Question Accidental HDD array deletion - RAIDXpert array recovery

Gellért

May 29, 2017
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
win 10 64bit
Raid created through the motherboard's BIOS RaidXpert utility (AMD)

I have 4x10TB hard disks in the system. I created one RAID0 array combining two of the drives, and I left the other two as is, but it created two more arrays for the two 'non-raid' drives as well. So I had 1x20 TB drive and 2x10 TB drives. Later I attached a few new drives to the computer but I removed them later. Since I had the RaidXpert config app installed in Windows it warned me that I have 3 offline arrays (from the drives I removed) next to the 3 online arrays ( the 20TB raid0, and the 2x10TB). I thought I delete the offline arrays as I won't need them. Went into the BIOS, selected the 3 offline arrays, and proceeded to delete. Then all of the arrays were deleted. ~40TB of invaluable data. None if the drives would be recognized in Windows not even in the disk management. I read in the RaidXpert manual, that if the same exact arrays are created, then I can access the drives again. I did not know which two disks was the RAID0 drives and which 2 was the non raid drives ('volume'?), but I created a RAID0 array from the first two disks the RaidXpert listed in the BIOS. Nothing happened. Then I thought I check the RaidXpert2 Windows app. I created a raid0 array but now with the second two drives it listed. This time I ticked the 'Leave Existing Data Intact' option in the app (there is no function like this in the BIOS raidxpert), for the cache options I remember that I had it with 'no cache', so I set it that way, left the cache size as 'default', then hit create. After the array was created the 20TB drive was visible again in Windows. Relief. Half of the problem solved. (picture attached (I already copied some data to an external drive and made some space on it in case I need it for recovery of the other drives - that's why it is not full) Now I have to recover the 2x10 TB drives. Since I did not create arrays for those myself, I don't know how should I recreate the same exact array they were in. It only has 'Volume' as an option to create other than RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 so I tried creating one in hope of I get access to the drives again. (picture attached) I did it with 'Leave Existing Data Intact' ticked again, no cache. No success. The drive is visible in the disk management as a new drive would be (the 10TB as not allocated) after the creation but I didn't get my original drives back. I'm sure I did not create arrays myself for the two non-raid drives when I created the 20TB raid0 drive, so I don't know what to do know. Maybe it deleted the array information after I created a RAID0 array in bios again with the two wrong drives - since there is no 'leave existing data intact' option to tick in bios? What should I do now to recover the drives? I feel so hopeless.
Thank you!

Attachments

• raidxpert.JPG
    raidxpert.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 8
  • raidxpert2.JPG
    raidxpert2.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 9
  • raidxpert3.JPG
    raidxpert3.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 6

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Have you rebooted since recreating the 10gb RAID0 drives?
There may be a small chance it may be necessary.

Just for future reference - I stick a label on each drive, giving it the same number as the port it is connected to (SATA1....., SSATA1, etc) and note that plus whatever data (serial#, manufacturers #, etc.) I can get with any of the asst. HHD apps. in a text file.
It only takes a few minutes but I know what is where and who is where ;)
It has saved me several times.

Gellért

May 29, 2017
What I found out is that this AMD raidxpert creates a so called 'Legacy Array' for the new drives automatically if they already have data on them, and you can't (re)create legacy array yourself after you deleted them, like you can create the other volume types again. So it is better to create a single 'Volume' array for the new drives, because you might recreate them again if something happens, and most likely all your data will be intact and accessible. (Like it is with my 20TB RAID0 array - just created the deleted RAID0 array again with the two correct drives, and all the data is accessible again)
I created a Volume Array on the 10TB drives (by ticking the 'leave existing data intact' option), so the drives could be seen by the Disk Management in Windows, or by a recovery program. Then I ran a recovery program featuring a deep scan/search to recover the files which are not accessible an other way.
I tried several, but there is only one program that worked great - File Scavenger by QueTek.

Reactions: getNo

Warren Arthur

Apr 27, 2017
What I found out is that this AMD raidxpert creates a so called 'Legacy Array' for the new drives automatically if they already have data on them, and you can't (re)create legacy array yourself after you deleted them, like you can create the other volume types again. So it is better to create a single 'Volume' array for the new drives, because you might recreate them again if something happens, and most likely all your data will be intact and accessible. (Like it is with my 20TB RAID0 array - just created the deleted RAID0 array again with the two correct drives, and all the data is accessible again)
I created a Volume Array on the 10TB drives (by ticking the 'leave existing data intact' option), so the drives could be seen by the Disk Management in Windows, or by a recovery program. Then I ran a recovery program featuring a deep scan/search to recover the files which are not accessible an other way.
I tried several, but there is only one program that worked great - File Scavenger by QueTek.
Thanks Gellert! you just saved me 2TB of data on a raid0 array I was using for a boot drive...used "leave existing data" when rebuilding the raid0 array from another boot drive on the same system and I literally just opened the folder and was able to copy everything to a backup drive

St0RM53

Apr 26, 2017