About 83% of US coronavirus deaths could have been avoided if lockdowns were imposed March 1, researchers estimate

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
By logical, you mean an article that acknowledges that most perceived Trump’s decision to block travel from Europe as draconian and unnecessary at the time, and also highlights selfish symptomatic stupid Americans knowingly getting on airplanes during a global pandemic and expecting the government to impose common sense on their behalf?

Which should have mattered fuck-all in Trump's decision-making. A leader makes the tough call even if it's unpopular. Trump was not only too weak to do this, he was also short-sighted in his political calculus. Earlier travel bans and restrictions would have resulted in a much better public health and economic outcome. Short term unpopularity would have been outweighed by the boost he would have gotten later on with a much better outcome. Trump will brag dishonestly about his response to this crisis in November, but had he put restrictions in place earlier, he would have had a legitimate reason to brag.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Whether or not he recalled hearing things during the emergency pandemic simulation with Obama. But his train of thought, oh Obama said to do this, must do the opposite.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
NYC is not the only city with a subway system. There are many factors contributing to NYC becoming a hot spot, the local leadership being one of them.

Ugh. Any mass transit system is an obvious avenue of infection, not to mention major airports. When it gets into the working poor, it spreads like crazy because they're used to going to work sick or hurt. They can't afford not to. And, uhh, if you think NYC got it bad, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Reactions: JEDIYoda and FaaR

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
By logical, you mean an article that acknowledges that most perceived Trump’s decision to block travel from Europe as draconian and unnecessary at the time, and also highlights selfish symptomatic stupid Americans knowingly getting on airplanes during a global pandemic and expecting the government to impose common sense on their behalf?

Gawd. A lot of them headed home because they were faced with a cutoff date. Now, or God only knows when. It really didn't mean fuck-all, anyway, because the infection rate in this country was already headed for the moon.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Nature self-corrects:

Risk of dying in hospital while treated with chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine up 34-45%, risk of serious heart arrhythmia up 137-411% depending on the treatment regimen, according to new, biggest study so far.

Ars Technica has more.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Which should have mattered fuck-all in Trump's decision-making. A leader makes the tough call even if it's unpopular. Trump was not only too weak to do this, he was also short-sighted in his political calculus. Earlier travel bans and restrictions would have resulted in a much better public health and economic outcome. Short term unpopularity would have been outweighed by the boost he would have gotten later on with a much better outcome. Trump will brag dishonestly about his response to this crisis in November, but had he put restrictions in place earlier, he would have had a legitimate reason to brag.
Why are you making this about Trump? You can measure leaders by how they respond to a crisis, and he’s failed on all levels. Having said that, if we as a society want to learn and prepare for the next one, because there will be a next one, we have to examine mistakes made at all levels.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why are you making this about Trump? You can measure leaders by how they respond to a crisis, and he’s failed on all levels. Having said that, if we as a society want to learn and prepare for the next one, because there will be a next one, we have to examine mistakes made at all levels.

We have to deal with this first. Trump inspired headsets make it worse, not better. Covid-19 is going to liberate the shit out of us.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Yes, I agree. But if what you'r e talking about is critiquing the fact that some people initially criticized the travel ban, I think you're going to find that people will have short memories and not learn the lesson. When you try to put restrictions in place before any serious problem is evident - which is exactly what must be done - some people are going to howl. It's the leader - armed with more knowledge and resources - who has to ignore that and do what is right.

To be fair to Trump, most other countries didn't shut down soon enough either. Only leaders in far eastern countries (SK, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan) got it right, likely because given the germaphobia of those cultures, the people didn't howl and just got with the program. But the rest of the world leaders were similarly cowardly, concerned only over the immediate backlash and not looking ahead.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I will post this here, those darm Associated Press folks, so bias against commie china, right guys? <s>

But what is clear, experts say, is that China’s rigid controls on information, bureaucratic hurdles and a reluctance to send bad news up the chain of command muffled early warnings. The punishment of eight doctors for “rumor-mongering,” broadcast on national television on Jan. 2, sent a chill through the city’s hospitals.

Trump did all of that, right? LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Have you ever heard the parable of ‘The Boy Who Cried Wolf’?

In the story a sheep boy who is supposed to watch over the towns sheep and protect them from a wolf finds that falsely telling the towns people that the wolf is here is great fun. It spins people up they rush around and it breaks up the monotony or watching the sheep.

Then one day the wolf does come and begins killing the sheep but now no one in the town will believe him and the sheep all get killed.

Now you might think the moral of the story is that getting the towns people worked up is great fun, their tears of frustration and anger at being lied too are sweet, and it’s fine to screw them because the towns people are too stupid to know when the Shepherd Boy is lying to them for fun and when all their sheep are actually being killed by a wolf, but it’s actually not. The real moral of the story is when you lie consistently people will stop believing you even when you are telling the truth and even when you desperately need their help.

For example when you try to put in place illegal racist travel bans on Muslims and end all legal immigration from Mexico after saying most Mexicans are rapist and drug smugglers people aren’t going to believe you when you say another travel is required and it’s totally not racist.

Reactions: Muse

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Have you ever heard the parable of ‘The Boy Who Cried Wolf’?

In the story a sheep boy who is supposed to watch over the towns sheep and protect them from a wolf finds that falsely telling the towns people that the wolf is here is great fun. It spins people up they rush around and it breaks up the monotony or watching the sheep.

Then one day the wolf does come and begins killing the sheep but now no one in the town will believe him and the sheep all get killed.

Now you might think the moral of the story is that getting the towns people worked up is great fun, their tears of frustration and anger at being lied too are sweet, and it’s fine to screw them because the towns people are too stupid to know when the Shepherd Boy is lying to them for fun and when all their sheep are actually being killed by a wolf, but it’s actually not. The real moral of the story is when you lie consistently people will stop believing you even when you are telling the truth and even when you desperately need their help.

For example when you try to put in place illegal racist travel bans on Muslims and end all legal immigration from Mexico after saying most Mexicans are rapist and drug smugglers people aren’t going to believe you when you say another travel is required and it’s totally not racist.

especially if you exempt countries where you have golf courses..

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I will post this here, those darm Associated Press folks, so bias against commie china, right guys? <s>

Trump did all of that, right? LOL.

And then Trump blew it out his ass for a month & a half... Turned it over to the Governors & undercut them continuously. Liberate Wisconsin! Liberate Michigan! Liberate Virginia!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
And then Trump blew it out his ass for a month & a half... Turned it over to the Governors & undercut them continuously. Liberate Wisconsin! Liberate Michigan! Liberate Virginia!

Let see.... "delays"...."unheeded warnings"...."failed".... from NYT...is it about DT?

Not a word from you and your ilks, eh?

But...but....but...Trump...right? LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Let see.... "delays"...."unheeded warnings"...."failed".... from NYT...is it about DT?

Not a word from you and your ilks, eh?

But...but....but...Trump...right? LOL.
I don't remember any city or state officials touting themselves as geniuses and ahead of the game because they knew all about pandemics.

The fucking loser who you laughably carry weight for did, still does, and gets bigger fools (look in the mirror) to continue defending his inane bullshit.

Did the virus disappear in April, collaborator?

Keep carrying that water for dear Leader. LOL.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I don't remember any city or state officials touting themselves as geniuses and ahead of the game because they knew all about pandemics.

The fucking loser who you laughably carry weight for did, still does, and gets bigger fools (look in the mirror) to continue defending his inane bullshit.

Did the virus disappear in April, collaborator?

Keep carrying that water for dear Leader. LOL.

Did you see me make any post to excuse how DT and his administration handle the virus or complain about all the bashing in numerous threads? Feel free to quote me. Take your time, sweet cheek. Oh no, the water is too heavy...LOL.

Just gotta love how you and your ilks would NOT dare to say anything about how blue states screw ups .

"Not going to happen"..."I won't do it"....who said that? DT?

“Fear is as or more contagious as the virus,” Cuomo said on Thursday, adding that a shutdown would only propel fear.

What good for the goose is good for ..???? Just saying. LOL.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Did you see me make any post to excuse how DT and his administration handle the virus or complain about all the bashing in numerous threads? Feel free to quote me. Take your time, sweet cheek. Oh no, the water is too heavy...LOL.

Just gotta love how you and your ilks would NOT dare to say anything about how blue states screw ups .

nm

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Glad to see fudge packer's back.

Oh hi there. Who I am today? Today as a gay guy that does anal sex per you? Am I still a Korean eating kimchi? Who would say such nasty thing? Oh it was you. Your nasty name calling habit is hard to break I see.

Tell me more about diversity, inclusive, open mind, tolerance and all the feel good slogans that liberals love to boast about,eh? LOL.

So much for personal attack is NOT tolerate here. Uh huh.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

"Not going to happen"..."I won't do it"....who said that? DT?

Carrying Water isn't just about defending your cult hero.

Carrying Water includes whataboutism BothSidesDoIt™ bullshit.

Your cult hero had a chance to make a difference, give up on tweeting about locking up his political opponents or whatever, but instead chose to downplay something serious that he literally had the best intelligence about among every elected politician in the world.

And he chose to bullshit and lie.

But, but, but...Cuomo!!11!

Who gives a fuck about Cuomo? Maybe he wasn't good at the beginning, but he changed his tune real fast, and was actually a statesman and a public servant...as is required of his posiiton.

Your cult hero?

Selling bleach, spreading misinformation and conspiracies...all while bitching about how none of it is his responsibility.

Keep carrying water, collaborator.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Carrying Water isn't just about defending your cult hero.

Carrying Water includes whataboutism BothSidesDoIt™ bullshit.

Your cult hero had a chance to make a difference, give up on tweeting about locking up his political opponents or whatever, but instead chose to downplay something serious that he literally had the best intelligence about among every elected politician in the world.

And he chose to bullshit and lie.

But, but, but...Cuomo!!11!

Who gives a fuck about Cuomo? Maybe he wasn't good at the beginning, but he changed his tune real fast, and was actually a statesman and a public servant...as is required of his posiiton.

Your cult hero?

Selling bleach, spreading misinformation and conspiracies...all while bitching about how none of it is his responsibility.

Keep carrying water, collaborator.

Still waiting....anything at all? Anything nice about DT from me? Any excuses for DT from me? Well? Just as I thought. More whining and bitching. LOL. So sad and pathetic.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Still waiting....anything at all? Anything nice about DT from me? Any excuses for DT from me? Well? Just as I thought. More whining and bitching. LOL. So sad and pathetic.
Do I really need to link you posts of people such as myself criticizing Cuomo and De Blasio for fucking this up too? Not sure where or why you invented this idea in your head that no one has criticized them.

None of that changes the fact that had Trump done his job they wouldn’t have even had an opportunity to fuck it up. He was in charge, and he failed utterly.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Do I really need to link you posts of people such as myself criticizing Cuomo and De Blasio for fucking this up too? Not sure where or why you invented this idea in your head that no one has criticized them.

None of that changes the fact that had Trump done his job they wouldn’t have even had an opportunity to fuck it up. He was in charge, and he failed utterly.

No dispute from me about how DT and his administration screw up badly of handling the virus.