absolute quietest cooler for 3770K

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nervx

Jul 17, 2004
i have the HR-02 + Thermalight TY-140 fan using pwm. the fan spins at 500-600rpm idle and no more than 800rpm at full load, it can go faster but my temps(load 55C) don't get high enough to push it. my case is an Fractal R4 using only the two stock fans running at 7v.

My pc is:
8GB of Corsair Low Profile(large ram heatsinks might hit the fan on a hr-02)
Asus gtx 670
120mm fan PSU
Samsung 830 SSD
2TB Western Digital Red for storage

in terms of noise if i set the case fans to 5v i cant hear the pc at all unless the storage drive spins up or i put my ear right against the case. this is at night when there's little to no ambient noise pollution. i build with as quiet as possible in mind. i wasnt sure how the HR-02 would work out but i'm more than impressed. I highly recommend the thermalright fan as well, top notch stuff.

g1981c

Jun 14, 2012
i have the HR-02 + Thermalight TY-140 fan using pwm. the fan spins at 500-600rpm idle and no more than 800rpm at full load, it can go faster but my temps(load 55C) don't get high enough to push it. my case is an Fractal R4 using only the two stock fans running at 7v.

My pc is:
8GB of Corsair Low Profile(large ram heatsinks might hit the fan on a hr-02)
Asus gtx 670
120mm fan PSU
Samsung 830 SSD
2TB Western Digital Red for storage

in terms of noise if i set the case fans to 5v i cant hear the pc at all unless the storage drive spins up or i put my ear right against the case. this is at night when there's little to no ambient noise pollution. i build with as quiet as possible in mind. i wasnt sure how the HR-02 would work out but i'm more than impressed. I highly recommend the thermalright fan as well, top notch stuff.

i was hoping to go as low as 300 rpm.

g1981c

Jun 14, 2012
so regarding SpeedFan - somebody said i could use it to set fan speed to zero ... but could it be used to AUTOMATICALLY set speed to zero whenever lets say CPU temp was below 60C ?

if i could use software to automatically switch the cooler between active and passive modes that would be awesome - assuming the cooler could keep the CPU under 60C or so passively when not under heavy load.

?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
The Scythe 500RPM fan doesn't have PWM to begin with.

I don't know of any PWM fan that spins at 300RPM on idle

g1981c

Jun 14, 2012
The Scythe 500RPM fan doesn't have PWM to begin with.

I don't know of any PWM fan that spins at 300RPM on idle

ok so it doesn't have PWM but i would still want the mobo to control its speed. what about that PWM to Variable Voltage adapter that somebody in this thread said he was using ?

being able to automatically control a fan between about 300 and 700 rpm would be nice, but being able to shut it off completely and automatically even better.

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
The Macho is the original Thermalright passive cooler with a fan. I like the supplied fan.
Nans Gaming Gear had the lowest price over Christmas
http://www.nansgaminggear.net/
Check amazon too
Silent power supplies
Seasonic
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-Platinum-Fanless-520-W-Power-Supply-Review/1664
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=200
Super Flower (Rosewill and Kingwin and..)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-SilentNight-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/1666

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
ok so it doesn't have PWM but i would still want the mobo to control its speed.

Motherboards can usually control supplied voltages, I think ASUS has the best fan voltage control. But since you don't overclock, there is simply no need to control the speed. HR-02 will adequately cool a stock clocked Ivy Bridge with only a 300 RPM Scythe fan.
but being able to shut it off completely and automatically even better.
To my knowledge that's not possible without physically disconnecting the fan power cable.

Last edited:

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
As much as this forum thread and lehtv in particular has been helpful when I was choosing a quiet case and h/s/f, I recommend the OP spend some quality time over at Silent PC forums.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums. There are articles and reviews as well.

I've been a member there since 2005. There isn't as much traffic as there used to be since other quiet & silent products like SSD drives and the R4 launched , but there is still good info and helpful folks.

g1981c

Jun 14, 2012
since you don't overclock, there is simply no need to control the speed. HR-02 will adequately cool a stock clocked Ivy Bridge with only a 300 RPM Scythe fan.

i don't doubt that. but you're going too far with logic again.

humans act not out of objective need but subjective desire. i *want* motherboard to control the fan because a stock cooler does that and if i *upgrade* to a cooler that can't do it then *psychologically* it doesn't feel like an *up* grade, even if objectively it is.

i want objective improvement ( dBa ) as well as subjective improvement in areas such as bragging rights, fanciness, awesomeness, and style :)

i want something sophisticated and classy but also functional and affordable and with flawless performance :eek:

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
i don't doubt that. but you're going too far with logic again.

humans act not out of objective need but subjective desire.
Maybe I'm not human then...

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
92mm for what? HR-02? Not supported. only 120mm or 140mm

Smaller fans are always quieter at the same RPM. They also move a lot less air.

g1981c

Jun 14, 2012
92mm for what? HR-02? Not supported. only 120mm or 140mm

Smaller fans are always quieter at the same RPM. They also move a lot less air.

i know it's not supported for HR02. i posted a link before, it would be for this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6?tag=at055-20

yes it has less cooling ability than a 120mm cooler but from the data i seen it has a lot more cooling capacity than the stock intel cooler which seems to be perfectly capable for non-overclocking scenario.

in my application it would only need to be quiet when the system is pulling 10W above idle, so maybe the CPU is dissipating something like 6 or 7 watts above idle. i think a 92mm fan would provide more than enough airflow at 300 rpm for this kind of load.

i mean 120mm fans were considered badass back when CPUs had much higher TDPs than today at 22nm, and i am not looking for badass - just quiet - so 92mm i think should be good ?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
My original recommendation of running HR-02 passively or with a 300RPM Scythe fan stands. Of course, nothing I say will change your mind or persuade you, you're just going to make your own irrational decision

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
That's because
lehtv said:
nothing I say will change your mind or persuade you, you're just going to make your own irrational decision

Which also means that if I said your suggestion was rational, that wouldn't have any effect on your decision either. You just get what you want to get, whether it makes sense or not