About an old game... dating 5 years now... or more lol

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
Anyone remember freelancer... wondering if there is going to be a sequel... that game was awesome...

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Yeah, I do. Sadly, I don't think Microsoft has any plans to make a sequel for it though.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
That game had some great mods for it too, like TNG, which made up for the somewhat ho-hum trading.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Nice game, very arcade'y. Too bad you get the best weapons after you finish the game :p

Game was really nice though, thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for sequels... Give me FreeSpace 3... I mean the story started in the first one, continued in the second... By the end of the second part, when you saw what you were dealing with... I wish they would continue it :(

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Freelancer was the only space shooter I've ever played that I felt truly had potential that wasn't limited to the equipment on your ship - skill actually played an extremely legitimate role.

Too bad it was vastly underdeveloped. I'd be all over a new Freelancer game.

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Originally posted by: Qbah
Nice game, very arcade'y. Too bad you get the best weapons after you finish the game :p

Game was really nice though, thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for sequels... Give me FreeSpace 3... I mean the story started in the first one, continued in the second... By the end of the second part, when you saw what you were dealing with... I wish they would continue it :(

Freespace 3 will come out the day right after Duke Nuken Forever! Promise!

On a more serious note, I would be in tears if they did release a Freespace 3 as a true sequel to such a great series, but the day space sims come back into the limelight is going to be quite a while. Dare I say, another 10 years? Something needs to gimmick the mainstream into making more space sims, but as of now, is pretty much a dead in the water genre.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: AlgaeEater
the day space sims come back into the limelight is going to be quite a while. Dare I say, another 10 years? Something needs to gimmick the mainstream into making more space sims, but as of now, is pretty much a dead in the water genre.

That is mostly because a Space fighter simluation requires a joystick to play properly, while RTS, 4X, and FPS games only require a mouse and keyboard. Developers are leaving out a large portion of their perspective buyers when they have that restriction. Of course they could make the controls like Descent, and not require a Joystick to play effectively; but I don't think I would be that interested in a game like that.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Great game. I finished it... well it's gotta be 5 years ago now. Sheesh time really does fly. I tried it out a couple weeks ago. Got widescreen working (1920x1080), but it's vert- and some of the main menu items don't appear correctly, but otherwise it worked fine.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Serp86
Never mind freelancer.

Starlancer was the real deal back in the day :)

I have that one installed. Bought it when it was new. I wish there was a way to get 32-bit color working in the game.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Freelancer doesn't work anymore, right? I installed it and never saw any servers. :(

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Actually, Freelancer was designed with keyboard+mouse control in mind.

I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I was trying to give my opinion as to why there are so few space fighter games out now, when they (along with plane/jet dogfighting games) were so popular in the 80's and 90's. There is a good chance that I am wrong though.

Freelancer is one of the newer games that I never played. From around 1998 to 2004, I barely played any games; but I remember that it was almost impossible to play Wing Commander or X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter without using a Joystick. I enjoyed both games, and would like to see a modern game like them.

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Originally posted by: Martimus
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Actually, Freelancer was designed with keyboard+mouse control in mind.

I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I was trying to give my opinion as to why there are so few space fighter games out now, when they (along with plane/jet dogfighting games) were so popular in the 80's and 90's. There is a good chance that I am wrong though.

Freelancer is one of the newer games that I never played. From around 1998 to 2004, I barely played any games; but I remember that it was almost impossible to play Wing Commander or X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter without using a Joystick. I enjoyed both games, and would like to see a modern game like them.

No worries. For what its worth, Freespace and Freespace 2 are easily playable with a control pad. In fact, I play them with with one with no issues.

You have to remember back the olden days of PC gaming, control pads were actually the "rebel" controllers, with joysticks being the norm. The technology to map an axis to a control pad wasn't there, even though it seems so easy by today's standards. Now that HAT look and movement can both be on a controller, there really isn't much of a reason to use a Joystick unless you just want the experience.

The only game that ever required actual hard joysticks in my entire existence to play (and still to this day) was Virtual On. (An obscure arcade game / Sega Dreamcast game)

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
No chance Microsoft will make it for the PC. They've shutdown their PC developers to be a console company. An Xbox version might be possible.