About to pull the trigger!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

semisonic9

Apr 17, 2008
Depends on your resolutions. 1600 and under, it really doesn't matter much. The normal gtx 260 and the 4870 512mb can be had for less than $250 these days, with careful shopping.

1900x1200, it's really a toss-up, imo. If you're playing high-texture games, then it really should be "a 4870 1gb or a gtx 260 216" question, both of which will run about $280-310 atm.

I went with a vanilla EVGA 260 216. After rebate, it cost me like $280, shipped, and I plan on overclocking it to at least their "superclocked" card's speed. I don't game over 1900x1200, and I liked the step-up program and their lifetime warranty. The warranty was especially important, since Leadtek didn't (doesn't?) have a 1gb 4870 the last time I looked.

At 1900x1200 and up, then Anandtech's own review shows a significant benefit to the 4870 1gb card over even the newer 216 variant of the 260. Similarly priced to the 260 216, you can't go wrong either way, imo. It's a good time to be a gamer.

-S

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: SolMiester
Dont forget though if you get an ATI card to budget for a decent after market cooler...

Wow, that is amazing! Did it came out of your personal experience? I assume you had a couple of ATI cards and you felt like you needed an aftermarket cooler for them, isn't it?

The stock cooler is enough, even if you don't mess with the fan. It will run hot, but it will run! If you increase the fan speed, then temperatures will drop like a brick. Where did you got this idea ? Do you think that the GTX 260 is a very cold card or what?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Originally posted by: error8
Dont forget though if you get an ATI card to budget for a decent after market cooler...

Wow, that is amazing! Did it came out of your personal experience? I assume you had a couple of ATI cards and you needed an aftermarket cooler for them, isn't it?

The stock cooler is enough, even if you don't mess with the fan. It will run hot, but it will run! If you increase the fan speed, then temperatures will drop like a brick. Where did you got this idea ? Do you think that the GTX 260 is a very cold card or what?

Yes, I have had ATI cards and friends have the 4xxx series. Dont get all heat up because I and many others happen to believe while ATI GPU's of late are great, their cooling solutions sucks....

If you think a GPU running @ 100c at load is fine, good for you. I happen to think the cooler the GPU the better.....

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Wow, that is amazing! Did it came out of your personal experience? I assume you had a couple of ATI cards and you needed an aftermarket cooler for them, isn't it?

Yes, I have had ATI cards and friends have the 4xxx series. Dont get all heat up because I and many others happen to believe while ATI GPU's of late are great, their cooling solutions sucks....

If you think a GPU running @ 100c at load is fine, good for you. I happen to think the cooler the GPU the better.....

you think 280GTX or 8800GTX runs cool?
:laugh:

since 2900xt, all of AMD's GPUs run 'hot' also and survive just as nicely as Nvidia GPUs
rose.gif

maybe better

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: mazeroth

I can get an MSI GTX260 for $187 shipped on ebay with the 30% cash back. The 4870 costs $198, only an $11 difference. I play on a 24" Soyo at 1920x1200 resolution and have an E4300 that runs at 3.3 ghz.
The GTX's extra memory will help you at that resolution over the 4870.

If you were in my shoes, which would you go with? Another plus, I guess, is I could use the GTX260 down the road for a Physx processor when I get a new video card.
The GTX260 runs Physx very well even as a dedicated GPU. Plus you gain many of the other benefits of CUDA, such as folding@home, Photoshop plugins, video encoding support, etc.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin

since 2900xt, all of AMD's GPUs run 'hot' also and survive just as nicely as Nvidia GPUs
rose.gif

maybe better

I'm not sure, I believe the 88 does. dont forget the x19xx series was hot too. I'm just saying NV tend to have better cooling .....christ, anyone would think I was insulting the pope around here as if ATI can do no wrong since the 48xx series....LOL

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

rose.gif

maybe better

I'm not sure, I believe the 88 does. dont forget the x19xx series was hot too. I'm just saying NV tend to have better cooling .....christ, anyone would think I was insulting the pope around here as if ATI can do no wrong since the 48xx series....LOL

You have to remember that i also have a 280GTX and i love it .. and i also own and ran 8800GTX for many months
--i just don't agree. That GTX used to roast the insides of my case; it made it hotter than 2900xt CF [which i ran off and on at the same time for over 6 months]

The GTX280 is also a furnace; but to be FAIR it does not run as hot as the X2

BUT to be even MORE fair .. the X2 is *two* GPU cores and is probably as hard to cool as the GX2
. . . and the 4870/512 now runs fairly cool .. compared to how it ran originally ooB

rose.gif

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Try water cooling... I'm a silence freak so I couldn't abide that scene. Only issue, and it's a pretty big one, is exchanging parts - such a pain with hose clamps and draining/refilling system for those of us that swap stuff all the time.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zebo
Try water cooling... I'm a silence freak so I couldn't abide that scene. Only issue, and it's a pretty big one, is exchanging parts - such a pain with hose clamps and draining/refilling system for those of us that swap stuff all the time.

i do HW reviews so i can't handle swapping HW back and forth daily :p

my solution for "loud" is the same ... for years ..

crank my Klipsch system and USE those 400w
:evil:

sourthings

Jan 6, 2008
Just look at performance reviews. Right now in that segment the 4870 1GB is the superior card, it's about 3-5% less than a GTX 280 for $100 less. Probably the best bet, but on a strict comparison to the GTX 260 or 260 216, it's the better card.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005

Ehhh... I run RivaTuner solely for the purpose of controlling the fan on my 4850. I'm running it at 40% and frankly, the noise isn't that bad - then again I'm inured to noise since my Shuttle's power supply sounds like a miniature jet engine, even when I put the system to sleep...

On the topic, for $187 the GTX260 sounds like the best deal going.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: sourthings
Just look at performance reviews. Right now in that segment the 4870 1GB is the superior card, it's about 3-5% less than a GTX 280 for $100 less. Probably the best bet, but on a strict comparison to the GTX 260 or 260 216, it's the better card.

i am going to sell my 512MB version and get the 1 GB version for CF X3 - as soon as i explore what cutting in half the amount of VRAM the X2 uses does
- i will be running 4870/1GB head to head with gtx280

probably in a week i will be done with the 512MB version; decent card .. but insufficient for 19x12 .. and definitely not the card to pair with X2 - at least, so far; i am just getting to x48MB testing; on p35 MB the 2nd CF slot's restriction to 4x PCIe didn't give much performance increase
rose.gif

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Both cards have more than adequate control panels excluding the OC capability, for which you need a third party tool anyway. I don't see what the big fuss is really about, how many times do you really get to fiddle with it once you are done finding a comfortable zone for max OC? maybe I am just too lazy, I don't really get to use either program that often, essentially a non-factor to me when selecting a GPU solution.

My systems are pretty quiet, and the 9600GSO I just got (an excellent bargain, btw) is noticeably louder than HD4850 in 3D mode. I did adjust the HD4850s fan controls so it would overclock at an ok temperature. If I had to get an aftermarket cooler for one of them, it would be the none other than the NVIDIA one.

I think CUDA has very little relevance if any at all in swaying the decision in either direction; sure, it can't hurt, but I for one surely would not base my purchase for a gaming video card on auxiliary features.

BFG, could you elaborate on why nHancer is a must have for NV cards? Maybe I should have that installed on my rig tonite :)

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001

rose.gif

maybe better

My Asus HD 3850 never goes above 65C overclocked to 820/2150 on the stock cooler and that's at 1.275v.

aggressor

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I was faced with this same decision and went for the 4870 1GB version. It's fast and all, but I'm pretty disappointed that Vsync+D3D+Vista does not work without an additional program (D3D Overrider). It apparently has been broken for awhile. I don't know how ATI can mess up something like that :\

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: rogue1979

rose.gif

maybe better

My Asus HD 3850 never goes above 65C overclocked to 820/2150 on the stock cooler and that's at 1.275v.

sorry

hd2600 and 2900pro ran cool

i meant the top card ..

2900xt
3870x2
4870 .. and the hot momma of all imo ..

4870x2 is a friggin blast furnace
:sun:

i look forward to CF X3 doing double duty in my home this winter as a heater
:Q

Now that is really thinking "green" .. just play video games to stay warm
:D