ABS light on--should I worry?

JHawk

Mar 14, 2001
The ABS light came on a couple of days ago on my 2000 Explorer( has 32000 miles on it). I don't notice any problems with the braking. Is this something I should worry about or is it one of those things to get me to go to the dealer?

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
I would have them look into it, but tell them not to do anything about it. It could be something you might be able to fix yourself.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JHawk
The ABS light came on a couple of days ago on my 2000 Explorer( has 32000 miles on it). I don't notice any problems with the braking. Is this something I should worry about or is it one of those things to get me to go to the dealer?

This just happened to me too...it turned off the next day i took it in and nothing was wrong...there was a whole bunch ofohter crap wrong tho...

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Mine is on when it rains... I think mine is just an indicator that they are working... (92 Civic)

Nov 5, 2001
Do some googling...I had the issue with my Dakota nad it turned out a sensor was bad. Dealer wanted $150 but I fixed it in 10 minutes with a $20 part...

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
<-- Ex- ASE certified master mechanic of 10+ years
Originally posted by: Beau
Check your brake fluid level, have your pads checked. If both are fine, it could just be a malfunctioning sensor light.
The ABS light has nothing to do with the brake pads... It means that the ABS computer is detecting something wrong with the ABS sensor. It could be a problem with the wheel speed sensor, brake switch, vaccum sensor, or about two dozen other things.

When your ABS light is on, the best thing that will happen is that your ABS system will not function, but your brakes will.

At less than 3yrs/36,000 miles, it should be covered by the factory warranty. Get it checked out.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
edro... go get your ABS system checked. now. i don't want to read about you in the next mailing i get from devry :-/

D

Deleted member 4644

I had a similar problem on my volvo this week. I took it into the dealership and they replaced the ABS sensor module.

trilks

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: LordSegan
I had a similar problem on my volvo this week. I took it into the dealership and they replaced the ABS sensor module.

same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. ABS light on usually means your ABS is not working, although your normal braking is fine. go have it checked out.

p.s. the above repairs cost me a pretty penny, so hopefully they dont have to replace the sensors

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Good luck gettin that fixed. Just prepare your wallet cause its probably gonna get raped if your car isnt under warranty still... :(

Johnnie

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
May 28, 2000
My ABS light was on in my '99 Dodge 4x4...turned out to be the speed sensor..$36