Abit BD7II Heat Sensoring issues?

Toetagger

Jul 1, 2002
Hi,

I just put together my Abit BD7II Motherboard with a P4 1.6a processor (retail). I put the retail fan and heatsink on. When I turn on the pc, and go directly into bios and then the health monitoring, I get a reading of about 45 Celcius for the case and 69 to 70 for the CPU (accroding to bios). Now I know that the CPU can't heat up that fast. I even called Intel and checked with them, and they say that it should take several minutes for the CPU to heat up that fast. I called Abit, and they tell my my Antec TruePower 430 might not be working correctly.

I am still runing the earliest version of their Bios, but according to their Tech Suport, the revisions of their bios did not change anything with their heat meassuring system. What should I do now?

Toetagger

Jul 1, 2002
I reinstalled the heatsink and the fan.

Interesting thing that I noticed, is that the fan is blwoing air INTO the heatsink. Is that supposed to be that way?

Now the Idle temp is about 47 Celcius, which could be, but still sounds high.

jhites

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Toetagger
I reinstalled the heatsink and the fan.

Interesting thing that I noticed, is that the fan is blwoing air INTO the heatsink. Is that supposed to be that way?

Now the Idle temp is about 47 Celcius, which could be, but still sounds high.

Yes - the fan should be blowing into the heatsink. About the only cooler that suck air out is the Alpha, and sometimes that works better to blow in as well.

Your idle temp will vary with your ambiant temps. Mine right now is reading 41C with the ambiant temp at 23C and system at 35C.

yayoiz

Jul 24, 2002
It seems ABIT BD7II has this temperature issue, I dont know if some one in Taiwan pays attention to this. But one thing for sure is that they issue out a BIOS number 9x following the previous one the 93. Believe it or not this Bios undervolt everything sent to the CPU so the temperature readings come down relatively. By doing this, OCers have trouble reaching the same clock setting they use to achieve before BIOS UPGRADING. Mine is exactly the case, I have to download the 93 release to replace the 9x version. Others who might have similar issues please post.:confused:

jhites

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2000
The BD7II has always run under even on the original BIOS. Default=1.45 for this board and not 1.50v.

V0LKY

Jul 28, 2002
I have the same board with P4 1.8A and when idle,the cpu is 52 and the system is 46 degrees. When running under full-load both temperatures increase about 10 degrees. I have tried re-installing the hsf several times,I even removed the thermal meterial from the retail hsf and used a thermal paste but it`s still the same. I have no instability problems,so I don`t try anymore.

yayoiz

Jul 24, 2002
Out of my suspicious I did take the trouble installing a small heatsink (with heat conductive epoxy) on the back of each power regulator chips (the 5 in-row on the left side of the 478 socket). The result is clear that the temp. drop from a usual 54 to 51 under Prime95 and under light load it remains at a healthy level below 40 C at which I have never got down to. As ABIT has gain its reputation through OCing circle (am I wrong?), it would be worthwhile if they stick HS to these regulator chips. I once openned up an old IBM Pentium box and found that they did have a separate power supply module for the CPU sticking out from the motherboard, just for thought !