about Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Registration

nn2000

May 9, 2003
I have a car parked in my garage, which will not be in operation for a year. Do I need to buy car liability insurance for the car? I am in California.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Originally posted by: nn2000
I have a car parked in my garage, which will not be in operation for a year. Do I need to buy car liability insurance for the car? I am in California.

I don't see why you would need insurance if the car isn't going to be driven.

elmro

Dec 4, 2005
I don't see why you need insurance or registration if it is just going to sit on your private property.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I think you can register it as non-operational without insurance.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/bro.../fast_facts/ffvr01.htm

exactly but rememeber if you drive that car for any reason your totally screwed if you get caught!!

Yep, PLUS, should anything happen to the vehicle while it's not insured, (garage burns down, car is stolen, etc.) you won't have any recourse. You're screwed. I guess if the vehicle isn't worth much, and you're not going to drive it at all...then maybe

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: elmro
I don't see why you need insurance or registration if it is just going to sit on your private property.

Even though you park a car, in California, the meter on fees keeps running. You either have to license it for the road, or register it non op. If you don't the fees keep increasing, and you will get sent to collection.

Aug 25, 2004
1. If you intend to drive this car again, your insurance rate might go up when you renew, due to a lapse in insurance.

2. I'm not sure, but there may be some type of insurance available for cars that are just gonna be parked and not driven for a long time.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
One can purchase insurance that will cover damages for the time that the vehicle is not registered.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
You can also get 'garaged' insurance for this purpose which is basically a few dollars a month in case something happens to it there.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In most states if you have a car it must be insured. If it sits on your own property on blocks, then that might be an exception where your property insurance would kick in. In a public garage is a different story. If it was in a storage locker, that might be better than a garage. If the state requires insurance to register it. Get insurance and register it and then cancel the insurance. That is best I can suggest. However, if you are paying on a loan the crediter can demand that the vehicle have some kind of insurance.

Ask your home owner insurance agent about this.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jandrews
You can also get 'garaged' insurance for this purpose which is basically a few dollars a month in case something happens to it there.

Correct. Keep insurance on the car, otherwise if something were to happen (such as the garage burning, it being stolen, etc) it would not be covered. Putting my car in storage is $10/mo, IIRC.