Abit IS7 and P4 2.4C - Please Help

YoungChowFun

Feb 1, 2003
Hi. For most of my time working on computers, I've always had to work with AMD's. Only Intel systems I got to work with so far were teh P3's and P2's (when they were still card socket.) One of my friends finally grabs a P4 system and it's my first to work on a P4 setup. Anyways, his system consists of:
Abit IS7
P4 2.4C
2x256mb Cheapo generic pc3200 ram (I'll make him return that junk)
Enermax 350w Powersupply
SLK-900 Heatsink
Thermaltake Smart Fan II
Asylum ti4200
Maxtor 160gb hd
16x dvd-rom
We hook up the ram, the cpu, the fan and the video card. As soon as we power it up,
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep,
pause
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep,
pause
We played with just about every jumper on the board. Also, we get no boot, no bios. SO, what can it be? Did we miss something? Did I do something wrong? Or and the mb be bad? We tested out the ram on a different setup, it's fine. We didn't really get to check out is the chip works or not. Video card is fine. We hooked up all the nessecary ps hookups, even the P4 power supply that's suppose to be hooked up. Again, pleae help.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
problem with RAM

check the timings, seat it properly ... else its a bad chip

Peter D

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2002
any overclocking done? my bro was overclocking his p4 yesterday, it wouldnt go and just made those long beep sounds. could also be the memory

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Some thoughts:
  • Cheapo generic memory, yeah, good call on getting rid of that :p
  • ThermalTake SF II, unbelievably-high power drain. Hopefully you're not trying to power it from the mobo's 3-pin headers ;) Having it report RPM via its one-wire plug is ok though.
  • Also, carefully go through the jumpers, since you twiddled with them all.

YoungChowFun

Feb 1, 2003
Thanks guys. The ram works fine, we tested that out. Thing is, we can't even get in the bios. No overclocking was done, and don't really want to do so until he gets better ram. The fan is being powered through the power supply. For the past couple hours, I've been trying to get a bios boot at least. All I have hooked up is the mb, the cpu, the heatsink fan and the ram. From those items, I should get a bios boot. I checked all the jumpers and everythings in place. I think it may be a bad mb or a bad chip. Does anyone else think so?

joeryu

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
have u tried with just one stick of ram? the new 865/875 chipsets are pretty picky about ram, u should really get some better ram, but i would try one stick at a time first, maybe that would work.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
clear the CMOS, replace jumpers to original settings and start from scratch ... one component at a time

YoungChowFun

Feb 1, 2003
Thanks guys. Problem solved. jOjO316, you're right. We did try one stick of ram at the time. Still no boot. He returned his cheapo ram, and bought a pc3200 corsair (nothing special.) After that, boot up into the bios. That was stupid though. The generic pc3200 worked on different setups but it didn't want to work on the IS7. Thanks again.

NeoZGeo

May 16, 2000
YoungChowFun,

can you post some temps?

I just got my IS7-G and having pretty high cpu temps.

2.8C, swift tech MX4000 w/ TMD fan

cpu temp: 47C idle / 55C heavy load
case temp: 32C

didnt' oc yet, standard 800FSB. But the cpu temps seems very high to me, or is it normal for a 2.8C processor.

Any suggestions, guys?

YoungChowFun

Feb 1, 2003
NeoZGeo,
We didn't get a chance to set up an os on the comp yet. However, I do remember that as soon as we got in bios, and fiddled around it for a bit, I then checked the health status. I was kind of surprised to see it was already idleing anywhere from 46-48C. This was with no side panels on and exposed to room temperature. I'll let you know the full load temps as soon as we get to test it. Also, he's using that 'heat sensor' option the fan came with, so that may be a factor as well.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: batmang
that ram is causing ur problem. whenever u get along beep, its your ram.
umm, yeah. if you read the thread you would've seen he's already diagnosed the problem.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Check out the thread in the MB section for the Abit IS7. It is know to read the temps higher. You can also look at the Abit site forums for their official statement on it.

Originally posted by: NeoZGeo
YoungChowFun,

can you post some temps?

I just got my IS7-G and having pretty high cpu temps.

2.8C, swift tech MX4000 w/ TMD fan

cpu temp: 47C idle / 55C heavy load
case temp: 32C

didnt' oc yet, standard 800FSB. But the cpu temps seems very high to me, or is it normal for a 2.8C processor.

Any suggestions, guys?