Abortion persuasive essay

Edgewardb

Jul 17, 2007
I am writing an essay about contradicting people's opinion on Abortion. Like how Abortion is right and stuff.

1. Right now I need evidence and I found out that Abortion doesn't necessary kill, it just remove the Fetus. A fetus is a large massive bacteria that is still growing right? So it isn't a baby yet.

Please I don't know Engrish well and can someone correct me?

Sorry folks, but the op seems to be a trolling, cunning douche bag, and therefore, I'm gonna bring the house lights down and lock the cell.

AnandTech Senior Moderator
C-Wiz1

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
the difference between a fetus and a baby is a very controversial issue

Edgewardb

Jul 17, 2007
So basically what will be your opinion on the Fetus?
Is it consider to be a massive growing bacteria and consider a human life?

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
The argument is over when a fetus becomes a baby and when it is morally wrong to abort it. Some people have different time zones for it. The fetus is the very beginning form of a baby... its not bacteria.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
You could argue it on several points:

- a fetus is a potential human being, and does not in its present form have the capacity for consciousness.
- it's a mother's absolute right to choose to bring a new human being into this world, or not.
- is human life really so valuable that it must be preserved at all costs?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My opinion is that its not a human fetus until brain activity starts.

Let me add that unlike many I don't have issues confusing my opinion with fact.

Edit: Allow me to add that at no point in its developement is the mass of cells which can become a child a form of bacteria!

Edgewardb

Jul 17, 2007
I need some supporting Statement and Evidence for supporting "Abortion". Any ideas on what to do with this controversial debatable Topic?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
why the hell has no one pointed out that a fetus is not a massive bacteria? wtf are they teaching in schools these days?

edit: yes, write that the primary motivation for abortion is that a fetus is a massive bacteria and, if left unchecked, will quickly devour the host.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Edgewardb
I need some supporting Statement and Evidence for supporting "Abortion". Any ideas on what to do with this controversial debatable Topic?

I don't know about the evidence part, but I'm sure you'll get a lively (and scary) debate with plenty of "supporting" statements if you pose this question in P&N! :p

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
fetus is not a bacterial mass... at the very least, it's comprised of eukaryotes.

I hate to sound super critical here, but it looks like you've already come to a conclusion about your research before even doing your research. Maybe you should wait to form an opinion until after you've done the research? If you're just doing it as a mental exercise, I'd try to stay away from saying things that would be more effective when backed up with sources and information. Instead, just pull from common knowledge and work with that.

IMO, a fetus is a baby like a square is a rectangle. It's certainly popular to refer to the fetus as a baby, such as "awww, the baby is kicking!" "can you feel the baby?" people always tend to refer to the "fetus" as a baby when the mother is still carrying. I still don't think we can hold a blastocyst to the same standard as a baby that's ready to break loose, though, which is what a lot of people want.

edit: a good stance to take is that you do not have to support abortion practices to support someone's right to an abortion. For an analogy: I don't support smoking, but I do support people's right to smoke. There are some people that think smoking should be banned just because it is bad for your health. IMO, people should be allowed to make decisions like that on there own, much like we decide to down that diet coke and big mac w/large fries at mcD's, which is also bad for our health.

Not a perfect analogy, but I think you'll get the point.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Start with some common definitions of a human being?
I think of a human being as a constituent of our society, so the interaction between people is where it all starts.
It surely is a sad thing if we have to put a living creature to death, but it is no different than killing another infant mammal to me.
Feel free to disagree with me on that.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm curious why you're choosing this topic, especially considering you seem to have very limited knowledge about the subject.

The reason I ask is that it is a very polarizing topic, and you'd better know your audience well before you approach it with them. I recall hearing about people getting low scores in debates (forensics I guess they call it) just because they chose to take the opposite side of the judges. I also recall that our speech teacher forbade using the topic as, and their exact words were something along the lines of "nobody knows more about this than me". Then again, I live in the midwest where you seem to not be able to go five miles without seeing billboards on the subject.

I'm not saying right, wrong, or don't do it (debate the topic or write an essay on it), I'm just saying that if you're going to, you'd better be prepared.

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002
I would pick another topic... especially if it's some sort of oral presentation. You are going to piss someone off, guaranteed.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

historically, up until the late 1800s when doctors started asserting their profession and wasps in the northeast (who didn't have many babies) started worrying that catholic hispanic immigrants (who had lots of babies) would destroy the fabric of the US (good to see we've gotten past that problem), abortion was legal until the quickening, or when the 'baby' kicked. that was a judge made law, or common law. interestingly (or maybe unsurprisingly), we're still basically there, with abortion basically being legal up until the 3rd trimester.

i guess you could argue that, as abortion initially became illegal largely due to racism, the whole history of outlawing abortion prior to the 3rd trimester/quickening is suspect.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: bGIveNs33
I would pick another topic... especially if it's some sort of oral presentation. You are going to piss someone off, guaranteed.

regardless, be sure and open the oral presentation with "the fetus is a growing bacteria"

that should win some support.

Jun 27, 2005
I am writing an essay about contradicting people's opinion on Abortion. Like how Abortion is right and stuff.

1. Right now I need evidence and I found out that Abortion doesn't necessary kill, it just remove the Fetus. A fetus is a large massive bacteria that is still growing right? So it isn't a baby yet.

Dude... Pick another subject.
Whether or not you see abortion as right or wrong there are some basic truths here that you seem to be missing...

1. Abortion DOES kill... Removing baby/fetus from its mother kills it.
2. It's not a bacteria... it's not a parasite. It's the natural result of successful fertilization due to sexual intercourse.

If you get into philosophical medical terminology you're probably going to piss off half the people in the room. (If you call a fetus a bacterial mass - probably more than half) You should probably stick to the reasons why you think a woman has a right to have an abortion. Her body - her choice... The pro-life side as operating for religious reasons rather than medical reasons... and things like that.

Whatever you do, DO NOT hand in an essay saying that a fetus is a blob of bacteria or a parasite. You'll look like a boob.

Like I said before... you might do better to find a less controversial topic.

Edit: OP... How old are you? High school or college?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix

historically, up until the late 1800s when doctors started asserting their profession and wasps in the northeast (who didn't have many babies) started worrying that catholic hispanic immigrants (who had lots of babies) would destroy the fabric of the US (good to see we've gotten past that problem), abortion was legal until the quickening, or when the 'baby' kicked. that was a judge made law, or common law. interestingly (or maybe unsurprisingly), we're still basically there, with abortion basically being legal up until the 3rd trimester.

i guess you could argue that, as abortion initially became illegal largely due to racism, the whole history of outlawing abortion prior to the 3rd trimester/quickening is suspect.

i can't help but suspect that history is extreemly inaccurate. I've read several accoutns about how difficult it was for women of any class to obtain an abortion any time prior to the 1960s (it was damngerous even then).

the major argument for keeping it legal is that sending it underground, once again, will lead to far more tragic situations, raising the mortality rate of women seeking abortions form unlicensed, or improperly trained "physicians."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Whether or not you see abortion as right or wrong there are some basic truths here that you seem to be missing...

2. It's not a bacteria... it's not a parasite. It's the natural result of successful fertilization due to sexual intercourse.

If you get into philosophical medical terminology you're probably going to piss off half the people in the room. (If you call a fetus a bacterial mass - probably more than half) You should probably stick to the reasons why you think a woman has a right to have an abortion. Her body - her choice... The pro-life side as operating for religious reasons rather than medical reasons... and things like that.

Whatever you do, DO NOT hand in an essay saying that a fetus is a blob of bacteria or a parasite. You'll look like a boob.

yet, he couldn't find a more obvious topic for troll fishing.

honestly...who really thinks a fetus is bacteria, and says "help me with my engrish."

WWYBYWB?

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Go to a library and find an Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics.

In one sentence: It's wrong to restrict women's rights to make decisions about their own bodies, and theological arguments about when life begins are irrelevant.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: zinfamous

i can't help but suspect that history is extreemly inaccurate. I've read several accoutns about how difficult it was for women of any class to obtain an abortion any time prior to the 1960s (it was damngerous even then).

the major argument for keeping it legal is that sending it underground, once again, will lead to far more tragic situations, raising the mortality rate of women seeking abortions form unlicensed, or improperly trained "physicians."

they were dangerous before recent times, no doubt. but then again, up until the 1920s you had a less than 50/50 chance of coming out of an encounter with a physician better off than when you went in, and hospitals were places you went to die rather than get fixed.

my account of the common law is accurate. so is the bit about the doctors. the wasp thing i read in a decidedly feminist slanted collection of abortion essays for a paper my law journal was publishing. so, maybe it's accurate, maybe it's not. it's certainly plausible.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

yet, he couldn't find a more obvious topic for troll fishing.

honestly...who really thinks a fetus is bacteria, and says "help me with my engrish."

WWYBYWB?

Ehhhh... That was my first reaction... but this one didn't smell as trollish as other threads have... This one smelled more like a high school kid looking for a way to piss his teacher off and still get a passing grade. (Wishful thinking on his part)

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

This thread is going places:laugh:

Mar 16, 2006
Originally posted by: LtPage1
Go to a library and find an Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics.

In one sentence: It's wrong to restrict women's rights to make decisions about their own bodies, and theological arguments about when life begins are irrelevant.

Yet millions of boys have no choice but to be circumcised against there will each year in the usa.