Abit KG7 .. two thumbs up!

SyahM

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm so glad this mobo install flawlessly .. no need clean install W2K, no hardware trouble .. everything just went extremely well. thanks to newegg for shipping this overnight FOC. Soft Menu III is a blessing ... man, cant say enough to praise ABIT and newegg.... just want to share this with fellow AT. Have a nice day all!

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
KG7 Owners...

Can you configure the two IDE RAID connectors in a non-RAID setup? Like two separate drives not RAIDed together?

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000

<< Can you configure the two IDE RAID connectors in a non-RAID setup? Like two separate drives not RAIDed together? >>

Sure... I have 2 40GB Maxtor DM+ 60 drives set as master on each channel. Works fine in XP Pro. I am using the modded BIOS from Binary's BIOS Mods that includes the updated Highpoint BIOS.

HD Tach Bench

MCS

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
Go AMD-761! :)

I have been very pleased with my KG7, its been as good as gold since day one. I didn't even clean install WinXP, I just took out my old board and put the KG7 in.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Sure... I have 2 40GB Maxtor DM+ 60 drives set as master on each channel."

Each drive has it's own drive letter, right?

I've got some drives RAIDed up. But from the benchmarks I've seen, they seem like way overkill. RAID 0 gives me "performance", but at the price of depending on each drive not to fail. RAID 1 would give me "safety", but only half the size of the two drives.
I'm thinking of just going with two separate drives and Ghosting partitions around them.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000

<< Each drive has it's own drive letter, right? >>

Yes, each drive has it's own drive letter. I fooled around with RAID for awhile, but also was concerned about the array failing, and now use the 2nd drive for games, storage, and compressed Ghost image backups.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We must be reading the same articles ;)

BTW, Is that KG7 a fast booter without having it setup in a RAID array?

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
If you enable the Raid Controller, it boots a little slower because it has to detect those two additional IDE connectors. (no biggie though)

I just use mine as additional IDE so I don't have to share ribbons. (I'm probably superstitious, but seem to have great luck this way)

IDE 1 => CDROM
IDE 2 => CDRW
IDE 3 => UDMA 100 HD #1
IDE 4 => UDMA 100 HD #2

(I don't use raid)

I'll add my $.02 and say the KG7 has been terriffic here too!

Easy install, good manual (used it like a cookbook) and rock-solid stable on XP (I love that the XP natives take care of ALL the MoBo drivers with no additional installs. [ie: you don't install 4 in 1, you dont install AGP miniport driver, you don't install HPT370 drivers.... XP's got'em all right]
but even when I was on win98 (se), the board worked great with latest bios and drivers