Abit BM6 & Celeron 1200

XPedian

Feb 1, 2003
Having built a new Athlon XP 2100 based machine, I decided to upgrade my Abit BM6 Socket 370 and Celery 433 to a Celery 1200, having flashed the BIOS to give the multiplier etc before passing it on to my daughter.

However, it won't play ball. It just sits there and does absolutely nothing. I've swapped each processor in and out so many times and got nowhere other than the 433 works fine every time and the 1200 dies with nothing happening on power on - it won't even fire up the monitor.

Am I right in thing that with the PC running with the 433 then just dropping the 1200 in should cause no problem whatsoever - which is what the Abit CPU soft menu is all about - or is there some hidden gremlin tripping me up? Please advise.

Currently I'm on the 'I'm always right trip' and think that the CPU's shagged.

Comments welcome....is there something I'm missing? Thanks...:(

10102BORG

Jun 2, 2000
The BM6 does not support the celeron 1200. The 1200 has a different pin configuration and voltage. You can try one of these adapters to see if it works. Have you tried running the 433 @ 650 yet?

Socket 370 Tualatin Adapter

Sorry I can't help you further on this one.......all I know about the adapter comes from the site.

Oct 11, 1999
Me thinks that the BM6 don't support the faster flip chip celerons. The Bm6 tops out at 550 to 600. It is possible to get a 550 and set the bus to 100 and get it up to 850. Hope that I'm wrong, cause I got one sitting on the back shelf.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You need a special adapter available from Stratton Computers. They don't list your bm6 as compatible, but it may well actually be compatible. I'd contact them, see what they have to say.

Stratton

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
stay away from these adaptor!!! they are all defective!!! this is one of the reason why they couldn't sell worth of crap. i bought 3 and it has fried my motherboard! god, that was a waste of $$$ and time...
they don't fit very well in the socket either as the pin are all out of alignment. At the moment I am trying to return for a refund and they keep redirecting me to techinician to see if they can fix the problem. bahahaha! I just want my money back, damnit package2you!
some people say that they sell junk, and their right, they are junk! obsolutely useless and overly priced. like paying for things out of the trashcan :(

Originally posted by: 10102BORG
The BM6 does not support the celeron 1200. The 1200 has a different pin configuration and voltage. You can try one of these adapters to see if it works. Have you tried running the 433 @ 650 yet?

Socket 370 Tualatin Adapter

Sorry I can't help you further on this one.......all I know about the adapter comes from the site.

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
why not just upgrade to XP1700 200 percent faster, and cost is under 100 provided that you can find mobo for less then 50. Celeron TUATALIN IS very weak processor, having another 128k cache did no good as it is limited with 100FSB vs Duron 200FSB, runs cooler but not very good for gaming either.

Originally posted by: Jhhnn
You need a special adapter available from Stratton Computers. They don't list your bm6 as compatible, but it may well actually be compatible. I'd contact them, see what they have to say.

Stratton

XPedian

Feb 1, 2003
Too late - I ordered an adaptor from Titanium Micros in the UK. May well have done better to have spent more and got a cheapo mobo...

I'll let you know how it went - boot or boom!:D

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
wish you luck, intel screwed us all up. Just upgrading to 1ghz+ with 256k cache shouldn't be this difficult. I am so mad, i will never buy from intel again. They don't stand behind their product, always switching, and baiting us for more $$$ out the windows. They switched one pin btw, there is no voltage incompatible. It was a rub in the salt...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Dunno that the adapter from Stratton and the one from Package2U are the same- doesn't look like it from the pics. The slot adapters from stratton are decently made and work as advertised, I have no experience with the socket adapters.

Depending on the goal and the pocketbook, the tualatins can be a reasonable upgrade- they're considerably faster than the ppga celerons, for sure. Having a 100mhz bus can be an advantage, if you need to keep the old RAM and vidcard. And the low power consumption allows you to not upgrade that 200w psu.

We won't do more than mention the convenience- flash the bios, switch the parts, end of subject. For most folks, computers are a means rather than an end in themselves- they're not really interested in chasing down drivers and patches from all over the web to get their old hardware bits to work with a new cpu/mobo....