AC went out... Need capacitor... where to buy? Not online...

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I need a part for my HVAC and have no idea where to get it. It's a capacitor which seems pretty common. Home Depot and Lowes don't carry them.

Where in the word would I find one??? I hate the thought of waiting until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Local appliance repair store? Any local motor repair service (they usually have this type of item)? How about a HVAC dealer?

I doubt that The Shack will carry anything this large guys. A 120V "single phase" motor starting capacitor is quite a bit larger than those things that RS usually carry. :p

By the way OP, how do you know it's the starting capacitor? Does the motor (fan or blower I assume) not start? If it's the fan, can you push it and make it start by hand when power is applied?

Example of motor starting capacitors - 5 MFD seems to jump to mind

Last edited:

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
I need a part for my HVAC and have no idea where to get it.. Its a capacitor which seems pretty common.... Home Depot and Lowes don't carry them... Where in the word would I fnd one??? I hate the thought of waiting till next week....

If you know its the capacitor, then you should know where to get one...

So, how do you know its the capacitor?

I'm assuming its the starting capacitor on an AC single phase motor?

What is its rating, voltage, size etc?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
definitely not radio shack.

its probably some beer can looking thing 440VAC rated, it may be a dual motor start/run capacitor.

sorry, i bought one - online.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I've heard of replacing controller boards but an individual capacitor?
Capacitor replacement was a practice of the past, but you will not find a mechanic that replace just the capacitor nowadays due to insurance & warranty issues.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Capacitor replacement was a practice of the past, but you will not find a mechanic that replace just the capacitor nowadays due to insurance & warranty issues.

because its usually done by an electrician... :sneaky:

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies..

Its a GE Capacitor 370 VAC 3 phase...

It's bulging out the top and no response from my multi meter...

I tried calling local service places but they won't sell me the part.... they will install it for $$$$$$$$$$.. I be a cheap ass.. lol

Last edited:

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies..

Its a GE Capacitor 370 VAC 3 phase...

It's bulging out the top and no response from my multi meter...

3 phase? Is this a household application? Or does it have three capacitors in one?

It should have a microfarad value, so the voltage is not enough. To test a capacitor appropriately, you need a capacitor meter. My Fluke has a capacitance / leakage setting.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
3 phase? Is this a household application? Or does it have three capacitors in one?

It should have a microfarad value, so the voltage is not enough. To test a capacitor appropriately, you need a capacitor meter. My Fluke has a capacitance / leakage setting.

Yes sir.... Its for my HVAC unit... I swapped out the fan from the upstairs to the downstairs to narrow it down to the Capacitor... 100% positive its the problem..

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

insurance & warranty???

i had a bad GE capacitor on the outside unit. the top was bulging but not yet leaking. maybe made worse by the fire ant suicides in the contactor.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
because its usually done by an electrician... :sneaky:
Electrician doesn't replace capacitor, it is the job of an instrumentation mechanic or an electronic technician.

HVAC mechanic/plumber/gas fitter can have a cross over electrical certification that allows them to work on low voltage appliances of less than 600V. And a good HVAC mechanic are well verse enough to work on electronic circuitry.

PS. I'm not an electrician, however I possess a cross over electrical cert and I got 100% on the Red Seal Cert Exam thank you.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Yes sir.... Its for my HVAC unit... I swapped out the fan from the upstairs to the downstairs to narrow it down to the Capacitor... 100% positive its the problem..

well, if you are certain of this, then take it to an HVAC contractor or an electrical supply store (the kind contractors go to) they usually have cash sales. Or if you're in Mid-Michigan, I have a box of them sitting in the shed. :)

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
insurance & warranty???

i had a bad GE capacitor on the outside unit. the top was bulging but not yet leaking. maybe made worse by the fire ant suicides in the contactor.
Warranty on the work, and fire/home insurance.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
insurance & warranty???

That's the kicker.... Warranty ende 8/10/2010!!! Not cool.... No biggie though if I can find the part..

Mines on the outside unit as well.. very easy (and safe) to get to and replace....

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Maybe but when mine went it sounded like a shotgun going off, here is a pick http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff296/butch100_2007/?action=view&current=badcap.jpg OP, you gonna have to wait till monday to get one of those, I got mine at a wholesale AC supplier for $8.00, you won't find one at Lowes, Ace, ect., I tried
Normally there are more than one cap that fails, and most of the time due to high resistant failed motor/blocked return air/dirty filter/faulty wiring/faulty compressor.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You sure it's not a 3 tap capacitor (split value - one for starting and one for running) instead of 3 phase?