AC: Unity - GTX 680 or above minimum, 780 recommended+

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
Haha, not quite. That only goes for the console versions, so calm down.
I hope the game does require powerful hardware while also utilising it properly, that's really the point of PC gaming.

It's fine if people can't afford/don't prioritise upgrading their components, but expecting meanwhile that their outdated midrange GPU will continue to run games on highest settings, especially after a new generation of consoles, well, that's just being unrealistic.
exaclty the point. i dont know why they always neglect the desktop side of gaming wherein hardware spending is much much higher than consoles.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Not buying on release this time but I will buy it eventually

I wish AMD would cut the price on R9 290x , soon as they do that I am going to push the trigger on one to replace my R9 280x

Specs looks quite high , I can see a lot of angry PC gamers over this. 3770k and R9 290x is near enough the highest

XFX 290X is $300 on Newegg while various 290s are as low as $255-275. That's pretty low for last gen flagship GPUs. I bet by the time 290X is $175, we will have much faster cards.

I am looking forward to graphics analysis of Unity. I believe in one interview they mentioned that there is a significant load on the CPU because shockingly they used CPU to perform global illumination. I expect this game to run much better on NV and perform poorly on FX series CPUs. While AC Black flag was way better optimized than 3, none of the AC games ever look good enough vs. the hardware demands. More or less if you play these games, they have generally ran faster on NV GPUs and I expect the same for this GW title. Let's hope after all the hype the graphics live up to the hype because every single trailer of gameplay I saw shows good but not next gen graphics.

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
AC4 was still cross-gen. I believe this is the first multiplatform game that's only releasing on the new consoles and PC. Not putting much faith in Ubisoft still but perhaps it is properly multithreaded.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Like theres a big diffedence between a gtx 680 or gtx 780? Thats a very narrow window so doesnt make sense. Ill wait for official requirements.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
Hopefully a GTX980 will be able to match the PS4 version but I doubt it will.

I just realized these are probably release specs.

In 6 month I imagine the new min cards will be 7770 or a 750.

Last edited:

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com

uh, why wouldn't it. Ubi games don't tend to have the best optimization but it is not THAT bad. With a rig comparable to PS4 (7850/70 class GPU), Watch_Dogs gave similar performance on settings equivalent to console.

Keep in mind the PS4 version of AC is running at 900p, so by default most people are going to be pushing 33% more pixels at 1080p on PC.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Keep in mind the PS4 version of AC is running at 900p, so by default most people are going to be pushing 33% more pixels at 1080p on PC.

Most people use less than 1080p resolution display - according to steam survey.

So, most people will run 900p and lower resolution.

(1080p is the most popular resolution, but the lower resolutions are stretching though different formats and whatnot )

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
Most people use less than 1080p resolution display - according to steam survey.

So, most people will run 900p and lower resolution.

(1080p is the most popular resolution, but the lower resolutions are stretching though different formats and whatnot )

Interesting, but I'd say the data is a little skewed because of laptops.

Like for example, the second most used resolution is 1366 x 768 which is a common laptop res.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I can understand having troubles porting the game and reducing CPU requirements during the port, but they really should be able to scale the game for lower end hardware on the GPU side.

The biggest shock, if this were true, is they are basically abandoning a ton of PC sales.

I think the specs are targeting 60 FPS. These specs are just guidelines, and I fully anticipate the game to be playable on lower end hardware provided the settings are dialed back.

But at the same time, I wonder why anyone would play AC Unity on PC with low end hardware to begin with. May as well just get a console..

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I think the specs are targeting 60 FPS. These specs are just guidelines, and I fully anticipate the game to be playable on lower end hardware provided the settings are dialed back.

But at the same time, I wonder why anyone would play AC Unity on PC with low end hardware to begin with. May as well just get a console..
Nope, it's locked to 30 fps. :(

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Looks like you're right. The article I read was later edited to exclude PC from 30fps.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Holy crap look at those specs. 50GB HD space, 8GB ram, tons of textures for sure, sounds promising. Love the series, AC4 was a blast! I'd slap my headphones on after a stressful day and just set sail to nowhere.

Glad PC isn't locked at 30fps, here's to hoping recommended specs yield 50fps or better

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
XFX 290X is $300 on Newegg while various 290s are as low as $255-275. That's pretty low for last gen flagship GPUs. I bet by the time 290X is $175, we will have much faster cards.

I am looking forward to graphics analysis of Unity. I believe in one interview they mentioned that there is a significant load on the CPU because shockingly they used CPU to perform global illumination. I expect this game to run much better on NV and perform poorly on FX series CPUs. While AC Black flag was way better optimized than 3, none of the AC games ever look good enough vs. the hardware demands. More or less if you play these games, they have generally ran faster on NV GPUs and I expect the same for this GW title. Let's hope after all the hype the graphics live up to the hype because every single trailer of gameplay I saw shows good but not next gen graphics.

UK price for XFX R9 290x is £230 , and I would not buy that one as it has heat issues

The better ones are around £300 -when they knock £50 off that I'll pull the trigger

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
With the popularity of 670's and 760's I'm quite surprised they put a marginally faster 680 as minimum. Especially since you can just lower resolution and get away with pretty much any dx11 gpu in any game as long as it's not a bottom tier like a HD5450 or something.

TechFan1

Sep 7, 2013
I kind of hope the game is that amazing that it requires that much hardware, but it seems unlikely. It boggles my mind that so many AAA games appear not to care very much about PC. Meanwhile, Blizzard makes billions from PC gamers.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Interesting, but I'd say the data is a little skewed because of laptops.

Like for example, the second most used resolution is 1366 x 768 which is a common laptop res.

Yeah I might install steam on my laptop to buy games and browse but the games get played only on my desktop gaming PC. Wonder if that install is counted.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
I kind of hope the game is that amazing that it requires that much hardware, but it seems unlikely. It boggles my mind that so many AAA games appear not to care very much about PC. Meanwhile, Blizzard makes billions from PC gamers.

With that much disk space required, I'm hoping for massively detailed environments.

Optimistic.. :p

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

I just realized these are probably release specs.

In 6 month I imagine the new min cards will be 7770 or a 750.

Lol, Ubisoft's Intern pulled these specs out of thin air. 2500K and HD7970 3GB as minimum requirement? Tells us nothing about settings or resolution. Are they talking about 1080P maxed out or 1024x768 everything on low? With such high requirements this game wouldn't even run on XB1. Sounds like these minimums are for specific settings and resolution.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Seems like they publish these numbers to get people to buy the new nVidia cards. That's it.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'm not sure why a software company would want you to buy a new card.

What it does for me is make me not even consider playing the game.