About to click buy button: last chance !

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
Hey all,

First off i would like to thank everyone at anandtech.com and these forums for helping me out continuosly throughout the years, even when i was not a member of these forums i would read them :)

Well it appears that the credit card balances are @ 0 and i just cant wait any longer..lol
This is the last chance to modify:

Case: Antec Sonata
Fans: 2- 120 MM Antec ALL clear Pro fans (79CFm @ 29.5 dB)
PSU: ENERMAX EG465AX-VE (W)FCA. 465W
Cabling: 1 Vantec 18" rounded cables for Ata devices, 1 rounded Vantec cable for Floppy
Pad: fUNC 1030 Black
HSF: SLK-947U w/ Smart fan 2
*goo*: Artic silver ceramique

*the Meat*
Mobo: Abit IC7-Max3
Proc: Intel P4 2.8ghz 800 mhz bus (retail)
[edit] Hard-drive: 1 WD 36.7GB Raptor
DVD-drive: Pioneer DVD-116X
Memory: 1 GB (2x512) Corsair XMS pc-3700 (A lot cheaper than OCZ and muskin level 2 3500)

*have already*
Video card: Radeon 9700 PRO
Monitor: Viewsonic Pf790 19" APerature grill
SPeakers: labtec pulse 424
Printer: lexmark Z43 :Q
mouse: Logitech Mx500
Keyboard: some logitech brand..lol
Floppy drive: lol :*(

Well what do you guys think? This is clocking in at around $1200..Not bad for a 2.5 year upgrade to a dream system?Currently i am running a 1.2 ghz tbred so anything will be better!
my goal is to run this system overclocked but yet Quiet (hence the sonata case and 2 quiet 120 mm fans)...the loudest part of my system will be the Smart fan but if temps are in check i will run it @ lower rpm...

:beer:

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Overkiller
Hey all,

First off i would like to thank everyone at anandtech.com and these forums for helping me out continuosly throughout the years, even when i was not a member of these forums i would read them :)

Well it appears that the credit card balances are @ 0 and i just cant wait any longer..lol
This is the last chance to modify:

Case: Antec Sonata
Fans: 2- 120 MM Antec ALL clear Pro fans (79CFm @ 29.5 dB)
PSU: ENERMAX EG465AX-VE (W)FCA. 465W
Cabling: 2 Vantec 18" rounded cables for Ata devices, 1 rounded Vantec cable for Floppy
Pad: fUNC 1030 Black
HSF: SLK-947U w/ Smart fan 2
*goo*: Artic silver ceramique

*the Meat*
Mobo: Abit IC7-Max3
Proc: Intel P4 2.8ghz 800 mhz bus (retail)
Hard-drive: 1 WD 80 GB WD800JB
DVD-drive: Pioneer DVD-116X
Memory: 1 GB (2x512) Corsair XMS pc-3700 (A lot cheaper than OCZ and muskin level 2 3500)

*have already*
Video card: Radeon 9700 PRO
Monitor: Viewsonic Pf790 19" APerature grill
SPeakers: labtec pulse 424
Printer: lexmark Z43 :Q
mouse: Logitech Mx500
Keyboard: some logitech brand..lol
Floppy drive: lol :*(

Well what do you guys think? This is clocking in at around $1200..Not bad for a 2.5 year upgrade to a dream system?Currently i am running a 1.2 ghz tbred so anything will be better!
my goal is to run this system overclocked but yet Quiet (hence the sonata case and 2 quiet 120 mm fans)...the loudest part of my system will be the Smart fan but if temps are in check i will run it @ lower rpm...

:beer:

Looks fine. You definitely won't need to run the Smart Fan 2 at high, or even hear high. more like low to mid.

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
Question:

why does the Corsair XMS pC-3700PT (platinum heatspreader) version of the 1 GB match pairs pack cost about $20 cheaper than the normal PC-3700...they are after all the same latency ratings and everything...I personally would think that choosing the platinum heatspreader version would be ..better?

JSSheridan

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2002
Why is a good question that I can't answer. However, I haven't seen any documentation showing that the performance between the PT is any different from the standard modules. It is commonly held here at AT that there is no difference. BTW, nice system. Peace.

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
too late, buy button pressed :Q

I gave that a lot of thought shady as well. not the 2.4 C but the 2.6...it was 60 dollars cheaper...but i dont want to overclock too much..just around 400 mhz ;), so that is why i chose the 2.8

Thank you everyone

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
2.8 C runs at ... 14 x 200

so you'll run 14 x 233 = 3262

so yeah you'll be right on and be able to run 1:1 with the pc3700 and the 2.8C

good call :)

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
Thank you shim,

14x233 is exactly what i want :)
A nice healthy overclock but not too much. Of course...i'm sure the dark side will call..btw awesome overclock, how did you manage it?
Shim...also, glad i got your attention! Because you seem to be one of the resident *master o/cers* around these parts...could you give me a heads up on what my bios settings should be? thanks!

Well, while it is a dream system...i am a college student with a very small amount of money to build my every 2.5 year major upgrade...Basically i am now left with about 20$ and a few more dollars on another credit card...hehe...
C'est la vie..

I wanted to buy a dvd burner but i can wait until they come down in price, increase in speed, and most importantly the MEDIA becomes cheap. i have a 48X TDK cd-burner that is a dream when used with nero...but outside of backups i dont use the cd-r very much. so that will suite me fine in the new system.