the time and hassle that it would take to go through insurance.

You ought to be able to get a mirror in your color...come on, you drive a corolla, they're not exactly rare...without repainting. The Kia's plastic shouldn't be too expensive, but often they charge more for plastic than it's really worth, so say $70 or so. They'll probably try to charge a couple hundred for your mirror. Check your local junkyard to save some money.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Ricemarine

How would she sue for pain and suffering if you just cracked the plastic, and she already said that she and her daughter was fine? I think she'd need a stronger case than what you've presented...

Sounds to me like she just wants to save the time and hassle that it would take to go through insurance.

She can always change her statement later on, so that could present a problem...

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Contact a Kia dealership near their home and ask how much the part plus labor is will cost to replace the light bezel. Get it scheduled and pay for it out of your pocket.