Question Abit NF7-S v2

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
My NF7-2 V2 still boots.
Still has the Mobile 2400 oc'd @ 205 x 11.5 = 2350 - 1.65v
Resurrected today from shoe box storage.
I found everything I needed - but an IDE cable --- LOL
Abit website is there, but not functional.

RIP Abit ?

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Might want to post in the Motherboards section if you want more information on the topic. But yes, Abit is gone from the DiY consumer space.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Can you find a BFG video card to pop in there? :p ;)

Got a Ati 850XT installed.
( You should see the MICROCool aftermarket HSF unit on it )

I think I have around 7 hand polished copper HSF units without use now.

Yup, this chip has a lot of time of OC benchmarking the nForce drivers at every release.

I'm still LOLing at myself about the IDE cables. I think I tossed 8 sets into recycling last year. Still trying to think of where I can find a set without buying one.

I think this chip provided the most overhead I ever had.
( 1800 @ 2350 - stable )

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
( 1800 @ 2350 - stable )
I think I managed to hit close to 2.6GHz with my XP-M 2500+ chip, which was 1.86 stock speed. It wasn't entirely stable though, and sucked way too much voltage to run it at that. I kept it running at 2.3 to 2.4 most of the time and it never had an issue. Those unlocked multis were the hotness at the time, and made OC'ing them so easy. They also tended to have a LOT of overclocking headroom though, too.

Reactions: Noid

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
are the capacitors still in good shape?
pretty much all of the early 2000s abits I see around have suffered from bad caps :(
but those were the days, nf7-s was my favorite

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Mmm my nForce mobo was an Asus A7n8x Deluxe. What a board !
Barton were okish but not that much of an upgrade from Tbreds (not to be confused with early Tbirds).

ABIT were also the guys behind the first mobo to run dual CeleronA cartridges before Intel got the neurons to forbid such a thing.
Lol... Celeron 300@ what was it? 600? 700? times 2? Those were the days xD
BP6 maybe ? Not sure....

Those guys did put Raid Highpoint 370 (lol still remember the chip) so you got to run 2 channels standard ATA (2 Max par channel) + 2 channels Raid ATA (software driven Raid) = 8 ATA drives.
Imagine the IDE cables xD in the case...

Reactions: Pohemi and Ranulf

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Mmm my nForce mobo was an Asus A7n8x Deluxe. What a board !
Barton were okish but not that much of an upgrade from Tbreds (not to be confused with early Tbirds).
I had two A7n8x Deluxe boards, and then an A7n8x-e Deluxe. nForce 2 was a great chipset, and those Asus boards had great integrated audio encoding/decoding.

And IME, the Barton's were better OC'ers than the chips that it followed.
...Imagine the IDE cables xD in the case...
I use to have a box with around 2 dozen various length round IDE cables, lol. They were still thick and cumbersome, hard to bend or shape, etc. They just didn't block all the airflow through your tower. SATA cables were a godsend, haha.

Last edited:

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
I use to have a box with around 2 dozen various length round IDE cables, lol. They were still thick and cumbersome, hard to bend or shape, etc. They just didn't block all the airflow through your tower. SATA cables were a godsend, haha.

Yeah, the era they started selling round IDE cables... :)

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Ha! This brings back some bad memories.

I built two computers around the same time, during the 2004 holiday season...
One was Intel, one AMD.
The AMD build was based on that Abit motherboard, and ran an AthlonXP 2400+.
The Intel build was on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe, using a Pentium 4 @2.5GHz.
Both had similar specs, in terms of storage, RAM and GPUs (Geforce 2 GTS).

Within a few months, the Northbridge fan on the Abit motherboard died a noisy and ignominious death.
After searching solutions on the 'net (including here!), I ended up getting a Zalman ZM-NB47J passive cooler.
Then, in 2008, the board committed suicide in a sudden and spectacular fashion: I turned the computer on, only to hear a pop, see smoke and smell burned electronics. I opened the case to discover several capacitors had bulged, and one had completely exploded.

Considering how many enthusiastic reviews of the NF-7S I'd seen before buying it, the whole experience left me with a bitter taste.

Meanwhile, the Pentium build is still working today - 18 years later!
I normally keep it in storage, but take it out occasionally to make sure it's functional, and in the rare occasions when I need something running on Windows XP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi and Thibsie

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
I had ABIT KT7A-RAID (I think it was the RAID version). It was horrible piece of unstable <insert insult here>. Blue screen galore...
I had that board and it was fine. Granted, I also modified the BIOS to add the latest RAID controller firmware to install the latest RAID drivers, but it was my favorite board of all time. Probably because it was at the beginning of my enthusiast life.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Got a Ati 850XT installed.
( You should see the MICROCool aftermarket HSF unit on it )

I think I have around 7 hand polished copper HSF units without use now.

Yup, this chip has a lot of time of OC benchmarking the nForce drivers at every release.

I'm still LOLing at myself about the IDE cables. I think I tossed 8 sets into recycling last year. Still trying to think of where I can find a set without buying one.

( 1800 @ 2350 - stable )
I think I have an ATI 850 GTO somewhere. I think. My mind plays tricks on me. I'll have to pull down some of my parts bins and check this out. I'm off on Friday. Maybe then.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Within a few months, the Northbridge fan on the Abit motherboard died a noisy and ignominious death.
After searching solutions on the 'net (including here!), I ended up getting a Zalman ZM-NB47J passive cooler.

Did that with a DFI Nforce board.
tGccihz.jpg