Access 2000 help

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
First off, dont flame me cuz i'm using Access 2000, it's what they wanted!

Anyways, I'm creating a database of future business(including OEM, size, dates, etc.) for my company and one of the fields is Vehicle SOP(start of production) date. This date should be a date in mm/yy format. In access 2000, i set it up so the table is formatted to mm/yy and in the input mask, i set up 00\/00;0;; for the required inputs.

My problem is this:

when i go into the table and view the SOP dates, they are not correct. Each date is mm/02(no matter what, all 2002). When i click on each one, i get a more detailed date, which is mm/(the year i set it up for)/2002. So if i enter 07/04 for one, it now reads 7/4/2002(notice the lack of 2 digits in the month and day). How can i fix this?

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
What format do you want the data stored as?

mm/yy
mm/dd/yy
mm/dd/yyyy
m/d/yy
m/d/yyyy

Which one are you looking for as a final product? I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< What format do you want the data stored as?

mm/yy
mm/dd/yy
mm/dd/yyyy
m/d/yy
m/d/yyyy

Which one are you looking for as a final product? I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.
>>

i want it to be mm/yy as a required field.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
wiz, I can honestly say your little problem is beginning to piss me off! I just developed an entire surveillance system in Access 2000 and for some reason I can't figure this simple little problem out! :(

I really can't spend any more time on this as I'm quite busy. You may want to try this place out for help: www.tek-tips.com. There's a whole bunch of Access gurus over there.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< wiz, I can honestly say your little problem is beginning to piss me off! I just developed an entire surveillance system in Access 2000 and for some reason I can't figure this simple little problem out! :(

I really can't spend any more time on this as I'm quite busy. You may want to try this place out for help: www.tek-tips.com. There's a whole bunch of Access gurus over there.
>>

thanks for the help bunker. I didnt think that this would be hard either, thats why i'm frustrated.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Okay, I just can't let it go :). Are you going to be making any calculations off this date? If not you could just set it up as a number or text field instead of date/time.

He he, I'm trying to cheat ;)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< Okay, I just can't let it go :). Are you going to be making any calculations off this date? If not you could just set it up as a number or text field instead of date/time.

He he, I'm trying to cheat ;)
>>

thats what i was going to resort to, but one of the queries is by SOP date and they want it sorted by date.
rolleye.gif

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Buwhahahaha! Set the format to mm/yy. The line just above the input mask.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< Buwhahahaha! Set the format to mm/yy. The line just above the input mask. >>

it will sort by month, though, not by year and then month.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
You can use a sql statement to do your sorts. If you put ORDER BY Date at the end of the sql it sorts by actual date, meaning year first.

Just an FYI - I never use access queries. I do all my queries using sql, so if you need help I can give you sql help, but not query help :).

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
The only thing is, your input mask won't work with this. With your mask Access assumes you are entering Month/Day, not Month/Year. Tell your client they're gonna have to enter the entire date and change the mask. You can still have it display only month/year with the format though.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
store the month/year as an text field.
create a second field that is month/01/year date field
Use the the first field for user interface entry. Use the second field for data storage and date sorting

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< store the month/year as an text field.
create a second field that is month/01/year date field
Use the the first field for user interface entry. Use the second field for data storage and date sorting
>>

how would i have VB do this?

Dim realmonth As String
Dim realyear As String

Left("vehicle sop", 2) = realmonth
Right("vehicle sop", 2) = realyear

that would pull my month and year, now how would i go about inserting the new string into a date box? What command inserts data into a table?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Drop this headache over in SW programming for specifics. Am not a VB expert. Could give you the VC equivalent though if you need it.

Look at a VBA sample in Access or read up on Database handling in a VB manual.
The Northwind sample in Access is a good start on reading and writing to a table.
Once you have ripped apart the month and year, then you will need to convert them into integers and build a date using an VB data type function.

You will have to create a database object and a table object using the database object.
Since you wil be adding a new record to the table, there will be a function that will be like AddNew.
You will then update any fields and then call a function like Update