Abortion persuasive essay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: electronicmaji
Originally posted by: LtPage1
Go to a library and find an Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics.

In one sentence: It's wrong to restrict women's rights to make decisions about their own bodies, and theological arguments about when life begins are irrelevant.

Yet millions of boys have no choice but to be circumcised against there will each year in the usa.

i can't believe someone managed to get circumcision into an abortion topic

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: LtPage1
Go to a library and find an Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics.

In one sentence: It's wrong to restrict women's rights to make decisions about their own bodies, and theological arguments about when life begins are irrelevant.

The thinking is that preventing a woman from having the right to get an abortion is much more about restricting her sexual freedom than it is about the rights of a fetus. For the "religious right", the consequence of being forced to carry a pregnancy to term is God's righteous punishment for immoral sexual behavior.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Let me see if I can get this ball a'rollin'... :D

A large portion of the debate revolves around the classification of the fetus: Is it a person? Does it possess the same rights that other persons enjoy?

Under the law, fetuses are not considered persons. Consider California Penal Code 187(a):

Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being, or a fetus, with malice aforethought.(emphasis added)
Note that fetuses are named specifically apart from the class of human beings.

More generally, consider the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution:

Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.(emphasis added)
Fetuses, not being born, are not afforded protection by the Constitution.

In my own opinion, however, the issue of personhood with regard to the fetus is totally irrelevant. It is irrelevant because the fetus exists solely at the pleasure and provisional consent of the mother.

No other person, born or unborn, has any right to occupy the body of another person in the way that the fetus occupies the body of the mother. No other person, born or unborn, has any right to metabolically attach itself to the bloodstream of another person. No other person, born or unborn, has the right to forcibly extract nutrients from another person's blood and inject it with hormones and waste.

If another person accomplished any of these things without the explicit consent of the other person involved, that person would have an unconditional right to determine those actions to be violations of his or her fundamental rights, and that person would be protected by the Constitution to use even deadly force if necessary to end that violation.

Now a few other comments...

Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
2. It's not a bacteria... it's not a parasite. It's the natural result of successful fertilization due to sexual intercourse.
A fetus most certainly is a parasite by any ordinary meaning of the term. Also, a fetus is merely one "result of successful fertilization due to sexual intercourse," but it isn't the only one, and it isn't always that either.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: Edgewardb
I am writing an essay about contradicting people's opinion on Abortion. Like how Abortion is right and stuff.

1. Right now I need evidence and I found out that Abortion doesn't necessary kill, it just remove the Fetus. A fetus is a large massive bacteria that is still growing right? So it isn't a baby yet.

Please I don't know Engrish well and can someone correct me?

Dude... Pick another subject.
Whether or not you see abortion as right or wrong there are some basic truths here that you seem to be missing...

1. Abortion DOES kill... Removing baby/fetus from its mother kills it.
2. It's not a bacteria... it's not a parasite. It's the natural result of successful fertilization due to sexual intercourse.

If you get into philosophical medical terminology you're probably going to piss off half the people in the room. (If you call a fetus a bacterial mass - probably more than half) You should probably stick to the reasons why you think a woman has a right to have an abortion. Her body - her choice... The pro-life side as operating for religious reasons rather than medical reasons... and things like that.

Whatever you do, DO NOT hand in an essay saying that a fetus is a blob of bacteria or a parasite. You'll look like a boob.

Like I said before... you might do better to find a less controversial topic.

yet, he couldn't find a more obvious topic for troll fishing.

honestly...who really thinks a fetus is bacteria, and says "help me with my engrish."

WWYBYWB?

Well, if he is a troll, he's not a very good one. It's too pointed to get a real flame fest going. A slightly better topic would be, "if you're pro-choice, at what point should it be too late to have an abortion?" Pro-life people would post anyway and there would be arguments about when exactly a fetus is too developed to abort.

Anyway, my guess is that he has to write a persuasive essay for an English language class and got assigned the topic defending abortion.

but who knows. Maybe he's a TiT, Troll in Training.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: rockyct
Well, if he is a troll, he's not a very good one. It's too pointed to get a real flame fest going. A slightly better topic would be, "if you're pro-choice, at what point should it be too late to have an abortion?" Pro-life people would post anyway and there would be arguments about when exactly a fetus is too developed to abort.

Anyway, my guess is that he has to write a persuasive essay for an English language class and got assigned the topic defending abortion.

but who knows. Maybe he's a TiT, Troll in Training.

Ha... He could learn from this guy...

Originally posted by: Garth

A fetus most certainly is a parasite by any ordinary meaning of the term. Also, a fetus is merely one "result of successful fertilization due to sexual intercourse," but it isn't the only one, and it isn't always that either.

Garth I have a question. What other result of successful fertilization is there besides a fetus? There are unsuccessful fertilizations such as tubal pregnancies... but a successful fertilization where the zygote attaches to the uteran wall... It could be an alien baby? :confused:

As for parasite... A parasite is an organism that is 1. Not of the same species and 2. of external and invasive origin. Fetuses don't fit that description. Not that I want to start this argument again with you...