ABIT IP35 Series

Flessan

Feb 2, 2001
Hey guys,

I've got most of my stuff for my new build, but I decided to hold out for the ABIT IP35 Pro board instead. So far it is supposed to go for about what the vanilla P5K goes for, but with all the bells and whistles of the Deluxe.

Here is an early look at overclocking..

ABIT IP35 Overclock

Available now at NewEgg for $192 shipped.

Edited Topic summary and replaced my question of ETA with current availability.

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Flessan
I saw June 5th in one post...but not sure if that's for the states. The abit-usa site is not working for me :(.

supposed to be next Tuesday in the UK & the top spec IP35 Pro is ~the same price as the basic Asus P5K.

abit-usa are moving to a new network/servers etc. this week so will be up & down until it's all sorted.

Gepidae

Jun 7, 2006
Looking at the pics it seems like the Pro version is the only one that offers crossfire config. Am I right?

Flessan

Feb 2, 2001
That sounds right, since it's the X38 that is supposed to finally bring dual X16 slots (recalling from memory, so correct me if I'm wrong).

I think the crossfire config on the P35 series will be limited to one X16 slot, with the second one at X4 or X8? Can't remember now.

Still - I doubt I'll ever run dual cards. I thought I would at one time...but when it came time to add a second card, there was a single solution available that out-performed the crossfire/sli option for just a bit more $$$.

Gepidae

Jun 7, 2006
Yup the CF on the P35s from what I see is x16 and 1 slot is x4.

Still - I doubt I'll ever run dual cards. I thought I would at one time...but when it came time to add a second card, there was a single solution available that out-performed the crossfire/sli option for just a bit more $$$.

I was thinking about this too. In all the builds that I wanted I only wanted sli/cf boards but when I think about it I dont think the cost is justified since by the time I would go sli/cf there be a better single card solution. So probably better off just getting a single pci-e board and save some cash for that better 1 card, imo.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
I'm excited about the Abit IP35-Pro too. I hope it's a decent board. Most of all, I hope we get decent Bios support from Abit instead of just a handful of releases over a 6 month timeframe :thumbsdown: . They need to stop using us customers as beta testers. Their board engineers are so talented, yet their Bios dept is a disaster. If it weren't for a handful of talented chaps in the Abit forums, they'd be up sh*ts creek without a paddle.

mojolo

Jun 4, 2007
now the question is whether to jump on the IP35 Pro or wait for the ASUS P5K-E, which should come in at around the same pricepoint (or go for a Gigabyte).

feature-wise, the IP35 Pro and P5K-E will be quite comparable though the P5K-E only has one NIC compared with two for the ABIT.

the IP35 Pro's chipset heatsink system is a little fancier than the P5K-E's, but not by much. i think they're both copper.

Flessan

Feb 2, 2001
Wow. I really thought these things were gonna come in around the $150 range. It's not that I can't swing the extra 40 bucks, but I purposely waited this long to save the extra money (compared to the asus deluxe).

Well, maybe I'll go home and have a couple of drinks tonight. That always makes spending money a bit easier :).

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: mojolo
now the question is whether to jump on the IP35 Pro or wait for the ASUS P5K-E, which should come in at around the same pricepoint (or go for a Gigabyte).

feature-wise, the IP35 Pro and P5K-E will be quite comparable though the P5K-E only has one NIC compared with two for the ABIT.

the IP35 Pro's chipset heatsink system is a little fancier than the P5K-E's, but not by much. i think they're both copper.

fwiw - the P5K-E is listed but not in stock at ZZF for $199 - http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/...p?ProductCode=10005280

Gepidae

Jun 7, 2006
Someone give me a recap- whats the diff bwt the p5k-e and p5k again? The price of the ip35 pro looks decent. Now coupled with some reviews I think its going to be that or the p5k as my board of choice. My fingers are getting itchy to buy one :)

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
Originally posted by: brencat
Originally posted by: Heidfirst
IP35 Pro in stock at Newegg $185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813127030

Great heads up thanks. You already have the Quad GT right? You going to get one of these Heidfirst?
I'm trying to resist & wait for the IX38 QuadGT (shown at Computex) as realistically there is only minimal real world performance difference between P965 & P35.
We'll see though ... :roll:

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
it's not really Intel, it's nVidia.
the gfx drivers look for certain chipsets (guess whose?) before allowing SLI to be enabled ...
If nVidia ever reckon that they are better off allowing SLI on other chipsets then they will allow it in an instant but with ATi not really threatening them at the moment this way they reckon that they can get 2x gfx cards & a chipset sale.

Flessan

Feb 2, 2001
I did it. I pulled the trigger on the ABIT PRO version at newegg. I'll let you all know what I think of it in about a week :).

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
IP35 Pro in stock at Newegg $185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813127030

Great heads up thanks. You already have the Quad GT right? You going to get one of these Heidfirst?
I'm trying to resist & wait for the IX38 QuadGT (shown at Computex) as realistically there is only minimal real world performance difference between P965 & P35.
We'll see though ... :roll:
I am down to the remaining 3 critical components needed for my new build (CPU, mobo, and vid card) but am probably going to wait another 1 - 2 months since I'm moving and don't feel like risking it in the transport. I've already picked up 2gb of Crucial Ballistix PC8000 dirt cheap in the fire sale of DDR2 recently so that kind of rules me out for X38 which will be DDR3 only. So it looks like P35 or new AMD route for me.

Gepidae

Jun 7, 2006
for X38 which will be DDR3 only

correct me if im wrong but I swear I read somewhere certain x38 boards will have hybrids :confused:. I did the same thing you did, jumped on the 2gb Crucial Ballistix rams. Im just missing the mobo, cpu, and vid card as well. I think my choice will be made in a couple of days once more ppl review the ip35 boards. Brencat, have you decided what cpu you are getting?

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Gepidae
for X38 which will be DDR3 only

correct me if im wrong but I swear I read somewhere certain x38 boards will have hybrids :confused:. I did the same thing you did, jumped on the 2gb Crucial Ballistix rams. Im just missing the mobo, cpu, and vid card as well. I think my choice will be made in a couple of days once more ppl review the ip35 boards. Brencat, have you decided what cpu you are getting?
I think you're right Gepidae...looks like AT just put up an article today from Computex and specifically mentioned X38. It appears Gigabyte at least will be releasing a DDR2 version of the X38 mobo. That's great news! And that probably means others most certainly will too.

Regarding the CPU... I'm planning to decide after I move. And if AMD is still nowhere close to releasing their new chips my pick will most likely be the upcoming E6750 with the 8x multi assuming it OCs well.

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
It appears Gigabyte at least will be releasing a DDR2 version of the X38 mobo. That's great news! And that probably means others most certainly will too.
at least abit & DFI are.

Flessan

Feb 2, 2001
Just updated the topic summary since it was now outdated. My Pro arives Friday, and I'll have it paired with 2 Gig of Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 CL4 DDR2 and a C2D E6600. I'm still running XP, so 2 Gigs should be good.

I'll try to get some info out Friday night on stable overclocks...but Saturday evening may be a bit more realistic ;).

Gepidae

Jun 7, 2006
I find it kinda odd that there arent that many reviews out on the Pro yet. Kinda off topic but would it be worthwhile specifically cost wise to wait around for the x38?

Pharmdeity

Oct 14, 1999
Just so y'all know. ZZF has changed the price on the p5k-e, even though it's not in stock still, up to $235. Exactly what the deluxe is listed for. Go figure.